“Overrated”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Service was appalling. Constantly hovering around our table as they had nothing to do. Food was unimpressive. Had the lobster hotpot and the lobster was overcooked and this was still the best dish we had. Would not go back.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Japan in China? Not always a preferable combination!
In Case of this restaurant you can go for it!
True japanese kitchen in mid of Mong Kong.
Tastefully and freshly prepared.
A try even if you are not guest of the Langham Place Hotel.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Staying in Langham Place Hotel I visited Tokoro several times. This is an excellent restaurant offering a wide selection of flavoursome Japanese dishes. The friendly staff always offered advice on the various combinations of dishes. Go, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We came in to the Langham Place Hotel late on a Sunday after a long day of travelling, we were both exhausted & desperate for a meal before getting some rest, and wandered into Toroko. Given it was a quiet time, we were attended to almost immediately and the service provided was great. Our menus were iPads, which seems to be an emerging trend among the more upper class restaurants around the world. This, while cool & with its benefits, did make deciding a bit difficult (maybe it was just that I was super tired & couldn't remember which dishes where on which pages - I really needed a notepad & pen).
The iPad came with its other numerous features, such as interactive wine lists, etc, which is pretty cool and a useful tool.
Our drinks arrived quite promptly, as did our food. Now I haven't eaten a huge amount of Japanese food before, but this was some of the best I've had. The Beef & Foie Gras sushi is my new favourite thing! Even if you're not a big fan of foie gras, I definitely recommend you try it!
The meal was a bit on the expensive side, but it was worth it for the service (David, Elaine & the rest of the crew were all very helpful, knowledgeable & provided an excellent level of service) and the quality of the food.
After our meal we had a nightcap in the Whisk(e)y bar next door, which was great. Again, it was very quiet - we had the whole place almost to ourselves - but that didn't stop the staff from giving us their full attention. Often, that late & on a Sunday night, all that the staff want to do is pack up & go home, but they gave us their full attention & gave our night the perfect finish. The guys behind the bar (I can't remember their names) were great. Again, very knowledgeable & enthusiastic about their product. I'm looking forward to getting back there to spend more time checking out some of the other whiskys!

What was originally planned to be a "grab a quick feed before crashing" night turned out to be an unexpectedly great little evening.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

While we were staying in Langham Place Hotel, we walked in to Tokoro Robatayaki & Wiskey (sic) Bar, and we were glad to find a nice quiet table for two. We were concerned that the price of the food might include an entertainment charge for chefs who grill meat and vegetables for a crowd of appreciative onlookers. But we saw no onlookers, just other people, mostly couples, who were sitting at tables.

Instead of a menu, we were given one iPad. OK, that’s chic. The server asked us what we wanted to drink, and he deftly tapped up the drinks page. It wasn’t easy for us to share the iPad between us to choose drinks. When we ordered, we had a hard time remembering the page numbers on the iPad where we saw interesting dishes. Finally another waitperson pitied us and gave us a second iPad. So when we agreed what dishes we would share, I wrote down the page numbers and orders in my iPhone Notes section (guess that’s chic, too) and ordered the following:

A chicken teriyaki maki roll. Sounded interesting, but when I wanted to eat it with wasabi and asked for wasabi, the server reached across in front of my nose to pour soy sauce and left. We wondered, would he ever bring wasabi? He eventually brought wasabi. He said it was special wasabi (didn't say why), and he came back to witness our delight at the special wasabi. We said yes, yes, we were delighted (but we didn’t think it was unusual). Maybe we don’t know good wasabi.

Deep fried tofu. We couldn’t find agedashi tofu on the menu, and we chose an item on the menu called “deep fried tofu.” Behold, when I arrived, it was agedashi tofu, complete with bonita skin, in miso soup. It tasted delicious.

Unagi rice, which was unagi on a bed of rice. It was very good, and we were able to eat part of the rice with our next dish,

Silver cod. The cod we had a couple of nights ago at Inagiku (in Tsim Sha Tsui) was delicious, but even though the cod at Tokoro was larger with larger skin area, it was not as tasty.

It was convenient to be able to use the Langham Place Hotel wi-fi while we were eating. We decided not to order dessert given the strange service and variable quality of food.
The bill without dessert was about the same as the bill at the hotel's two-Michelin-star Ming Court Restaurant where the food, including dessert, was superb. We found the tofu and unagi rice quite tasty, but we would have got a better value if we ate twice at Ming Court and skipped Tokoro.