“Excellent apartment choice in Wanchai”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hong Kong
Y Serviced Apartment (Wan Chai)
Ranked #408 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Kobe, Japan
“Excellent apartment choice in Wanchai”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a clean apartment with all the amenities, this is the right place. All the apartments are studios however it is clean and relatively well priced. I believe I paid 150 usd per night for a room between 35-40 sqm. You don't get much of a view when staying here but you are on Wanchai's doorstep meaning nightlife, dining and entertainment are just a stone's throw from the apartment.
Housekeeping is done Mon-Sat. The furnishings are well appointed too. There are in fact two flat screen televisions(why... I am not sure for an apartment of this size). There are no bathtubs to my knowledge but the shower is very good as well as the shower pressure which is one of the key reasons I stay here. I have been to various hotels in the area where the shower pressure is so weak.

The building isn't much too look at. It is sandwiched in between various boutique stores and art vendors but then again you get a sense of what it is like to live in the Wanchai area. The apartment is situated on top of a creperie which is renowned in the area.
The staff are usually friendly and welcoming.
Should you be looking to substitute a hotel room for a more apartment type accomodation, then this might be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Travel_Critic999

Couples
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2012

These are serviced apartments and not hotel bedrooms. They are spacey for HK standards, include a kitchenette, and have a patio (although some litter was hanging there). I have only stayed for a night so these impressions can be incomplete.

Positive aspects:
- location - in the wan chai area, with tram and subway at walking distance (< 5 minutes)
- comfort - large area, large bed

Negative aspects
- Bathroom wall/door are in plain glass, should be smoked glass for privacy
- The two TV sets shared the same remote/frequency so I could not control just one tv - the other would eventually turn on after a while (truth be told I did not spend too much time sorting this out)
- The check in was very smooth and the manager very helpful

As a nice to have, european power adapters could have been available in the room. As the management was not in the office when I needed it, I had to go out and search for one.

Overall a very good place to stay, I would consider future stays in this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jpalcg
Toronto
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My family of three stayed in a "luxury one-bed-room apartment" for 4 nights at Shalom Apartments (Wanchai) this December. Because we have a young child (a little over a year), I chose to stay in a place with a full kitchen so we can prepare food for the child, and the larger space offered by an apartment (as opposed to a hotel room) also allows the child to run around a bit in case the weather is not suitable for an outing. This place definitely meets both requirements.

But first, let me say that we were probably among the first guests of this establishment. (I believe parts of the building were still being renovated when we were there, though no disturbance whatsoever was felt.) Because it was so new, some facilities were still not ready. For example, I saw an excise room full of equipment, but it didn't look like it was open to the guests. So, my review will be limited to the facilities and services we had access to at the time, which may change when the place is completed.

Location:
=======
It is very conveniently situated: there are many restaurants and shops right on the street below. A supermarket is a few blocks away. Wancai subway station is about 7-minute walk away. Two shopping malls are within easy walking distance, and more shopping can be done in the area of Causeway Bay, which is reachable by tram in a few stops. Hong Kong park and the tram to "the peak" are also within walking distance. [Having said that, Hong Kong island is so small that, living almost anywhere on the island would offer the same convenience.

Service and facilities:
================
I was very satisfied with their service. I asked them (by calling and by email) to place a crib in the room, and a nice new (or almost new) complete with skirt and beddings was waiting for us in the room. Unlike a hotel, there's no front desk, but there is one number you can call if you need anything. We asked for two additional power adaptors, ironing board and iron, and other stuff, and the maid came within a few minutes. She was very attentive, though her English could be a bit better. There is a restaurant (a French on at that) located inside the building, on the first floor, but we didn't use it during our stay. I don't believe you could call room service though. The elevator was a bit small, like many other things in HK, but it was adequate for our needs. The only small problem we had was with check-in. We arrived late (which we indicated ahead of time by email), but there was no instruction on how to get into the building after hours. We called the superintendent, who eventually answered after a few minutes (it could have been within a minute, but it felt like a long time for the phone to be ringing) of anxious wait.

