“OH MY WORD...”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have had dim sum at various places across Asia, but nothing could prepare me for how good this was. The buns were amazing. When they first said there was some sugar on it I wasn't too sure but it really complimented it. Go hungry and try to order as many options as possible so you can try everything. The wait wasn't as bad as some people say, although I was there very early. I'm sure it helps that they have moved to this bigger location. Again, service is not amazing, but it is quite difficult to provide personalized service when there are so many people waiting for a table. Highly recommended restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Actually we go to Central area looking for another food stall, after walk here and there and still cant find the restaurant. Meet a security guy there and i try to ask for the small local food that we looking for. He tell us the way, but then he also said there is a restaurant down there that selling local food with good taste, its Tim Ho Wan. Hear that name, i know that i also got it on my must visit list. So me, my brother, his gf and friend go to Tim Ho Wan. Lined up and wait about 15-20mnt, we are at the table and start to ordered some great menu. The taste is good, the staff is also friendly. I will come back to this place wheni visit Hongkong again.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

The char Siew bun did not disappoint, crispy on outside with sweet juicy char Siew fillings. But I think the amount of char Siew fillings is much less than before at mongkok.
The cheong fun was a major disappoint though. The rest that we ordered - malay cake, har gao etc were regular and average only.
The waiting time was short - about 10 min, so I don't feel upset about the whole experience as I would have if we had waited a long time.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Tim Ho Wan Restaurant at Central is located at the IFC Mall Podium 1, level 1. It is at the Hong Kong MTR station. (Note that there are 2 podiums in the IFC Mall. For bearings, the Apple Store is in Podium 2, and CitySuper and Godiva are in Podium 1). Level 1 is the lower road level.

The restaurant is rather small in size. The main clientele appears to be tourists and people going to or from the airport via the Airport Express (which has a station in the same building). You share a table with others somewhat like a school canteen; there is no private table. We shared a 12-seater rectangular table with 2 Filipinos (who left and are replaced by 2 lone Caucasians (don't know their nationality as they did not speak to each other), 2 Indonesians, 4 Singaporeans, and 2 locals. Seating is very cramped. So much for ambience. But since the restaurant has been advertised by word of mouth and also in tourist publications, people flock there, so ambience is way down the priority list.

There is no advance booking or online booking for a table, or rather part of a table. There is a small counter at the entrance and you have to book with the waitress on duty there. There is no proper queueing system and you may have to gently jostle your way to the front. This is due to the fact that people tend to crowd around the counter as the waitress shouts your reservation number when it is your turn to eat, and her voice, without amplification, cannot be heard outside a radius of 10 feet. The crowd is around 50 to 100 people chatting. You get the picture. We went on a weekday at 1130 hours, and there is a 20 minute wait. This is because the restaurant has an estimated 50 person capacity.

When you make a booking for your meal, you will be given a menu on a slip of paper with which you can make your food selection. You hand this over when you are being seated. The food is served rather quickly so you do not have to wait long. I reckon they need a fast turnover of customers.

They charge HKD 3 per person for a free flow of Chinese tea (pu-erh). This is one of the cheapest we have ever encountered. If you want mineral water or soft drinks, it is HKD 12. There is no service charge, no taxes (Hong Kong is tax free), and no tipping.

Many contributors have written at length about the food, so I will not duplicate. Suffice to say it is cheap considering it is a Michelin starred restaurant. Our bill comes up to less than HKD 200. However, our personal take is that the restaurant is not deserving of the Michelin star as there are much better dim sum elsewhere in Hong Kong, especially The Peak. Perhaps they do because of the food innovation (a few menu items cannot be found elsewhere), and because the shrimps used are very fresh and crunchy.

1  Thank AlanTham
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went here because of a recommendation. Hard to find, and the line was so long that we had to wait for almost 2 hours. There was 10 of us so it was hard to seat us. Groups of two are seated first. The staff barely speaks english so please get the menu with the picture.

Been to Tim Ho Wan (Central)? Share your experiences!