“Wouldnt want it any other way”

Tim Ho Wan (Central)
Ranked #107 of 9,325 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I usually enjoy the food whenever I visit HK, this is another level, wow :) despite waiting for about 40 minutes, its worth the wait ! The only thing cheap about all this is the price about $180 HKD for 4 people, amazing, definitely get what you pay for if not more ! Next time I visit HK I be coming back here for sure, be it with friends or family :)

1  Thank Mark t

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The only special item in this restaurant is the crispy pork bun, the other dishes like siu mai (pork dumplings) and har kao (prawn dumplings) at pretty standard. Taste wise is good but not exceptionally good. There two things which I don't like, the queue and the seating. We reached there at around 12:15pm and we waited for about 45 mins to get two seats (yes! not a table) on a long table which we seated in between strangers and random people. We also have to share the teapot with our neighbours! Although this is a good experience, but definitely not a very nice dining environment. I am definitely not going back.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Prices are cheap and food s amazing but be prepared to wait as it gets very busy but so worth the wait.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, I've eaten a lot of dim sum. 20 years ago, I loved pork buns! As an adult, I've been jaded by pork buns. A pork bun is a pork bun. BUT, after having the famous Tim Ho Wan pork buns, I learned that not all pork buns are created equal. THW pork buns are a sweet-savory item, erring on the sweet side. They resemble "pineapple" buns, but are paler in color. The bun itself consists of a barely-crisp shell and a soft, steaming center filled with moist, tender pork filling. Each order comes with 3 buns.

The wait really isn't bad at this location, it goes pretty fast. We arrived at around 11:30ish in the morning and waited, maybe 15-20 minutes, for a table for two. The rest of the dim sum is on par with what I normally get at home. Service is quick and efficient, establishment is small, but clean. Prices are reasonable for the quality of food. They also do takeout if you want to shorten your wait to about 10 minutes, which is what I'll probably do next time. I definitely plan on picking up some buns before I take off at the end of this week!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I'm a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain, and after watching The Layover episode where Tim Ho Wan was featured I decided to do a bit of research and see what all the fuss was about. I settled on this particular branch as it was the closest to where I was staying on my visit to Hong Kong.

I arrived with my family at about 10am on a Saturday morning and there was already quite a crowd waiting outside the front. I had to guess that it was Tim Ho Wan as all the signage was written in Chinese. The waiting/ordering system was a bit confusing to figure out – we finally realised that a yellow slip was for those who wanted to dine-in while the pink slip was for those who were taking away. We selected the classic dishes, like the siu mai, har gau as well as the beef balls and the infamous bbq pork buns.

We were all really disappointed with the quality of the food. The bbq pork buns were interesting, but a little on the sweet side. The beef balls were totally undercooked – unless it was supposed to be pink, raw and mushy on the inside... like steak tartare? The siu mai also tasted a bit mushy for my liking, and not particularly fresh.

I've had dim sum in New York, Toronto, San Francisco and yes, the suburbs of Perth, Western Australia and they all exceed the quality of Tim Ho Wan by far. I find it puzzling that they've been awarded one michelin star, but perhaps my taste buds are far too unrefined to understand the complexities of the judging process.

I'm sure there are much better dim sum places out there in Hong Kong, so I would suggest skipping this one.

Been to Tim Ho Wan (Central)? Share your experiences!