“Didn't live up to expectations!”
Review of Shang Palace

Shang Palace
Ranked #141 of 10,546 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Description: The Michelin two-star Shang Palace serves Cantonese specialities that evoke the grandeur of traditional China. The delicious food, ornate decor and friendly staff make dining here a truly wonderful and memorable experience.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We promised our daughters an amazing meal so all our expectations were very high. Sadly, despite fantastic staff, the food was less than impressive and we all agreed we had eaten comparable and often better Chinese food at our local restaurant at home.

KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Shang Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear Richard G, I am very much concerned to hear that your meal at Shang Palace did not live up to your expectations. Could you please be in touch with our Director of Food and Beverage at antoine.babin@shangri-la.com and provide us details of your dining experience so that we can address to your concern directly? Your comments are much appreciated and will definitely help us for continuous improvement. Thank you also for your nice comments on our staff, we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back and to delight you again next time. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Even from the beginning , it doesn't look good. The staff from the entrance is not happy to host me. When I said , I was about to go in, they said please wait a while. I waited and I told them if the restaurant is fully booked, I will just go to the nadaman japanese restaurant. Then suddenly , they let me in . When I received my order of cold Sake, it was terrible. I got the SAKE mixed with ICE in the glass.
I didn't complain for 20 mins. No body appear to apologize. However , when I started to complain , the other waiter immediately came and apologied and change the the SAKE ( chilled one) . TERRIBLE.
What kind of restaurant it is ?
Anyway, the food here is vrry good . The taste is so nice . I am the Jade member of Golden Circle ( Shangrila Hotel) and I stayed in this hotel more than 30 times but .. .... .
Don't forget to complain here. Otherwise ----------- .

KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Shang Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Naingaung9591, Thank you for bringing your observations to our attention. I am most concerned to hear about your experience and the slip-up at Shang Palace. Your constructive criticism is very much appreciated and certainly does assist us in maintaining the standards we require and your are entitled to expect. Our Director of Food and Beverage will reinforce internal training to ensure service excellence. Thank you also for your nice comments on our food. We hope to have another opportunity to delight you again in the near future. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We went there for a business dim sum lunch. The interior is better after renovation. The waiters and the presentation of dishes were first class. The food was good but not exceptional. Would have expected more from a 2 Michelin star restaurant. Avoid the Ciao Long Bao. But then again complete lunch for 3 set us back only 800 HKD which is quite a bargain internationally.

KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Shang Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Alex H, thank you for your positive comments regarding the interior, service and presentation of dishes at Shang Palace. We are also glad that you found the lunch good value for money, and hope that you will find the food to your liking on your future visits. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We ate here on our last night in Hong Kong and thought it would be a wonderful way to round off a memorable trip with viking to china and Hong Kong . We were extremely disappointed with both the food and the service .
Cannot understand how this has any michelin star let alone two !

1  Thank Dlva19
KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Shang Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Dlva19, I am very much concerned to hear your comments on Shang Palace. Could you please write to my Director of Food and Beverage at antoine.babin@shangri-la.com with details of your experience, so we can look into the matter? We value your comments as they will certainly help us for continuous improvement and service excellence. We hope to have the opportunities to welcome you back in the near future and to delight you with our hospitality. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We family have my lunar birthday celebration here. We all have a very memorable dining experience here.

When we arrived, they kept our belonging well in custody. Then, we are given a lovely welcoming tea with refreshing flavour. There are various choices of Chinese tea for us to choose from and we choose ShouMei Tea which is of very high quality. Next time we are going to try out their PuEr Tea. The appetiser, "pickled carrot with apricot", taste nice and it arise our appetite for the coming dishes.

We ordered "Braised spare ribs with Chin Kiang vinegar. It smelt very nice and the vinegar is of high quality. The portion of fat is proper and it is less heavy then what we have had "Red Fried Pork" before. The meat have good texture and we all enjoyed it.

Then, it comes the BBQ pork loin glazed with honey sauce! We four all considered it is the most delicious BBQ Pork we have ever had! It is made from a iberico!! The texture is excellent and the fat proportion is nice. The sweet sauce just match the dish well! We loved it~

Next come the "Steamed Watermelon Rolled with Assorted Vegetables in Conpoy Sauce", which is of limited time offer. This dishes meet our summer! Still taste nice especially with the watermelon slice.

We recommended having the "Braised E-fu noodles and wild mushrooms with black truffle oil" with the vinegar they provided as a sauce. The black truffle smelt excellent and we finish the whole dish without any heavy or oily feeling! That's really fantastic~

For the dessert, we've ordered "Chilled mango juice with pomelo and sago" and "Chilled mango pudding" both taste fresh and the sweetness is very good. As we are having a birthday celebration with "Longevity peach bun".

The service is of excellent standard, all the waiters are helpful and wore a nice smile. We will be back soon!

1  Thank wong_yuen_yee
KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Shang Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear wong_yuen_yee, thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at Shang Palace and you rated our food and service quality highly. We look forward to your many happy return visits soon. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager