“Worst experience ever in my life......”

Best Western Hotel Causeway Bay
Ranked #471 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would like to share my worst experience at the Best Western Causeway Bay total, so those who wish to stay here, they must think twice first. I was glad I only stayed for 2 nights, as I would die if I stay any longer.

I was totally disgusted when I stepped into the hotel lobby, compact in size is NOT an issue, but the unfriendly receptionist is the biggest issue especially in the hospitality / service industry, am glad I did not expect to receive warm and friendly service from a 3-star hotel, and I know jolly well if I want fantastic service, I should have booked a 5-star hotel.

I checked in at 12.30pm, the Receptionist speaks to me as if I owed them a living or am at their mercy, and when they told me my room is only ready at 2pm, they gave me a "take it to leave it".

I felt very uncomfortable to receive such service, esp after long flight from 5am, and I kept blaming myself for making such a hasty decision to confirm the booking at this hotel.

The room is without a wardrobe, they only provide you with 2 hangers in the room, am shocked to see this as this is not a motel.....

Security might be an issue as well, as I do not see any security guards around the hotel. It is expensive to hire a security guards in a 3 star hotel ?

Bed is not comfortable as the hotel provided a spring mattress, and it gives out nose when you toss and turn.

Upon checkout and had settled my bills, the ill mannered receptionists didn't even say "Have a safe trip" or "Thank you for staying at the Best Western", maybe it costs a lot to say those simple.

For those with budgets, you may want to consider Holiday Inn Express Causeway Bau (right opposite Time Square) than Best Western, as the service is warmer, and room is bigger with a WARDROBE.

I will not recommend anyone t stay in this awful hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Raymond S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your comment posted on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to learn that we are not doing well enough to meet your expectation.

Friendly service is one core value that we want to deliver to our guests. I can understand that it is very tiring after a long morning flight and come to learn that the rooms are not ready at 12:30 pm. For the last three weeks, the hotel has been running full house. Considering that official check out time is 12:00 pm, it might take a little while for the room attendants to clean the room. However, the way to deliver the message or accommodate are of my concern. Usually, we advise our guests to leave their bags at concierge and take a walk around the Causeway Bay area such as Times Square, or have a coffee at our dining room. Obviously, the receptionist is not presenting the message friendly enough. The management team has organized a training right away to refresh and reinforce the importance of friendly guest service and communication skills.

Our security officers are dressed in black shirt, which you might not notice. We have officers in each shift to patron around in different public areas including dining room, car park, lobby and guest floors. Besides, we have CCTV in different public areas and guest floor corridors so our security officers can supervise the traffic in those areas.

We treasure your comments which pinpoint the areas where improvements need to be made. We will be working harder in order to do better.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We're family of 4, (me, my wife and our little boys 7 and 9 yrs old arrived in hongkong on April 17, 2013 @ 6pm), its our first trip to hongkong. Sadly I wasn't book a hotel because I relay on a friend who told me would help to find us a cheap one in Causeway Bay, but she look like busy on that day.
Lucky for me there is good internet connection in Hkg Airport, so I should relay on tripadvisor again. Its not easy to book a hotel for check in hour forward, especially for cheap one :)
and I find this hotel on tripadvisor which linked me to booking that time for 2 night.. the cheap 2-10 times than the other @same area which there is available room.
I was read before about the tiny room, but no problem for us because I heard about most of the cheap hotel in hongkong are same. I'm just worry the hotel will charge my 2 boys as an extra bed guess.. but until we're checkout..no extra bed charges.
Our room was in 3510, clean, tiny, but we chose to stay here for the location and the price - not for the ambiance...the view was such a pleasant surprise.. no explanation just see my photos.
location is opposite with Causeway MTR station via Time Square Mall and Holiday Inn Express.. so from the airport we reach the hotel by Bus to causeway bay (cheaper than by airport railway).
Staff were helpfull, we bought our ticket to disneyland and ngongping 360 at concierge, at the second day we go to the peak and madame tussaud but no buy ticket from them again and find they true.. cheaper than I buy directly at Peak Trem Terminus. :)

Room Tip: If you like the view in the photos.. ask room 3510
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Raymond S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear sir

Thank you for your compliment on our hotel location advantage and friendly service.

Yes, the values that we aim to deliver to our guests are great location convenience in Causeway Bay, friendly service, free WIFI, space-efficient and functional guest rooms. The rooms above 15th floor enjoy a spectacular view of the Hong Kong city and we have received many compliments on this.

I am glad that your family enjoyed the stay here and visited some popular tourist attractions. Another great place that you cannot miss is Ocean Park which is 7 minutes drive from the hotel only.

We look forward to warmly welcoming your family again in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is an absolute disgrace. Best Western should be ashamed. Paying approximately €100 per night for a makeshift bed, with possibly the cheapest mattress I have slept on travelling through south east asia which is saying a lot. The room is the size of a standard hotel bathroom. The shower is almost over the toilet and the hand basin is in the room, as there is no room in the bathroom. The hotel is adorned with gaudy but probabably expensive chandeliers everywhere including in the lifts, which barely has space to fit 4 adults comfortably. They might have instead invested in showers that actually work and toilets that flush. Moving onto the other hotel facilities, the gym specifically. The gym is a room half the size of my hotel room, with a treadmill (you can not use as it makes so much noise and is next to guest rooms) a cross trainer that doesn't work and an exercise bike. So in actual fact there is one exercise bike in this hotel, no gym. 5min walk to MTR - 15 min walk and I walk fast! Safety features - my room window opens and I'm on the 23rd floor, I would not recommend staying here with a child. In fact I wouldn't recommend it at all. Corridors are so narrow I actually have no idea how anyone would exit if there was a fire - in fact I looked for guidance and I'm attaching a picture of what I found - Fire Precaution, pay extra attention to using electrical appliances and smoking in your room, you might cause damage to furnishing!!!!! I actually feel like best western have robbed me

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jennie B
Raymond S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for critical comments especially on the hotel room size.