The Apartment:
============
Space-wise it is considered big by HK standards. It even had a deck/patio which was quite large, but it was surrounded by buildings quite closeby, so there is no view. Still, it is not facing the street, so you would have privacy. The only problem was that it didn't have any patio furniture. The apartment had a separate bedroom (albeit small) and a living-dining-kitchen area. The partition between the two spaces was a floor-to-ceiling glass wall, with a sliding glass door, so there was no "optical" separation between the two spaces. While this might may the space look large, it might also create a problem with couple who have different sleeping schedules, or couple with kids.

The decor and furniture are both quite nice -- a bit like IKEA style. There are lots of closet space and shelf space, though there isn't a shelf large enough for our suitcases (which were only carry-on size).

There were two large TVs in the apartment, one in the bedroom and one in the living area, both are flat-sceen LCD TVs, and USB connections were provided in case you want to view your own movies from USB storage devices (which we did).

Sound insulation: it was surprisingly good. Though we were just above a busy street (Queen's Road East), the noise from the street was very much subdued, and there was very little traffic noise at night.

The problem we really had was with the switches on the walls, and there were many! None of them was labeled, so you had to try them out to find out their functions. Some of them were master switches, that turned off everything, including hot water heaters. As far as I could tell, there are 3 separate hot water heaters, one for the shower, one for the faucet in the bathroom, and another for the kitchen. Each came with separate switches, and you really need to turn them on before you can have hot water. The first morning, I was in the shower for several minutes trying out all sorts of combinations of the faucet setting but still got only cold water until finally I decided to investigate what was going on. The switch turned out to be on the wall outside the bathroom and was not labeled!

Bathroom -- The biggest shortcoming of this apartment, I feel, had something to do with the bathroom. It was quite small, but the size by itself was not really a problem. It had a shower but no tub, again, this wasn't really a problem for us either. The problem was with the glass door and wall of the bathroom, which means you really don't have much privacy taking a shower, or even using the toilet! Though the toilet was located in a niche area, it was still visible from a person sitting on the edge of the bed in the bedroom. So for families with bigger children, this could really be a problem, unless one chased everyone out of the bedroom. The location of the bathroom is also a problem -- it is only accessible from the bedroom, so it creates a lot of disturbance for people resting in the bedroom. My husband got a stomach flu during our stay there, and I woke up everytime he used the bathroom throughout the night. Everything else with the bathroom is quite fine.

Kitchen -- There is a kitchennette, with a 2-burner induction cooktop, an under-the-counter fridge, and a microwave oven. They also provided basic utensils, a knife set (also with a pair of sissors), bows and plates, a large pot, and a large flat pan. Both the pot and the pan are stainless steel suitable for use with the induction cooktop, of course. There's also an electric kettle. So it is quite adequate for short stays, or if you don't do a lot of cooking. There isn't much counter space, but there is a dining table which could serve if additional counter space is required. We wish they could provide more cups, glasses etc., and a tea pot, though. Also, only two chairs were provided for eating at the table. One more would be nice.

Wireless Internet was free.

Things that can be easily improved:
==========================
- Provide more cups, plates, utensils, a tea pot, dishwashing detergent, sponge, etc.
- Provide one more chair and patio furniture
- Provide more information for the guests -- such as an information booklet that include information such as how to connect to the Internet, what was the code for the entrance gate, how to reach the maid, how the switches work in the room, how the hot water work in the room, as well as information about the surrounding areas and public transportation. In other words, provide information for the apartment and the building, as well as tourist information. That would be of great help.
- Label switches on the walls
- Install curtains between bedroom and the rest to provide a visual separation as well as some privacy if needed.
- Install curtains or blinds at the partition between the bathroom and the bedroom to provide more privacy.
- Create room under the bed for suitcase storage.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family