“Open Kitchen”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This most enjoyable restaurant is now renamed Open Kitchen and I am happy to say that is the only thing that has changed. It still has the great views over the harbour the construction work notwithstanding.
The food and ambience are still of the highest quality and it is a great location in IFC in the centre of Hong Kong.

We went for luck which is a very busy time we secured a table luckily without a reservation though I would not recommend this if you are in a hurry.
The restaurant is split into the sort of formal dining area and a more al fresco area where you can sit and eat the takeaway type food available at the counter.

We ordered the burger which unbeknown to us came with the soup of the day which turned out to be a superb creamy mushroom one of my favourites and a very pleasant surprise especially with the crunchy french bread and butter that came with it.

The Burger was big enough with great french fries and lots of greenery it was extremely tasty and I would suggest medium rare is about right. All washed down with a glass of Stella Artois beer and we were two very satisfied customers.
Strongly recommend I don't know why the name was changed but I am sure there is a good reason.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I made a point to taking my parents (first trip to HK) to this restaurant for lunch. It was fantastic. The coffee is good, the pastries are fantastic. Recommend the strawberry or blueberry danish. They would compete even with a Paris café. I ordered salads and sandwiches as a late afternoon tea, and the comment from my mother "I have not had a sandwich that good in years", which to be honest is why I always visit with my wife when coming through Hong Kong. Naturally it can be hard to get a seat, this is IFC2 and in the business district. A tip for tourists: outside there is a side door, if you have your passport you can go up to the 55th floor for viewing over the city, it is free! That can be a good idea if the line is long and you want to come back in half and hour. Hope my review helps you! Rick.

1  Thank RickShawBlogger
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This chain serves sets from HKG$55 which includes a choice of homemade ice tea or coffee, with burgers, paninis and other sandwiches that are presented on a small wooden board. For an additional $15, you can add a cake slice etc. The food is not bad, but the service generally lacks warmth.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Ate here while staying at the Conrad hotel at Pacific Place. Delicious, simple food, great atmosphere, friendly service. Possibly the best caprese salad I've ever had. A welcome respite from overdone and overpriced hotel cuisine. I'll definitely be back when I'm next in Hong Kong.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

There are several Simply Life restaurants around town, I usually go to the one in Admiralty. It is a fine place, but I think their menu could benefit from some more variety. In terms of price, it is ok - $125 for the lunch set, which includes a soup/salad, main dish, tea and service. The restaurant however could benefit from paying more attention to details:

1. it is not OK for them them to take ages to bring the drinks. Usually the drinks come only after the food arrives.

2. The bread that they serve with the soup or salad is always dry and hard. Maybe they use the left over bread that the bakery couldn't sell.... come on, guys, you are a bakery! your bread is supposed to be good.

3. I usually don't take pics of restaurant, but I just found it unbelievable - as the waiters cleaned the tables, they were just throwing the dirty napkins on the floor, next to the tables where other clients were still eating!! Staff need urgent training!!!

Overall it is still a good value for money.