“Location is perfect but the room is very small”

Australian Guesthouse
Ranked #77 of 263 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed there only 1 nite. The guesthouse is located in a mansion where you will find this area is like Little India in Singapore but I think the place is safe, even for a female solo traveller like me. The receptionists were Indian men who were helpful and friendly. The room is very small but due to I spend a lot in outside of the guesthouse so it doesnt matter for me. The mansion is located in Kowloon area where many shopping centers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DIAN A
There are newer reviews for Australian Guesthouse

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My fiancee and I booked to stay here in September '13 after travelling from Beijing to Hong Kong. It is deceptive and a scam. There are many hostels under different names in this building (with a 10 minute queue for the elevators) but it appears they are all under the same management. On arrival we were told they 'lost' our booking, the old man there had forgotten the password to check bookings, they hadn't received our booking (various different stories as though they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a plausable excuse). They said they'd e-mailed us the night before saying they were full (we booked the hostel a week in advance) however no such e-mail was received. They told us their 'friend' or 'bother' also had hostels downstairs and would do us a good deal (3 times the amount we were originally supposed to pay). According to many reviews, this is what they do (especially on a Saturday when many places are booked up) get you to pay more in another 'hostel' in the building and then sell your original room on for trebble the price aswell to some other backpackers. When we refused because we didn't want to give these scamming people any of our money they then harrassed us and would not let us leave! It took a long time to get out resulting with them shouting at us in a foreign language and spitting at our feet! After staying in hostels all over Asia, this is the worst I 'service' I have ever seen. Highly reccommend staying away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GlobalBackpackerLife
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Well i read so many bad reviews about this place . I myself booked it but read the reviews later that were so depressing as i was travelling with my 2 kids and hubby. And my hubby was annoyed that i booked it before reading about it. So i was really scared and praying in the flight to hong kong that please God make our trip a good memory.
I carried my towels, bedsheets and pillow covers as i read that those people don't care to change. But to my pleasant surprise ....when we reached it was definitely a small room but neat and tidy with pleasant people .
Had a good stay and it is a central place and being an Indian we could get indian food so easily all over the Chunking Mansion.
I felt good to be there. Even my husband was happy. It is a good economical place as we just wanted to stay at night and freak out the whole day to various sight seeing places in hong kong.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank drmeenaxi
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room and bathroom are so small that it's difficult to move when you're showering, the bedsheet is kind of disgusting and worn out plus the housekeeper never change the bedsheet during my stay there. The doormat is so dirty i don't want to step on that. And the glass they set aside for you to drink are also dirty. During my stay, i saw someone sleeping on the couch in front of my room, which has to be the facility for the "legal" guests to chill, it makes me uncomfortable.

If you're a muslim, you can find halal food at the ground floor

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2013

When you book online a guesthouse at chungking mansion in many websites, there's a lot a choices, but when you get there, you realize some guesthouse they all actually have one management, so when we had arrive at chungking mansion, we do as the hotel say, to straight to they address at 16 floor, but then, the management send us to some rooms in 8 floor and 14 floor, its narli guesthouse, european guesthouse and tokyo guesthouse. Yes, there all the same! run by some indian people. The room its standard, small, with ac, tv, private bathroom and toiletries including towel. Outside the room there's a microvawe and kettle to made coffee/tea and heat our food. But you can't ask no more, the management was very late response and even don't response at all! to get to the up floor you need to take a lift, and its very small lift, so sometime you need to queue, don't ever use a stairs, its a horor scene...so just take a room just for a bath and sleep, and go for sightseeing for allmost the time, chungking mansion it self very strategic location, near the tsim tsa tsui subway station and avenue of star (5 minutes walk) when you can see a harmony of lights every 8 pm cross the harbour. the airport bus also just a step away. So very happy with the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2013

There are number of guest houses run by a same reception located at 16th floor. But you have step down for your room. The room and the bath room are clean and there are facilities for making your tea/coffee just out side the room. Security is ok since no one can enter your room premises. because only the guest staying at the rooms have access key of the main door.

Room is very very tiny. This was the smallest room which I ever have being. I took twin room. This room is manageable only for sleep. You don't have enough space to keep your lagged if it is a big. But room has TV, Safety box. but no table and chair since does not have enough space.

The location is very convenient. It is easily access by the Airport bus (City- Bus A21 route). It is the easiest and cheap way to come to this place. There are plenty of shopping and entertainment places around.

The man who was in the reception was not helpful and friendly person. He didn't care about the guests. He enjoyed with his phone calls and personal matters.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank shirajmorugama
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Getting into the guesthouse is a bad start ,people are constantly pestering us and trying to sell you stuff throughout Chungking mansion.The room had really bad smell coming from the toilet and staff were really rude! nothing good I can say here, stay away!

Room Tip: smelly uncomfy room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple