Little Adventures in Hong Kong Food and Walking Tours - Day Tour
and up
Expert-Led Hong Kong Food and Culture Walk: Sunday Morning in Wan Chai
Ranked #7 of 52 Food & Drink in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: Go beyond tours. Come with us on a private, personal walking and food experience that gets you inside Hong Kong. Walks by professionals, not tour guides. Just three guests, maximum. There's no other company like us in Hong Kong, and we're proud to be recognized by the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Time Out, the Luxe Guide and the Chicago Tribune. If your time in Hong Kong is short, why waste a minute on a cookie-cutter group tour? Get personal, and learn about Hong Kong and what makes it tick from award winning professionals, food and travel journalists. We work with you to design a Hong Kong experience that's perfect for you. If you like culture and history, then it's back streets, hidden temples, old Chinese neighborhoods--even a haunted house! If you love Chinese food, then get ready to indulge, because that's our specialty. Hong Kong has tens of thousands of restaurants and noodle shops, but we've located all the best and we're sharing our secrets with you! (We speak and read Cantonese, so no worries about Chinese-only menus.). Whatever your profession or interest, we can craft a program that will give you the useful information and local intelligence you need to feel at home in Asia's most cosmopolitan city. Our director and your host, Daisann McLane, has unparalleled experience in finding and getting to the heart of the world's great places. She's an award winning travel journalist with National Geographic Traveler, and before that spent six years roaming the world as the New York Times' "Frugal Traveler" columnist. She fell in love with Hong Kong: she wants you to fall in love with this great city, too.
Clarence, New York
“Hong Kong experience”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had a fabulous walking tour of the dried fish markets herb markets and several temples that we would have never seen if not for our expert guide! The dim sum lunch was superb. Our afternoon tour of outdoor markets and a town of true unspoiled Hong Kong was also enlightening!
Would highly recommend one or both of these excursions.

• Indonesian first
Belgrade, Serbia
“Highlight of my stay in Hong Kong”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

It was my first time in Hong Kong and far East and I was there for a business conference. Because I had only 4 days I wanted to get some help in exploring the food of Hong Kong,as I take a keen interest in it. It turned out to be much more than that because Daisann turned out to be not only en expert on food but also great source of information in many other topics, especialy the history of the region. So, I did not get oriented only about the food of the region, but a I also got to feel the city's atmosphere overall and how people in Hong Kong live, all thanks to Daisann's detailed and warmhearted presentation. I am very happy i did it and that a walking food tour turned out to be a real "little adventure". Well worth the money!

Visited April 2013

Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent insights into HK food and culture”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We took a 4.5 hour food-centric “Central and Sheung Wan” walk with a guided dim sum lunch and it was the best city tour we have ever taken. Daisann was an outstanding host with extensive knowledge about Hong Kong food, traditional medicine and culture. The walk provided a wealth of information about the ingredients and philosophy of the local cuisine and medicines and the lunch, besides being extremely tasty, gave us the knowledge and confidence to eat at other local restaurants that otherwise we would not have been able to find or navigate. It was a wonderful introduction to Hong Kong which we would unreservedly recommend to others.

Visited June 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Fantastic overview of Hong Kong food scene”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am a US-based food writer and, having never been to Hong Kong, wanted a full tutorial on the local food scene. Daisann set up a terrifically informative tour that included several stops along the way for dim sum, roasted meats, healing teas and more. We went to places I never would have ventured on my own. She gave me background on all the foods I was eating, guided me through the dried seafood market and Chinese herbal tonic stalls, and was truly a wealth of information. I did specify that I wanted to cover culinary topics ONLY; if that is your goal, be sure to convey that message.

San Francisco, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Storm be damned! Janis came through, and it was terrific.”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was a little worried about the weather, but I'm glad our guide didn't cancel. We were only in Hong Kong for 3 days and wanted something that wasn't guide-book reliant. We did have to postpone until 2 p.m. but we were being constantly notified through text the day prior. I really appreciate that kind of professionalism rather than a last minute "Oh well, we're really sorry". Janis took us to places both popular and local. I can't tell you how invaluable it is to have someone show you around (anywhere) that speaks the language, is truly knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the food. It was 4 well spent hours, and it was only around the Central neighborhood because of the weather. It made me wonder where else we could've gone on a sunny day. We visited 6 different places and had quick bites/light meals. Do not have breakfast. Come hungry, take photos and business cards. Ask for a copy of the menu if you can. Not everyplace was outstanding, but the place (I wish I could remember the names) that served the Ha Zi Low Meen (sorry about the spelling), the milk tea/french toast place, and goose restaurant more than made up for it. 4 out of the 6 places were certainly not in our guide books, I don't even think they would show up on Trip Advisor. Big thanks to Janis. Her knowledge of cuisine was super impressive: Ingredients, dishes, regions and cultural tidbits. She was patient with our endless questions too.

It's definitely an expensive tour. I noticed the prior reviews didn't mention what their fees were, so it's best to just get in touch with the proprietor. But if you're a food enthusiast, and want to try some down home, everyday regular fare and not just another tablecloth establishment-which by the way, they sent us recommendations for those too, how awesome is that?-and are terribly short on time, do book the tour. It was quite special. Thanks again Janis.

1 Thank moodbeast

Travelers who viewed Little Adventures in Hong Kong Food and Walking Tours - Day Tour also viewed

Been to Little Adventures in Hong Kong Food and Walking Tours - Day Tour? Share your experiences!