“Michelin-Starred Chef Alejandro Sánchez does it again”
Review of Mesa 15 - CLOSED

Mesa 15
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Local Hong Kong friends recommended that I paid a visit to a rising Spanish restaurant named Mesa 15. They simply told me "go, you will like it". Being Spanish, I always take recommendations for "authentic" Spanish food in Asia with a pinch of salt, but having a fine taste for food as they do, I was piqued by their statement and made a booking.

This said, I'm always far more optimistic about a potential positive visit to a Spanish restaurant in Tokyo and Hong Kong , the 2 food capitals of Asia, than in other big cities such as Shanghai. Over the years, there have been a number of able and convincing Spanish or Spanish-educated practitioners in both cities, and I have regularly had fantastic Spanish fare in Spain-loving Japan, often better than in many places in Spain.

When our waitress came, I asked her if the Chef was Spanish (yes, he is from Almería) and what his name was (Alejandro, she said). The surprise came when, with our dinner underway, the said “Alejandro” came to say hello and we could realize that he was THE Alejandro Sánchez of the eponym Michelin-starred Roquetas de Mar restaurant in the Spanish Southwest coast!

With business in Spain taken care of by his loyals, with regular supervisory visits by the Boss, Alejandro is now busy building himself a name in the Asian restaurant scene. One place already opened in Hong Kong (Mesa 15) and another one opening very soon.

In Mesa 15, we found a very “authentic” menu, with a strong Southern Spain accent. I was craving for Spanish food, as I had not had a decent Spanish meal since Christmas back home, so we went for some of the fool-proof classics: Jamón (very good bellota, hand-cut as it should be, with convincing pan con tomate), Ensaladilla (fresh, with some diced green olives to give it some punch), Croquetas de Jamón (better than my mother’s) and 2 rice dishes: Arroz con Gamba Roja (Red Shrimp rice, cooked with a very specific type of Mediterranean sweet-meat shrimp) and Arroz con Bogavante (Lobster rice).

Rice was cooked to please the local clientele (a bit longer than we are used to in Spain, but fully understandable and still very very good) and flavors were a bit softer as well, again adapting to the local taste. Both rice dishes were delicious.

The wine list was put together with care, and this is something I always look into carefully. Wines were not picked because it was just what the local Distributor had in their listings, there was a rationale and a structure to it, moving from small-vineyard high-quality bubbly (Raventòs i Blanc) to nice whites and a few Rioja and Ribera heavyweight reds.

The Restaurant is set in a nice 2-floor layout, with high tables in the ground floor. Very pleasant decoration and lighting makes things even better.
The best Spanish food I have tasted in Asia in a loooong time and my instant-favorite Spanish place in Asia.

2  Thank AntonioShanghai

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We passed by Hong Kong 2 weeks ago and a friend had advised us to try the Mesa 15, a Spanish restaurant. We are very happy to have followed his advice. The place is rather small and it was difficult to get a table. We were obliged to take an early dinner but we do not regret it. We decided to opt for a discovery menu which was concocted by the Chef. It was modern Spanish food without to be extravagant and both tasty and light. The 5 dishes included asparagus, scallops, shrimps, Iberico ham, braised beef etc and the dinner culminates with a marvelous chocolate based dessert. In addition the service was both professional and friendly. For the quality the price was very decent. No doubt that we will go again to the Mesa 15 when we go back to Hong Kong.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Good food and wine, nice ambience, attentive service: good value for money in the middle of Whyndham Street

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Mesa 15 it's a Spanish tapas restaurant with a twist. The dishes are creative, not the usual Spanish menu we know by heart from everywhere in the world and the ingredients of amazing quality. One of the greatest cheese platters we had in Hong Kong was at Mesa 15. The atmosphere is cosy but vibrant. Worth going back quite often!

1  Thank Tilena T
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Went to the restaurant together with a chinese business partner for dinner.
Creative dishes, big variety to choose from and a large wine selection. All of this in a very stylish interiour with relaxing chill sounds.
A feast which I can highly recommend and next time I am in town... a reservation will be a given ;-)
TIP: table needs to be booked in order to enjoy the restaurant.

2  Thank traveller1969