“Small but great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay
Ranked #448 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Small but great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is superbly located for shopping and for transport links - 5 walk from Causeway bay station and loads of taxis around. Little disappointed that the concierge could (or would) not call us a cab. Other than that we found all of the staff very friendly and helpful.
We had two rooms on the top (39th) floor and the views are SPECTACULAR! As we had double rooms (with single occupancy and very little luggage) the size of the rooms were not an issue. However the rooms are TINY. They both had balconies with, if you're brave(!) jacuzzis. They were very clean and house keeping staff replenished the toiletries and bottled water every day. We were warned by reception that the wifi signal could be poor in rooms so high but we had no issues (we both have iPhones).The shower/toilet were separated from the room by a sliding glass wall so privacy would be limited to say the least! I would definitely return here but would recommend caution to anyone with a lot of luggage or couples that require space/privacy when in the room.

Room Tip: Top floors are best and if you can get the 39th, the views are great!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Raymond S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear sir

Thank you very much for sharing your compliment about the hotel location which is a five minutes’ walk from Times Square and Causeway Bay subway station, your enjoyment of the spectacular city view on 39th floor, as well as the hotel warm and friendly service. Our concierge team has been very helpful and have no hesitation to assist any travel arrangement. I will brief the captain about your concern.

Like most of the key cities, space is indeed a luxury in Hong Kong. Although our rooms are not big, but they are fully functional.

Should your travel schedule brings you back to Hong Kong, please let us know. We look forward to warmly welcoming you again in the near future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here for three nights with my husband. Rooms are very very small, I.e. no wardrobe. This did not matter for us but if you were staying longer I expect you would need more space. Clean. Decor interesting and over the top but did not offend me. What made the room was the great view. We had a room on the 35 floor nd after 2 previous stays in HK at different hotels this was the best view by far. You could see the harbour, the hills and the city. Check in and check out were ok. Overall a great budget hotel. Would go back if it was just the 2 of us, I.e. no children.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Raymond S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear madam

Thank you very much for your compliment about the hotel on value, cleanliness and its nice city view of Causeway Bay, Wanchai and Victoria Harbour on 35th floor.

The hotel has 39 floors in total and guest rooms above 16th floor could enjoy very nice view of the city. Besides, we have a very convenient location which is a few minutes’ walk from the Times Square and MTR subway station. It is indeed an ideal choice for travelers who look for value and location convenience.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you again in the near future.

Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I read the reviews and was expecting a small hotel room -- and having lived in Hong Kong for four years I am very familiar with what is "relative" -- but I was still taken aback by just how tiny the room was.

First the positives: The hotel is in a great location if your primary purpose is to have a shopping frenzy. The room was also very clean and I was on the corner of the top floor (room 3711) and the view was spectacular. Service was prompt and friendly and the concierge went out of his way to find a taxi for me in the middle of a tropical downpour.

Now the downside: The room was small. Like really small. There is no way you are going to be holding the Asian Cat Swinging Championships in there. It would be carnage. There are no cupboards (just a hook on the wall) and nowhere even to put a suitcase. There is a bed and a tiny desk which is completely full before you even get started. The lifts were really slow and the TV signal was very, very poor. Also, the internet wi-fi was very poor.

If you really just need a bed for the night and don't intend to spend any longer than that, then it is actually a cheap option in a great location. I originally booked for five nights but left after one -- I would have ended up slashing my wrists if I had to stay in the room for longer. Just way too small. I explained this when I left early and the management were very gracious and had no problem with cancelling the rest of my stay.

Obviously the business model works as the hotel is very busy.

Room Tip: The view from the top floor towards the harbour are fantastic, but the trade-off is the lousy elevat...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear sir

Thank you for your comments posted on Tripadvisor.

First of all, thank you very much for your compliment on location convenience. Yes, the hotel is right next to the shopping hot spot of Causeway Bay, Times Square. Besides, there are plenty of scaled shopping malls nearby such as Sogo, Hysan, Lee Garden, World Trade Centre, to name a few. We have a good housekeeping team who make great effort on maintenance and keeping our rooms clean and functional. We will relate your compliment to the concierge. It will definitely motivate the team to continue their good, prompt and friendly service.

New hotels recently built on central business district and prime shopping areas are quite small due to the inflating land price and limited availability of land. Half of the hotel rooms have cupboards. Although our rooms are not big, they are nicely decorated and functional.

