“Saint-Germain” 2 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Saint-Germain”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We both thought the food was very nice but not for the prices they were charging ,we were asked not sure how many times if everything was OK and it seemed we were being rushed .
I would not recommend this to anyone at these prices .

• Korean first
Hong Kong, China
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had lunch at Saint Germain with my husband. We are French. I ordered a beef tartare that was served already prepared and mixed. I have a strong egg intolerance, which i forgot to mention it is true, as i don't mind just removing the egg if there is one on top, but when i asked if anything could be done, the server - Zach - did not have a better idea than open the kitchen door 4 meters away in the empty restaurant and shout "SHE is NOW saying she is allergic to eggs!!". Of course he came back saying there was nothing to do as their tartares are already pre-made (!), which to me says a lot about how genuine it is. We swapped with my husband but i waited another 20 minutes for the day's special (which was ordered from the beginning). Terrible overcooked lasagna. A detail but baguette slices are ridiculously thin which just looks stingy. Especially considering a la carte prices. We came for dinner some time ago with friends and i remember finding the fish excessively buttery. Very disappointing overall.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Transported to the Left Bank!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in Wan Chai adjacent to the Happy Valley Race Track. Walking down the street, past the tram, find St. Germain on the right. We were searching where to eat...and there it was, the Left Bank of Paris in front of me! I lived in Paris 1989-1992 and I recognized "St Germain" the street I lived near. I recognized the exterior Bistro style, and the menu of the day written with chalk!

We went in and there were NO tables available so we sat at the bar...not so comfortable as a table but we were hungry for French tastes! We enjoyed a few bottles of Sauvignon blanc, a wonderful starter, main dish, profiterols and a cognac....what a treat, everything tasted fantastic. The staff (Italian & Chinese) were great and we HIGHLY recommend this location!

Hint: Make a reservation for a table...Indoor/outdoor near the door. Nice table layout and opps if you ?vant to be...alone."

Hong Kong 跑馬地黃泥涌道1A地下‎
+852 2836 6131

Helpful? Please vote yes! Thx

• Visited December 2012
Malaysia
“Paris in Happy Valley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We found this place by chance in a way. We had been looking around Happy Valley trying to find a particular furniture shop and having failed, we were about to get on the tram back towards Central. Then we decided a drink was called for and out of three bars which are near the tram terminus on Wong Nai Chung Rd, we chose Saint Germain. It was attractive and cute given that it is very French in its style of decoration and its ambience. And indeed it is a French brasserie, and we were delighted. It was happy hour (3.00 to 7.00pm), we had an excellent choice of beers and wines by the glass, we enjoyed a bar snack (duck rillettes and a quiche lorraine), the staff were friendly and efficient, and the happy hour prices were great of course. All very relaxing and therapeutic after an abortive walking tour of Happy Valley!
We will certainly be back.

• Visited November 2012
China
“Feeling to be in a Brasserie in Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I went twice to this new restaurant , and both time I had a great experience .
Not so much because of the service not very smily but the food was delicious , I took frogs delicious , and rare to find good one in a restaurant, the beef was juicy and tasty , my friend took the Steak tartare and like it very much and my husband enjoy very much his andouilette.
For the dessert the Gratin de fruits was divine ....
and the second time due to big traffic jam we arrived at 2pm instead of 1 pm and they have been very nice on the phone telling us that it was no problem.

• Visited November 2012