“Not the best, not the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pandora After 80s

Ranked #30 of 160 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
New York City, New York
“Not the best, not the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had read the reviews before I stayed here so I had somewhat of an idea of what to expect. When searching for a hostel in Hong Kong, nothing really stood out to me, but this place seemed to be the best place to meet other travelers. It did seem pretty good for that. I actually ended up meeting someone who lived like 5 blocks from me in NYC. However, the whole building situation and staff were kind of a turnoff once you actually arrive there. It's different reading about it and then actually being in it. The common area where you check in on the 9th floor is nice, with a decent view...the balcony is tiny and right outside the door of the best/most expensive private room available. I had booked a single private room/shared bath for two nights, but my room got double booked. I've worked in the industry before. I understand this happens, but I also understand some compensation should be given when this does happen. All they had available for me was a bed in the 10-bed dorm the first night and then my original booked private room the second night. The receptionist (Vicky, I believe) when I arrived was extremely nice and accommodating trying to figure out what happened. She had called her boss to figure it out, because apparently he had changed it and not left any notes about the situation. The worst part about this was that I was originally still being asked to pay my original balance when I was being put in a cheaper room the first night. We got that straightened out without too much trouble though...good thing I was on top of it...and it actually ended up being a blessing. There were only 3 of us in the 10 bed-dorm and the accommodation on the 11th floor was better than the 9th floor in my opinion. Better shower, bigger rooms. Better, bigger balcony, but not nearly as good of a view. The second night I had the private room on the 9th floor. Pretty tiny and the shower was too...but I didn't spend too much time there so it served it's purpose. All in all, very average. The rest of the staff didn't seem like they were into hosting guests much, which was the major turnoff for me. Another guest and I were trying to ask about getting to a tourist attraction, and were pretty much ignored by the staff just staring at their laptops. It's a pretty underground operation. Every time you see another tenant in the building, you just feel like you shouldn't be there and they look at you like that. It's not horrible, you will get to meet some other travelers here, I just wish there was a better hostel type place in Hong Kong...and there just might be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank peterTnomad
Pandora A, Manager at Pandora After 80s, responded to this review, August 8, 2013

Thank you for choosing Pandora After 80s for your recent stay in Hong Kong.

To make our guest feel at home and enjoy their stay like staying in hotel we do have new fully renovated private room with private bathroom for guest option to choose. We are proud to tell everyone that we have improved our common area, open up our kitchen for guest use, we improved our cleanliness and customer services.

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Pandora After 80s the next time you're in Hong Kong, and we hope to see you again soon.

Pandora After 80s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The owner is fantastic. The cleaner is the sweetest thing on the planet and I made friends for life staying here! I don't know what everyone is whinging about with cleaniness because our 10 bed dorm was moped, swept, bathrooms cleaned and our beds made for us everyday!!! The views were unbelieve, the location invaluable and overall a fantastic hostel!!! I think people forget that they are staying in a hostel and not a hotel. For the price this stay was just awesome!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Pandora A, Manager at Pandora After 80s, responded to this review, August 14, 2013

Thank you for choosing Pandora After 80s for your recent stay in Hong Kong.

To make our guest feel at home and enjoy their stay like staying in hotel we do have new fully renovated private room with private bathroom for guest option to choose plus more rooms with great Harbour View. We are proud to tell everyone that we have improved our common area, open up our kitchen for guest use, we improved our cleanliness and customer services.

Malmo, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

First off, this is a good hostel, definitely. But of course it has it's kinks. Me and my fiancee stayed here for a week in January 2013. We booked the private suite.

The room was of ok size for HK. Nice furniture and interior design. The bed was quite comfy and from it we had a great panoramic view of Victoria Harbour. We also had direct access to a balcony overlooking the same. There is a fridge in the common area where you can store stuff if you feel like it. The staff is also quite friendly.

First off we had enormous trouble locating the place. If you don't go out of the exact MTR exit described in your reservation email, you will run into trouble looking for the hostel. After we found it we ran into more trouble both getting into the building and finding the floor. Only in one small note in the same email did it say that we should go to floor 11. Getting there was also a little annoying as the elevators only serve half the building, get in the wrong one and it won't get you to your floor. When we got to the 11th floor, we were told to go to floor 9 instead. Again with the elevators.

Once checked in we enjoyed ourselves for some time before the next problems occurred. The balcony is for everyone, including smokers. This means that when people smoke outside, it stinks up this room very much even though everything was closed. The rules of the hostel are to keep the volume down in the common area after 11 pm so the guests in the rooms can relax. No one follows this rule and it's very noicy even after 1 am making it quite hard to sleep.

Last, but not least. Our sink in the bathroom was leaking heavily. What the hostel staff did to solve this was to wrap a towel around it. This does not help, seriously. We ended up having to dry up all the water ourselves, every day. It sucked.

I loved Hong Kong, but I don't think I'll stay here again.

5 Thank drinside
Pandora A, Manager at Pandora After 80s, responded to this review, August 13, 2013

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at Pandora after 80s last November 22-25. It was easy to find. We just followed the instructions at the mail. The inn was located near Causeway Bay Station of the MTR, a good 2-5 minutes walk from exit D1. There is a good cafe that serves English breakfast near the entrance of the hostel. When we arrived, we went straight to 11th floor and used the phone near the door to call the owner. We were then redirected to 9th floor, where our room was located. We were welcomed by Ron, a very friendly guy who owned the place. The whole hostel was a bit small but the common lounge was nice, had good fixtures, and a very great view of Kowloon. We were given keys to the place and our lockers. We then ventured out and explored Hong Kong. We arrived back at the inn around midnight. A few guests were at the lounge, doing sorts of stuff. Our room was a 6-mixed dorm room. It was very tight, very red and a bit humid (the air conditioning unit was not cool enough). We had our individual beds, with own sockets and reading light. The next night was cooler because we opened the windows which let in the cool air from outside.
The bathroom of the hotel was a shared bathroom, very very very small bathroom with no separation of toilet and shower. But it was okay because it had hot water and liquid soap and shampoo. We just had to wait for others to finish because there was only one bathroom (aside from the private bath of the private room). I wish there was a separate toilet which you can use.
The refrigerator was free to use. We stocked our drinks there and some food. One can also have free coffee or tea. Internet wifi was free and it was fast too. There was also a computer for public use. Problem is that it automatically shifts to chinese. haha. We were also able to borrow umbrellas from Ron, which were very handy because it was raining most days we stayed at HK.
Overall our stay was very good. A few complaints but were tolerable. Better than most hostels in Hong Kong, if not the best for money value. Definitely considering staying here again when I go back to Hong Kong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hostel is probably the best value for money if you are looking for a prime location and without spending a fortune. It is located in Causeway bay at 2 minutes walking from the tube. It is inside a condominium and consist in 2 floor. At first floor there is a small lounge for tea and breakfast where the double rooms are (3 in total) and it is very quite and probably the best option for couple who need a little of comfort after have been walking all the day in HK. The best room is the one looking towards the sea. At the second floor there are 2 dormitory rooms with shared bathrooms used mainly by budget travelers (avoid this option if you are looking for a quite place since).

Room Tip: the dormitory are overcrowded so and you need to pass through the balcony to reach the toilets.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DiveDream

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

it may have been because i was in the 10 bed dorm but this was just aweful, the place was a mess, there is no atmosphere, it is quite warm night and the light from the balcony just shines into the room, the showers are never cleaned (at least properly) there has been someone's soaking underwear since i got here, also there is a bunch of toiletries half used just left in the showers blatantly from guests long left.

and there are no towel rails for your towels so i hung mine up over the side of my bed and then one day the maid just takes it!! they said this was because i was in the wrong bed but someone was already sleeping in the bed i was allocated, they said this was an on going issue that they needed to sort out, but every other hostel i have ever stayed in with a policy of allocating beds never seem to have this issue.

the hall outside the dorm is a absolue mess it is full of building/painting decorating equeptment and a couple of bins with rubbish and plaster in it that has just been left there with no sign of any intention of ever using it again. and there is a broken washing machine on the balcony, even though this place doesn't have any laundry facility's for guests.

the other rooms look good but whatever you do just don't bother with the 10 bed dorm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alexander G
Pandora A, Manager at Pandora After 80s, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Mr Alexander,

Thank you for your staying with us and your comments to our hostel, we felt sorry about your bad experience in our hostel.

To make our guest happy and satisfies during their stays we made a lots of changes and improvement like facilities, cleanliness and services.

To make our guest comfort and feel at home we now have more private rooms with private bathroom for guest option.

Thank you for your comments and support, we hope to see you again soon!

Best Wishes
Hotel Pandora After 80s
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I love traveling and i do it quite often. For my summer trip, this time around, i chose Hong Kong as my base city to see Asia. Having a nice place to stay is key for me. You want to go back to a nice hostel/hotel after walking around all day. Pandora's after 80s exceed my expectations. I stayed there for a total of almost 1 month and a half.... and it could not been better! The hostel is located in the heart of the city. The staff are super friendly the atmosphere is incredible. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Pandora A, Manager at Pandora After 80s, responded to this review, August 18, 2013