“Good quality food, service ok but not great”
Review of Ana Gura

Ana Gura
Ranked #4,442 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Central
Neighborhood: Central
Bucks, UK
“Good quality food, service ok but not great”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had a day to kill on my last day in HK and decided to eat here on my own for lunch. I love the fact that in HK you can climb some grubby stairs to get to a reasonable restaurant like this! As I climbed the stairs I didn't expect much, but I was actually pleasantly surprised.

They sat me at the bar as I was on my own which was actually quite nice as I could watch the sushi chefs at work. The waiter gave me a menu to look at which was a set course type menu, where you had a main, miso, rice and a desert bundled into one, not really what I wanted. I was taking far too long deciding so he then gave me another menu with individual dishes on it. Perfect, why he didn’t give me that in the first place I don’t know.

I ordered rice, tempura prawns, sashimi tuna, sashimi salmon and teriyaki beef. It came as it came and it was all excellent quality food, washed down with tap water. They did not rush me out of the restaurant at all, which was nice but I did have to grab the waiter every time I wanted a top up of water and when it came to getting the bill.

The bill was just over HK$500 which was a little rich for 1 person and no drinks but it was good quality food so I didn’t mind too much.

I would go back for sure.

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
“Good Japanese food, pricy!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Good food selections, above average services, nice decorations but definitely not cheap! It is a non truly Japanese style restaurant as it doesn't focus on one or two kind of food but a mix bag of almost everything. Hence quality varies, most food we ordered tasted fine except the rice in the sushi are too soft, not enough vinegar and cold! Good restaurant but not sure it worthy the money as is expensive, 2 of us for dinner including house sake for HK$2,000!

• Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“Now I’m convinced that it’s the best tempura house in HK”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

On the way to Bali my family and I made a week long foodie stop in Hong Kong, I know, crazy, but I can’t help it, as HK rocks for great food experiences! When in Hong Kong, though, there’s only one place to go for ‘off the hook’ tempura, and that’s Ana Gura. I’ve been here for dinner during my last foodie stop here, and it was fabulous, so the idea was to try the lunch menu, and I can report that it was very, very good. We had basically an assortment of pieces, as we let the chef surprise us…and he delivered. I won’t go into specific detail about each thing we had, but I can tell you that everything was artfully prepared and presented, and was backed up with excellent taste. As a true native New Yorker, from the Upper West Side of Manhattan, I don’t impress easily, but we’ve been here twice, and both times were simply amazing. There is a different feel between lunch and dinnertime…with lunch being much more laid back and relaxed, and dinner time being more elegant and upscale (great place to take a lady, guys). Another reviewer stated that they weren’t too flexible there. I would have to disagree, as during both my visits there I asked for things departing from the menu/set routines, and if you’re polite and respectful, they’ll pretty much do what you ask them…at least based on my experience thus far. When passing though HK in the future, will I stop here again? Oh yes; most certainly. They have a premium tuna set that looks crazy delicious that I want to try!
In closing, if you’re looking for a cool, hip place for great tempura, then I sincerely think you would do very well to check out Ana Gura!
I hope that this helps you

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank mapglobal2
Hong Kong
“"Can not" attitude was disappointing”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have visited this place a number of times, and on the whole, have liked it. The lunch sets in particular are good value (for a relatively expensive restaurant) and there is a full (and massive) lunch set for vegetarians too, which I have tried once, and I was impressed.

That said, my last visit resulted in a stroppy customer refusing to pay service - and all because changing the non-vegetarian mousse dessert for a vegeterian dessert was "not possible". This was very disappointing given the other times I have been there, the above-mentioned substitution wasn't a problem.

So, if you are happy to eat what you are given, I would recommend it! The food is actually of a good standard, it's a place you can go for a quick and delicious bite, but sadly this left a sour taste in my mouth ...

• Visited March 2012
New York City, New York
“A top-notch tempura house!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I was on my way to the Philippines and whenever I’m flying to Asia from NYC I almost always make a food stop in HK as the options are just that good. I can report that if you want a great Japanese tempura place in HK, then Ana Gura is your place! Located in Lan Kwai Fong, I can say that the food is absolutely oishii (delicious), the atmosphere great (perfect for a romantic date) and the service is first rate.

They do have sushi, of course, but it is very expensive and maybe not the best place or value for that. For regular sushi I would hit my fav HK sushi place, Itamae instead, (see that review), but Ana Gura is a tempura house and in that respect it rocks and is one of the best for tempura in HK. We had the mixed tempura set, although one of the sets on offer was a tuna set which looked really delicious and will be the pick next time.
Overall, this is a really nice, upscale place that warrants a try when in HK.

Hope you can go and enjoy and that this review was helpful.

• Visited November 2011