During prime traffic time, it might take a little longer for lift service, around one to two minutes because we have 39 floors in total despite that there are three lifts in service. Most of our guests report fine connection of WiFi. I guess it must be the prime time of usage between 10:00 to 12:00 pm.

You are very right that this business model works because the hotel has constantly running full house. These days, a lot of travelers are looking for location convenience, friendly service and value for money accommodation service. Although we cannot please all the travelers, we are happy that most of our guests are happy with what we are offering in terms of value and location convenience.

Once again, we treasure your valued comments.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would like to share my worst experience at the Best Western Causeway Bay total, so those who wish to stay here, they must think twice first. I was glad I only stayed for 2 nights, as I would die if I stay any longer.

I was totally disgusted when I stepped into the hotel lobby, compact in size is NOT an issue, but the unfriendly receptionist is the biggest issue especially in the hospitality / service industry, am glad I did not expect to receive warm and friendly service from a 3-star hotel, and I know jolly well if I want fantastic service, I should have booked a 5-star hotel.

I checked in at 12.30pm, the Receptionist speaks to me as if I owed them a living or am at their mercy, and when they told me my room is only ready at 2pm, they gave me a "take it to leave it".

I felt very uncomfortable to receive such service, esp after long flight from 5am, and I kept blaming myself for making such a hasty decision to confirm the booking at this hotel.

The room is without a wardrobe, they only provide you with 2 hangers in the room, am shocked to see this as this is not a motel.....

Security might be an issue as well, as I do not see any security guards around the hotel. It is expensive to hire a security guards in a 3 star hotel ?

Bed is not comfortable as the hotel provided a spring mattress, and it gives out nose when you toss and turn.

Upon checkout and had settled my bills, the ill mannered receptionists didn't even say "Have a safe trip" or "Thank you for staying at the Best Western", maybe it costs a lot to say those simple.

For those with budgets, you may want to consider Holiday Inn Express Causeway Bau (right opposite Time Square) than Best Western, as the service is warmer, and room is bigger with a WARDROBE.

I will not recommend anyone t stay in this awful hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Raymond S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your comment posted on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to learn that we are not doing well enough to meet your expectation.

Friendly service is one core value that we want to deliver to our guests. I can understand that it is very tiring after a long morning flight and come to learn that the rooms are not ready at 12:30 pm. For the last three weeks, the hotel has been running full house. Considering that official check out time is 12:00 pm, it might take a little while for the room attendants to clean the room. However, the way to deliver the message or accommodate are of my concern. Usually, we advise our guests to leave their bags at concierge and take a walk around the Causeway Bay area such as Times Square, or have a coffee at our dining room. Obviously, the receptionist is not presenting the message friendly enough. The management team has organized a training right away to refresh and reinforce the importance of friendly guest service and communication skills.

Our security officers are dressed in black shirt, which you might not notice. We have officers in each shift to patron around in different public areas including dining room, car park, lobby and guest floors. Besides, we have CCTV in different public areas and guest floor corridors so our security officers can supervise the traffic in those areas.

We treasure your comments which pinpoint the areas where improvements need to be made. We will be working harder in order to do better.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We're family of 4, (me, my wife and our little boys 7 and 9 yrs old arrived in hongkong on April 17, 2013 @ 6pm), its our first trip to hongkong. Sadly I wasn't book a hotel because I relay on a friend who told me would help to find us a cheap one in Causeway Bay, but she look like busy on that day.
Lucky for me there is good internet connection in Hkg Airport, so I should relay on tripadvisor again. Its not easy to book a hotel for check in hour forward, especially for cheap one :)
and I find this hotel on tripadvisor which linked me to booking that time for 2 night.. the cheap 2-10 times than the other @same area which there is available room.
I was read before about the tiny room, but no problem for us because I heard about most of the cheap hotel in hongkong are same. I'm just worry the hotel will charge my 2 boys as an extra bed guess.. but until we're checkout..no extra bed charges.
Our room was in 3510, clean, tiny, but we chose to stay here for the location and the price - not for the ambiance...the view was such a pleasant surprise.. no explanation just see my photos.
location is opposite with Causeway MTR station via Time Square Mall and Holiday Inn Express.. so from the airport we reach the hotel by Bus to causeway bay (cheaper than by airport railway).
Staff were helpfull, we bought our ticket to disneyland and ngongping 360 at concierge, at the second day we go to the peak and madame tussaud but no buy ticket from them again and find they true.. cheaper than I buy directly at Peak Trem Terminus. :)

Room Tip: If you like the view in the photos.. ask room 3510
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Raymond S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear sir

Thank you for your compliment on our hotel location advantage and friendly service.

