“Great fun!”

Home's cooking school & wet market tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visiting the unique open Wet Market, joining a fun home's style Cooking Class and getting your best experience to living & culture in Hong Kong. 3-hour per session. Available every weekday morning.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My Mum and I had a lovely morning with Joyce, visiting the wet market and then returning to her lovely home to make delicious treats from our purchases! The spring rolls were so easy to make and tasted wonderful and the giant prawns with spring onions and soy sauce were succulent and tasty! As the salted eggs were a little too 'unusual' for us (particularly the smell for me being 6 months pregnant!) Joyce was really kind and changed the menu for us at the last minute, thank you! The whole experience has inspired us to cook the dishes after we returned home, and we visited a supermarket in HK before we left to buy all the necessary ingredients that may not be so readily available in the UK. We're looking forward to recreating the dishes for our family and friends soon. Thank you for a great experience, we had great fun! Hannah and Helen, UK

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Tour of wet market and then cooking in home in dormitory suburb. Cooking level for beginners, although some good techniques even for experienced cooks. Very pleasant tutor. Could have provided written recipes. Worthwhile morning.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wanted to learn a few things from this course... How to shop better at a wet market, how to cook some home style Hong Kong food and some understanding of the new ingredients. This wonderful course by Joyce ticks all the boxes. Preparation for the course was easy (I emailed to request and received a prompt answer ) ... It was a pay on the day arrangement.

Joyce is an excellent hostess, and gave me a tour of the Shau Kei Wan market where we chose all the items to cook later in the day. The market is very busy and overwhelming but despite all the chaos I felt so looked after with all my questions answered.

A short ride to Joyce's home and a cooling drink later and we were ready to prepare the ingredients and cook. I learnt how to prepare three dishes and having been taught so well feel completely comfortable that I can prepare these again :) I also loved hearing about when the dishes made would traditionally eaten, it helps to have someone so warm and fun giving the 'back story' to set the food in some context. Joyce also helped my knife skills to evolve so I now run less risk of chopping myself !

All in all a very personal and fun morning which I will always remember.

Joyce you are a class act thank you so much. I can't wait to try out cooking this delicious food again :)

1  Thank chickndude
Reviewed August 16, 2012

It was great experience for me and my daughter. So interesting to shop around in the market. I enjoyed talking with Joice. Being able to have such an experience really broadend my views of Hong Kong. I will searve my family and my friends delicious dish I learned from you. Thank you for the wondeful tour !

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Joy was a fabulous host for our morning at the wet market and cooking class. I attended this class with two friends and my mum. We were able to choose what we wanted to cook before our guided tour through the wet market where we gathered the ingredients and learnt alot about (and tasted) the produce that we were unfamiliar with at these wet markets.
We were then taken to Joys own home and made delicious dumplings which I am excited to be able to now cook at home for my friends when they visit me in HK.
Thanks for a great morning Joy!