“Dim sum delight”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We had a late lunch after 2pm and did not have to queue.The prawn dumblings are delicious,the wrappers are translucently light.The pork buns are crispy on the outer but light to the bite.However, the sittings are very cramp,not a venue for social catch up.More a Eat and Leave.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,314)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

There is always a queue but the best time to go is before it opens on a weekday. Get there at least 20 minutes before it opens and you will probably get a table for the first seating. The menu is small compared to some dim sum restaurants but what they serve, they do really well. I love the glutinous rice as well as the turnip cake. The char siu polo bao is one of their specialties. I will always try to take away some for my family when I travel back home.

1  Thank AvidKLTraveller
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This pork buns (char siu bao) at this Michelin star establishment is one of my Hong Kong must-haves. They are topped with a sweet crust that breaks apart as you bite into the soft bun and reveal the flavorful pork filling. There is a wait at the location in IFC Mall no matter what time of day you go and for good reason - this acclaimed restaurant offers their delicious dim sum at very affordable prices.

The space is tight, so we practically shared a table with the next group (only a small "wall" of seasonings separated us), but people don't mind each other and keep to themselves as they enjoy their dim sum.

Service is quick and efficient - you mark your order on a slip that they give you while you wait, so there is also a bit of a self service component here.

Read more about what I ate here: http://whyhellomel.blogspot.com/2013/09/tim-ho-wan-hong-kong.html

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We visited 2 weeks ago...If you don't mind the wait, give this place a try. The queue is always crazy and I have to say we were extremely lucky and waited for only 15 mins to get in. The menu is quite simple with only about 30 choices, none costing more than HKD20, so two people can stuff themselves for about 100. We ordered the famous crispy bbq pork bun and tried their fresh dim sum...Will definitely come back again when I visit Hong Kong.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was one of the best meals of my life. Actually two of the best meals, we had to go back for a second time.

No kidding, these are the best char siu bao (BBQ pork buns) on Earth.

It's a bit hard to find at first - tucked away on the bottom floor of the IFC Mall in Central.

You absolutely will wait >20 minutes, but show me another Michelin-starred restaurant where you can walk up to the door in shorts and a T-shirt, and pay $20 for dinner for two, and I'll call that a valid complaint.

The signage are all in Chinese, but ask "English Menu?" politely and they've got them.

Go at off hours (mid-afternoon instead of lunch or dinnertime) and your wait will be shorter.

Been to Tim Ho Wan (Central)? Share your experiences!