“convenient,comfortable and secure..”

Ranked #38 of 247 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Tagbilaran City, Philippines
“convenient,comfortable and secure..”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I made my reservations thru their website. Mr. Ken answers my emails promptly and made a HKD 1000 deposit by paypal. I always reminded him that we will arrived early dawn with my family. He gave me clear instructions on how to reach Taisan Burlington Block A. We stayed for 5 nights with my husband, 5 year-old daughter, 1 year old son,my father-in-law and my sister. The quadruple room was enough for the six of us.The location is very convenient to MTR station,restaurants and tourist attractions and the bus stop is just in front of the building. Ali,the Indonesian caretaker, is very accommodating.She cleans our room, arranged our clothes, and changes towels everyday. The whole building is secured. Every time we arrived late in the evening, the guards will request us to fill-up a form and ask for the passport number. We never used the aircon during our stay because the January breeze coming from the window is cold enough to make us comfortable. Taisan is unique because they provide computer in each room with internet and can be used too as TV, we found an English channel. My only problem was the hot and cold shower in our room. It was ice cold shower for all of us one morning. But we just laughed it out.I told Ali about it and she was apologizing to us, and she'll let someone fixed it immediately. If I have a chance to go back to Hongkong, I will definitely stay in Taisan Guesthouse Burlington Block A. It's nice to take rest in their comfy bed after a tiring day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank mama_ely

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked directly to Mr. Ken thru email and paid the HK$800.00 downpayment thru Paypal. We stayed for 4 nights at the Burlington A (opposite elevator where Burlington B with ate Yolly is located) with Ali as the housekeeper. Ali cleaned our room, changed towels and replenished our shampoo daily. We were provided free drinking water, the dispenser is in the little hallway. There was a microwave which could be used, esp. if you brought home food for snacks or breakfast. Ali was very nice to us, she even washed our clothes free of charge. I was thankful to her for that. The room was of medium size, we could move around. I could open the window, I loved the coldness of January air. The cr/bathroom was cleaned daily too, with hot/cold shower. Taisan's location is excellent too, very near to everywhere. Food, clothes, sightseeing all accessible. I will stay there if I'm back to HK.

Room Tip: Request for a room with windows. And also ask Mr. Ken if the room is really reserved under your name...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Leilanie_12
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Booked 3 nights, for a quad sharing room at HK$ 580/night. Paid an advance deposit of HK$ 500 to secure our reservation. We arrived at the hotel with minimal expectations, because it was a Guesthouse, not a hotel. The guesthouse caretaker, Yoly, was a Filipina (as I am) and I was expecting less problems since there would be no language barrier. But we were in for a horrible surprise.

Alarm bells started going off when the caretaker Yoly led us to a different part of the building, towards the back. We had to go up these narrow steps to a secluded little room. She matter-of-factly said they were fully booked and it was the only one available for the night and that we could transfer to our actual room the next day. Huh? What was the $500 deposit for then? She didn't even apologize for the mix up, like it was a normal occurrence for them to over-book. Since we had nowhere else to go, we decided to check it out.

Room: It smelled musty, and it sucked. My boyfriend & I plus another friend (3 pax total) were to share the room. What we paid for was a Quad Sharing room with 2 queen sized beds, but the room they led us to had a bunk bed instead! What the?! I know HK guest rooms are really small, but this one was just ridiculous. The bunk bed occupied almost the entire room, no space for even 1 pc. of luggage & absolutely no space to move around. I commend the genius who decided it was a good idea to cram in a computer desk with a PC into the already crowded room! The only good thing about this was that the PC was working and internet was fast (then again, it's fast ANYWHERE in HK anyway!).

Bathroom: It had NO door, just a see-through shower curtain separating the room from the bathroom. If you were on the bed, you could clearly see whoever was using the toilet or the shower. To make it worse, the toilet flush was not working. The elevated cistern leaked & sprayed water all over when I pulled the flush chain. Really gross.

Service: We complained to the caretaker about the room, the non-working toilet & the leak, and Yoly was so annoyed that we even bothered her. She scowled as she told us: "Wala naman ibang gumamit nyan na nagreklamo. Hindi naman yun sira kanina. Hindi lang siguro kayo marunong mag flush! (Nobody else has complained about the leak. The toilet wasn't broken earlier. You probably just don't know how to work the flush)" WOW.

Location: The only good thing about this Guesthouse. Located along Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui, walking distance from an MTR station & bus stop, plus all the shops along Nathan. Still not enough to be this guesthouse's saving grace, given the horrible experience.

We initially thought we could deal with one night in the cramped room, but after the toilet spewed and it wasn't flushing properly, we decided to leave. We had to forfeit the deposit and waste an entire day looking for a different hostel to transfer to, plus the hassle of moving all our stuff to the new place!

So if you're thinking the price is worth the headache, you've been warned. Stay away. There are many other hostels/guest houses along Nathan Road or in other areas in Tsim Sha Tsui that are in as accessible a location, but much much better than this horrible place!

Room Tip: Choose a good room...some place else!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Panda_sabs
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The rooms are small, no window and the toilets are very small also. the bed occupies the whole area of the room and you cannot move around. small computer desk with desktop. very crowded place and the beddings are not well cleaned. the only good thing is the area is within the city district accessable to MRT station and shopping malls.

Room Tip: not a good guest house to stay
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Ariel1103
Reviewed June 18, 2012

it was our first stay in a guesthouse and it was a good experience. i would advise those who want to stay here to bring cash because they dont accept credit cards and you need to pay the balance as soon as you arrive.

the room and the bathroom were clean. The bed sheet and the pillows also smelled clean. the hot water in the kitchen was a big plus especially for those who love to drink coffee.

the location - superb, very close to the MTR station and bus stop. KFC and cafe de coral are so near the building. since this is along nathan road, this is near a lot of malls.

the indonesian housekeeper was so nice to us especially to our kids.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Agie V
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I first stayed here last March 2010. We were really happy with the location, service and room so when we came back to HK last Dec 2011, we stayed here again. A bit small but I wouldnt trade it for good location, safety, cleanliness and friendliness of the caretakers. I would definitely stay here over and over again. Ü

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Grace D
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days with my husband and two kids, the room is clean and you are free to cook and take note of the free rice:-) walking distance from shopping centers. Plus the care taker Ate Yolly who's a Filipina was very accommodating and nice and take note also of their discounted tickets for Disneyland, ocean park and cable rides and Macau and Zhenzhen trip..we will definitely go back here again next year for another trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family