“Liked it”
Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
Ranked #92 of 162 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here in May 12. Really liked the hostel. The room itself was small and we sort of had to take it in turns to use the bathroom and get ready next to the bed but other than that it was great. We had one day of torrential rain for the entire day so we were confined to our room. We thought we might go insane but the air con was good, the tv worked and the constant flow of free tea and coffee made it ok. The guy on the counter was very friendly and helpful. He even washed our clothes for us. The only slight issue we had was that the air con system made a loud noise through the night(not in the day though?!) Other than that really liked it. Chungking Mansion is an experience and can be a bit daunting, but don't be put off. After all, we all go to these places for 'the experience' don't we?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacky M, Owner at Canadian Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thanks very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed with this mansion in Feb, but i stayed at the Days hotel in block D. my experience in this hostel is already better. The gentleman at the front desk is very friendly. The room is really small, and a bit expensive compared to the last, but say you're coming from Canada it's not expensive at all. The room is clean and I have one window with a fan and air conditioning. There are a lot of people outside the building trying to sell you stuff, but the people who work for Chung King mansions keep an eye out for visitors. When I first arrived off the bus I was given the business card and the gentleman told me which direction I needed to be in. Once inside people made sure I got to the right elevator. Anyway I did have to pay more for this room compared to last time, but they are really friendly here, and I would take that over rudeness any day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your review. Due to the reservation of the previous guest being extended without prior warning, we had to allocate you to the other hostel. Nonetheless, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked this a room in this hotel in October for 2 nigths. Rooms were paid before arriving When I arrived at the hotel, it was full and no room for me even if it was booked and paid. They gave me a room in the same block, but 14th floor, called Angel guesthouse. It was a small room, without any window, lenght of 1.8m and a too small bathroom. It was dirty and they were some bugs. I had this poor room for the 2 nigths and no refund. Be careful.

Room Tip: The positive thing is the location, nearby the see so very convininet to go and see the light show a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AmeliefromTianjin

Thanks for your review. Please note that due to overbooking , we had to find alternative accommodation and unfortunately, at that very day we could only find that and would like to apologize as that accommodation clearly did not meet the standards for you.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

tout gave me a price of 150 hk ,but when you get up to the hostel the 150hk rooms are full,,don,t stay anywhere here as the whole building is full of liar,cheats,drug dealers..you will be annoyed non stop by criminal touts non stop .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank jonga77

Thanks for your review. Please be a little bit more considerate choosing your review title next time as it may be offensive to other persons reading your review. Note that 150 HKD rooms are very hard to find these days. Also, the properties are much more secure and safer than perhaps during your stay.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

The price is too expensive for this poor facilities. If you can't live in a module with no Windows at all and can't stand the noise around....then this hotel is not a place to go. Think twice if you are traveling with children....Investigate before make reservation.

Room Tip: Beware of this Hotel..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank John D
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Canadian Hostel is located in Chung King Mansions, which some may say is scary. But as others have said, it is an experience in itself. The hostel was easy to find as they had mailed in instructions through e-mail immediately after I made a reservation online. I simply provided my card and even though I booked for 4 nights, they only did the required one night charge first. Paid cash upfront, got shown my room, even though not the biggest, it was clean and the staff showed me what the switches were for etc. They even provide free tea and coffee and water , which I thought was wonderful as other bigger hotels rip you off for those! The staff was delightful, even though they do not speak perfect English, just enough to get by. Never hesitated to help even if it was at 2 in the morning helping me to find my keys! Did my laundry for free as well. The WiFi was speedy as well.

To sum it up, the hostel is safe, secure located in a building some may deem as 'scary' but you can avoid people by saying 'No thanks'. The rooms are clean, not too large but good enough. Staff is pretty decent. I would recommend to anyone who wants to stay at a reasonable priced hostel without being disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Soni1991
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is the Chungking Mansion. You aren't going to get a 5 star experience. You will get a room and that is about it.

I've stayed at several places at the Chungking and this is as good as any.

One thing I will note, the bandwidth here is actually really good. Much better than what you will see at higher end hotels.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo