“Upgraded room was nice”

The VELA Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #488 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip because it was the week before Hong Kong Seven, so room rates on the HK Island side was outrageous. There is nothing to write about the facilities because there was none. I guess I was lucky since they automatically upgraded me onto the higher floor with a view to the Race course. That I got to say is much appreciated. I can't see how even 2 people can stay in such small room, for 1 person it was not that bad. This neighborhood is not Tsim Sha Tsui, there is no thrill and it is a very Locals neighborhood, which actually made it very exciting to me. Plenty of small local restaurants within 5 min walk. MTR Time Square is about 10 min walk.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade room with view to the Race course on higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NoiNoi_SF

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This hotel should one or two star hotel, dependign on your level of expectation.I did not like this hotel.

A few good points:
- the location is neat time square bilding, so you can access to range of cheap to high priced restauaurants in the mall, and to many cenral activities. But you need to walk 10 min thorugh crowded streets and narrow, busy traffic lights to get there.
- The hotel staff was friendly and responsive to complaints.
- Wi-Fi is free. But it disconnects after 10 -15 min, and you need to reconnect.

Bad points
- I did not expect much about this hotel because of ite relatively low price, but I assumed that it would be clean. But it was not clean. In particular, bathroom was not clean and it had green, black molds on the sink. And dirty handles of bathroom cabinet... On the room floor, there were hairs and dusts in the corner.
-The room furnitures were cheap, old, scratched, and unpleasant to look at.
- The hotel must be old, and the rooms were not well maintained over the years.
-The room is very small, and bed mattress was really basic.
-There is air conditioning on the ceiling. When it was on, I could see there were lots of dusts on the air vents. I turned it off not to enhale the dusts.Fortunately, it was rainy and cloudy, I did not need it.
- There is one very small restaurant. But seeing the condition of room, I lost my appetite to eat there.

I think there are better hotels in HK at the same price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Worst "4 stars' ever, dirty, the mattes was hard. The bathroom leaked. The roo looked outdated, the tv was poorly installed.

i really did not like it. I compare it with Crown plaza, and the difference is abismal.

Best

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed here with my parents and younger brother for six nights and I have to say I have had a pleasant stay in vela. Upon check in the staffs were friendly and we didn't need to wait for long time. Room wise, it was clean with free wifi (albeit a little slow, it was still usable), two bottles of small drinking water&mini bar which was replenished daily. The downside I would say was that I could hear my neighbour when they were about to enter their room and the double beds in my room wasn't really double bed but more like super single but it didn't cause us much problem as it fits two normal/thin people perfectly well. In terms of location u still need to walk for a while to get to the mtr station but it was very bearable distance. Shopping area was also just within walking distance. Overall vela was quite of a prime choice to stay in as the price was very reasonable as well. Oh yea, and there's a convenience store down the street.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at Vela for two nights.

Upon check-in, we almost missed the entrance because it was at the back of the hotel and there was not enough, or even no lighting at all. Taxis were only allowed to pick up or drop off at the back !! Very inconvenient when you travel with one big & one small suitcases.

Staff were unfriendly. Room was dark, old, dated, gave us an unclean & creepy feeling !! Boxes of bottled water/linens were found lying around the corridor right outside our room, blocking the fire exit. This made us worry about our safety in case of fire and wondered whether we should stop using their towels !! The so-called pantry at the end of the corridor was just partitioned off by a 'curtain', which we dared not put our heads thru in case we found something awful !!

We didn't find many staff around during our entire stay, either on guest floor or at the tiny little reception. Again, this made us wonder about our safety inside the hotel !!

The location might be the selling point of this hotel. But again with so many other options available, I definitely would never return unless they have a complete make-over !!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank t y
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Considering there are so many places to stay in Hong Kong, you'll be better off avoiding this hotel. The hotel facilities itself are pretty generic, and the only really positive thing about it is it's location (close to the MTR and shopping and dining areas.

Service from the front desk staff is VERY average, mostly inconsistent depending on who is there.

WiFi in the rooms are a joke. You need to do your emails in the small lobby.

There's also some sort of "night club" on the 3rd floor so you get to see a lot of dodgy looking people in the lobby and elevators.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Chose this after bad night in cheap digs across the harbour, well worth the $115USD a night given it's 3 stars, cheap as I stayed 5 nights. Not close to the train at Causeway Bay even though the entry is close by in Times Square, since you walk another 5-10 mins underground. Wan Chai station is a little further. But I used the trams and it was great.
The rooms are average size, comfy bed, great toilet and shower, friendly staff, safe in the room, free minibar (not alcohol). Cafe/restaurant downstairs. They offer airport transfer for $150 but you have to walk 5 mins to the collection point. Heavy smokers smell in the exit stairwells but nothing in the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo