“Excellent hostel - Great prices, wonderful staff!”
Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
Ranked #99 of 158 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Glasgow
“Excellent hostel - Great prices, wonderful staff!”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Canadian Hostel is located in Chung King Mansions, which some may say is scary. But as others have said, it is an experience in itself. The hostel was easy to find as they had mailed in instructions through e-mail immediately after I made a reservation online. I simply provided my card and even though I booked for 4 nights, they only did the required one night charge first. Paid cash upfront, got shown my room, even though not the biggest, it was clean and the staff showed me what the switches were for etc. They even provide free tea and coffee and water , which I thought was wonderful as other bigger hotels rip you off for those! The staff was delightful, even though they do not speak perfect English, just enough to get by. Never hesitated to help even if it was at 2 in the morning helping me to find my keys! Did my laundry for free as well. The WiFi was speedy as well.

To sum it up, the hostel is safe, secure located in a building some may deem as 'scary' but you can avoid people by saying 'No thanks'. The rooms are clean, not too large but good enough. Staff is pretty decent. I would recommend to anyone who wants to stay at a reasonable priced hostel without being disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Soni1991

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Nomadic
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is the Chungking Mansion. You aren't going to get a 5 star experience. You will get a room and that is about it.

I've stayed at several places at the Chungking and this is as good as any.

One thing I will note, the bandwidth here is actually really good. Much better than what you will see at higher end hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GaryArndt
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I booked online as a last minute option because other reviews rated this place as ok (booked in the morning of arriving at the hostel). My friend and I got to the hostel, saw the area and thought its not great, but OK. Paid our money and then the person said he would take us to where we are staying - AT ANOTHER HOSTEL ALTOGETHER. We went to another part of the building complex. It was at this point I demanded my money back and went and stayed at a nicer hotel (YCMA).
This whole changing rooms just isn't kocher. After all this drama, I checked my emails and noticed that an email had been sent by the hostel with instructions and a phone number to call. We doubled checked the number and had called the correct one.
The area isn't great and I didn't feel very safe.
Also the hostels in Hong Kong aren't like Europe - they are a few rooms in a rabbit warren type building.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Helen M

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Kiev
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I booked a single room at Canadian hostel via an e-mail and didn't have to make any prepayments which I liked a lot. Most reviews of any hostels at Chungking Mansions are full of scary stories (especially about the building and the people there), so I didn't really know what to expect. The hostel mailed me very precise instructions on how to get from the airport to their front door, which I followed meticulously and found them without a problem. So, when you read reviews saying that Chungking Mansions is a mess, it's impossible to find anything--it's the problem of the searchers more than the problem of the building. If you know the bank of elevators you have to take (A,B,C, etc.) and the floor, you'll find your place within minutes.
Annoying people at the front entrance--true, but if you ignore them or just wave them off or say "no, thank you" they will not bother you. Actually, that becomes an entrance ritual which is fun, in a way.
The main floor of the Chungking Mansions may seem scary and unsafe, but when you take a closer look, it's actually, a lot of fun to observe. People are very different and stories unfold right in front of your eyes. They say it's the best and the cheapest Indian food in HK--I didn't try but was very tempted.
So, when I found the Canadian Hostel (elevators E, 7th floor), and was shown my room, I was very disappointed. I knew it'd be small but I didn't even have a window (which I specified at booking after reading other reviews.) There were also some other things I didn't quite like. I said to the receptionist that he confirmed there'd be a window and he asked me to give me some time to solve it. Within 15 minutes, I was offered to relocate to another floor for a room w/ a window at no x-tra charge. I accepted and what I got was still small, but very proper, quiet, no smells, there was a windows in the room (which I preferred to keep behind shut curtains) but there was another one in the bathroom, which I could open, let fresh air in and even, eventually, dry some clothes I. Wi-Fi was free and worked OK. There was a common hallway outside shared by 3 other rooms. In the hallway was a fridge, kettle, tea bags and some other things that came in handy. The room was cleaned every day and at some point, I got a new towel. The bed was wide and comfortable. On the 2nd day, already, I got used to everything and started enjoying my stay. I had some issues that needed to be resolved immediately (at 1am) and when I called the hostel number, within a short time someone would come and fix the problem with a smile.
Elevators are indeed slow and you have to wait for them a bit, but you meet a variety of people there and some are eager to chat with you.
I never one felt myself in any danger, even at 3am when I was frequently coming back. There's a night guard by the main entrance downstairs, and even though, you'd still be offered hash, you may just keep walking and nothing will happen.
All this hysteria I read from European tourists who found the Chungking Mansions dangerous and scary just makes me laugh. You are coming to Hong Kong, not Montreal, so expect it to be Hong Kong! And if you still want it to be Montreal, don't look for the cheapest accommodation, go directly to book your Holiday Inn (next door) or some other international chain hotel.
Again, not all hostels/"guest houses"/"hotels" at the Chungking Mansions are the same. I believe others may be smelly and dirty (though, rooms are probably the same size everywhere). But when you read hostel reviews, pay attention to evaluation of the hostel itself, not the building. The building is an experience, but not a danger.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Sasha K
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed in a very clean room at the Canadian Guesthouse in chungking mansions. We were meant to be in a large twin toom, but they put us in a larger 5 person room. The hostel owner has 2 guesthouses in chungking and we actually sstayed in a different named one but I think they were both of a similar standard. Free tea, coffee and water, plus towels etc comfy beds. Location is excellent - we walked to all the main sights from chungking, Cheap food and snacks can also be bought in the ground floor. I think it was good value for hong kong.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple