“Best dumplings”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Prices are cheap and food s amazing but be prepared to wait as it gets very busy but so worth the wait.

There are newer reviews for Tim Ho Wan (Central)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, I've eaten a lot of dim sum. 20 years ago, I loved pork buns! As an adult, I've been jaded by pork buns. A pork bun is a pork bun. BUT, after having the famous Tim Ho Wan pork buns, I learned that not all pork buns are created equal. THW pork buns are a sweet-savory item, erring on the sweet side. They resemble "pineapple" buns, but are paler in color. The bun itself consists of a barely-crisp shell and a soft, steaming center filled with moist, tender pork filling. Each order comes with 3 buns.

The wait really isn't bad at this location, it goes pretty fast. We arrived at around 11:30ish in the morning and waited, maybe 15-20 minutes, for a table for two. The rest of the dim sum is on par with what I normally get at home. Service is quick and efficient, establishment is small, but clean. Prices are reasonable for the quality of food. They also do takeout if you want to shorten your wait to about 10 minutes, which is what I'll probably do next time. I definitely plan on picking up some buns before I take off at the end of this week!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I'm a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain, and after watching The Layover episode where Tim Ho Wan was featured I decided to do a bit of research and see what all the fuss was about. I settled on this particular branch as it was the closest to where I was staying on my visit to Hong Kong.

I arrived with my family at about 10am on a Saturday morning and there was already quite a crowd waiting outside the front. I had to guess that it was Tim Ho Wan as all the signage was written in Chinese. The waiting/ordering system was a bit confusing to figure out – we finally realised that a yellow slip was for those who wanted to dine-in while the pink slip was for those who were taking away. We selected the classic dishes, like the siu mai, har gau as well as the beef balls and the infamous bbq pork buns.

We were all really disappointed with the quality of the food. The bbq pork buns were interesting, but a little on the sweet side. The beef balls were totally undercooked – unless it was supposed to be pink, raw and mushy on the inside... like steak tartare? The siu mai also tasted a bit mushy for my liking, and not particularly fresh.

I've had dim sum in New York, Toronto, San Francisco and yes, the suburbs of Perth, Western Australia and they all exceed the quality of Tim Ho Wan by far. I find it puzzling that they've been awarded one michelin star, but perhaps my taste buds are far too unrefined to understand the complexities of the judging process.

I'm sure there are much better dim sum places out there in Hong Kong, so I would suggest skipping this one.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This branch is rather small and there are a lot of people queuing. The highly recommended char siew bun is quite sweet so I don't really fancy. I would like to recommend the lotus leaf rice. This is the only dish I really like. It price of the food is acceptable. I won't bother to queue next time but won't mind eating here if there is no waiting time required.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wow! I love dimsum but I've never had dimsum this good until I ate at Tim Ho Wan. Ridiculously great! Pay no attention to the ambiance, and crowded restaurant, even if you have to constantly bump elbows with whoever is beside you because of the proximity of the seats to each other, the dimsum is worth all the waiting and elbowing.

Definitely not a date place, it's simply eat and go. You come for the dimsum, nothing less, nothing more.

Tim Ho Wan very much deserves their Michelin Star!