Yes, the values that we aim to deliver to our guests are great location convenience in Causeway Bay, friendly service, free WIFI, space-efficient and functional guest rooms. The rooms above 15th floor enjoy a spectacular view of the Hong Kong city and we have received many compliments on this.

I am glad that your family enjoyed the stay here and visited some popular tourist attractions. Another great place that you cannot miss is Ocean Park which is 7 minutes drive from the hotel only.

We look forward to warmly welcoming your family again in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is an absolute disgrace. Best Western should be ashamed. Paying approximately €100 per night for a makeshift bed, with possibly the cheapest mattress I have slept on travelling through south east asia which is saying a lot. The room is the size of a standard hotel bathroom. The shower is almost over the toilet and the hand basin is in the room, as there is no room in the bathroom. The hotel is adorned with gaudy but probabably expensive chandeliers everywhere including in the lifts, which barely has space to fit 4 adults comfortably. They might have instead invested in showers that actually work and toilets that flush. Moving onto the other hotel facilities, the gym specifically. The gym is a room half the size of my hotel room, with a treadmill (you can not use as it makes so much noise and is next to guest rooms) a cross trainer that doesn't work and an exercise bike. So in actual fact there is one exercise bike in this hotel, no gym. 5min walk to MTR - 15 min walk and I walk fast! Safety features - my room window opens and I'm on the 23rd floor, I would not recommend staying here with a child. In fact I wouldn't recommend it at all. Corridors are so narrow I actually have no idea how anyone would exit if there was a fire - in fact I looked for guidance and I'm attaching a picture of what I found - Fire Precaution, pay extra attention to using electrical appliances and smoking in your room, you might cause damage to furnishing!!!!! I actually feel like best western have robbed me

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jennie B
Raymond S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for critical comments especially on the hotel room size.

Guestrooms of 3 and 3.5 star hotels in Hong Kong are relatively small especially in prime location such as Causeway Bay, Central and Tsimshatsui. Space is indeed a luxury in Hong Kong. The hotel room size is quite similar to some mid range hotels in prime downtown area of Tokyo. Although it is not big, it is functional and gives location convenience and friendly service to our guests.

It is a walking distance of five minutes to Times Square and there is a Causeway Bay subway station exit right below the complex. Other exits near Sogo department store are 10 to 15 minutes’ walk from the hotel.

The hotel was built according to the government authorities and all fire regulations are complied with. The Fire department has very strict regulations especially those hotels that were built in the last five years (including this hotel property). The hotel has 9 to 10 rooms per floor only and therefore, the corridor provides sufficient space for guest traffic. Windows in guest rooms are always locked with Allen key lock, unless our guests specifically request the window to be opened. We nicely turn down those requests when there are children traveling with.

I believe your staying period falls onto mid April when there are a couple of major trade fairs in Wanchai area when hotel room rates in Hong Kong are much higher than off season.

Our objective is to deliver location convenience, friendly and efficient service, free wifi, and value for money accommodation experience to our guests. We will work harder in order to deliver better.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel is within 5 minute walking from Causwaybay MRT station. The station is usually busy but offers endless shopping. The hotel is also next to local market which you can buy fresh fruits. Hotel room is very, very small. If you have many luggage, it's mostly likely going to be in the way. Room is very clean and functional. Bathroom is also very small. Bed is a bit uncomfortable.

The hotel has a gym that has 3 excercise machines all facing the wall in a small room. I don't think anyone would want to use the facility.

The small pool on the roof was interesting as it offers great view of the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Raymond S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear sir

Thank you very much for your compliment on the location. Causeway Bay has been the most popular shopping, dining and entertainment district in Hong Kong. The MTR subway station and Times Square is a five minute walk from the hotel. Many of our guests do find the location very convenient.

Guestrooms of three star hotels in Hong Kong are relatively small especially in prime location such as Causeway Bay. Like most of the key cities, space is indeed a luxury in Hong Kong.

A lot of local citizens and tourists enjoy jogging in Happy Valley Race Course which is a walking distance of 8 minutes from the hotel only. It could be your ideal choice for your return visit.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.