“Amazing value for a 1 Michelin star dim sum palace in the food court of IFC Mall”

Tim Ho Wan (Central)
Ranked #104 of 8,973 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Late last year I read about Tim Ho Wan in FT. I told myself I had to give it a go when I am in HK next. The branch at the IFC Mall is a heaven for shoppers like me, so a lunch stop downstairs is a convenient treat. When i found it I was shocked to see a long queue of people (more like a huddle of people, because everybody stood in front of the poor receptionist pressurising her for an early table) waiting for a table. There must be 60 diners crammed inside a canteen-like space! You have to share a table with total strangers. There isn't enough space for more than two dishes. I was impressed with the staple local Chinese dim sum - Prawn Cheung Fan (steamed rice roll), braised chicken feet in abalone sauce, prawn har gau, pork and prawn siu mai, steamed coriander and aged orange peel beef meat balls etc. The one dish I had to try in the end, against my strict diet, was the baked Char Siu Bun. The crust on top reminds me of the old 'Pineapple Bun' - sweet sugary thin crust - which sets off well against the savory barbecued pork inside. Be careful if you are dining alone: there are three big buns per serving. I packed two away for my friend. All in all, it is an amazing and refreshing experience. But if you grew up in HK, then don't waste an hour for a table. There are some dim sum palaces nearby which are almost as good. Still, if you are in HK for a few days and need to sample the most typical dim sum dishes, please go to one of Tim Ho Wan branches. Perhaps if you go there before noon you have a better chance of getting in. Beware, don't wear warm clothes even in winter. The place is hot! And don't bring your shopping with you, there ain't no space even for your Birkin bag.

There are newer reviews for Tim Ho Wan (Central)

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Mong Kok store is closed. I know because I went there. Twice.

Decided on the one at Central MTR, was not terribly impressed. Caters well to tourists but didn't feel authentic, and I could have gotten something a lot more filling for the same price. You order from a paper menu you check off. I wished they had steamed (not baked) BBQ pork, but it was pretty tasty. At least I get to say I went there, but I doubt I'll be back.

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This probably the best you can get out of a value for money Tim sum place... It's great food at a good value and no frills. Char Siew bao, carrot cake, lotus rice etc are all top class made.

The address abv is not exactly right though. It's actually at hong kong mtr at level 1 abv the train stop towards the airport. It's connected to IFC mall though so if you are at IFC, just ask info counter to direct you.

The one at kwong wah street has also just relocated. So do note.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Not in the best of areas as it is tucked in an MTR stop but the food is great and service is quick. Servers may get surly at times and the queues get really long.

Still, it is worth a drop by.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

What more do I need to say about this tiny place? For this family trip to Hong Kong, we went in different times, late morning, mid-afternoon, and dinner. It was always packed. For the price and the quality, we did not mind sitting with strangers at all. Even our 6-year-old did not mind taking all the subways and long walks to get our appitite fulfilled. The honey BBQ buns are a must try, for the unique pineapple crust, which is a fusion with the traditional bakery.

1  Thank jlin7