Guestrooms of 3 and 3.5 star hotels in Hong Kong are relatively small especially in prime location such as Causeway Bay, Central and Tsimshatsui. Space is indeed a luxury in Hong Kong. The hotel room size is quite similar to some mid range hotels in prime downtown area of Tokyo. Although it is not big, it is functional and gives location convenience and friendly service to our guests.

It is a walking distance of five minutes to Times Square and there is a Causeway Bay subway station exit right below the complex. Other exits near Sogo department store are 10 to 15 minutes’ walk from the hotel.

The hotel was built according to the government authorities and all fire regulations are complied with. The Fire department has very strict regulations especially those hotels that were built in the last five years (including this hotel property). The hotel has 9 to 10 rooms per floor only and therefore, the corridor provides sufficient space for guest traffic. Windows in guest rooms are always locked with Allen key lock, unless our guests specifically request the window to be opened. We nicely turn down those requests when there are children traveling with.

I believe your staying period falls onto mid April when there are a couple of major trade fairs in Wanchai area when hotel room rates in Hong Kong are much higher than off season.

Our objective is to deliver location convenience, friendly and efficient service, free wifi, and value for money accommodation experience to our guests. We will work harder in order to deliver better.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel is within 5 minute walking from Causwaybay MRT station. The station is usually busy but offers endless shopping. The hotel is also next to local market which you can buy fresh fruits. Hotel room is very, very small. If you have many luggage, it's mostly likely going to be in the way. Room is very clean and functional. Bathroom is also very small. Bed is a bit uncomfortable.

The hotel has a gym that has 3 excercise machines all facing the wall in a small room. I don't think anyone would want to use the facility.

The small pool on the roof was interesting as it offers great view of the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Raymond S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear sir

Thank you very much for your compliment on the location. Causeway Bay has been the most popular shopping, dining and entertainment district in Hong Kong. The MTR subway station and Times Square is a five minute walk from the hotel. Many of our guests do find the location very convenient.

Guestrooms of three star hotels in Hong Kong are relatively small especially in prime location such as Causeway Bay. Like most of the key cities, space is indeed a luxury in Hong Kong.

A lot of local citizens and tourists enjoy jogging in Happy Valley Race Course which is a walking distance of 8 minutes from the hotel only. It could be your ideal choice for your return visit.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We arrived in Hong Kong after a 14-day Asian cruise and we were just looking for a place to stay for 4 nights before heading back to the States. When our cab driver pulled into a narrow alley, we thought he was lost...no, that's where the entrance to the Best Western Causeway Bay is. We got there at 10 am and the concierge desk locked up all our bags (8 of them) until we checked in at 1 pm then they brought them up to the room. Once inside this hotel, you can't believe it how beautiful and upscale (the lobby is lovely) it is THEN we went to our room. WOW! The view was spectacular. Ask for Room 3311 - it's a corner room with windows on both sides. If that's not available just tell them you want a room on a high floor ending in "11." We could see Victoria Harbor out of one window & Victoria Park out of the other. We could also see all those other hotels that charge 2 to 15 times more than our room cost. Now for the cons...the room has no drawers or closet but there was room for 5 suitcases lined up along the wall next to one of the twin beds. We both had packed a bag on the ship to get all our stuff out of that we needed in HK so it wasn't bad. We wanted extra pillows and towels which we got - had to sign for them but since we didn't take them home with us, we weren't charged for them either. On the plus side, the room has a small fridge so we were able to have cold drinks in the room. We were also able to buy fresh fruit at the markets in the alley. Around the corner from this hotel is a great Chinese Laundry - we had our stuff back the same day at a reasonable price.The hotel has free wi-fi (ask for the password at the desk) so I was able to receive and send emails AND look up possible places on Trip Advisor to eat at. We had a tour the next day with Jaimie at J3 Private Tours and while he was not a huge fan of the location of our hotel, he said that we (two women) were totally safe in this neighborhood - as well as all of Hong Kong. And we often came back late at night with no worries for our safety. This hotel is 5 minutes from the Causeway Bay Metro entrance (across from McDonald's) and all the buses and cable cars have stops close by. It's centrally located (by Times Square) which is the major reason we chose this hotel. It was hard sometimes to find an employee in this hotel who spoke English but we chose to stay here for the location and the price - wanted to spend all our money on the kind of stuff you can only get in Hong Kong - not for the ambiance...the view was such a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Any room ending in 11 on a high floor is going to give you the best views.

Dear Sandi

Thank you very much for your compliments.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoy your stay at the hotel and its location convenience. The location advantage makes this hotel a popular choice for travelers. Most of the days, the hotel has been running full house. Since most of the guests check out between 11:00 to 12:00, we do have occasion that rooms are not ready for guests who check in earlier than our official check in time, which is 2:00 pm.

The hotel does have a chic lobby design and rooms above 15/F floors have a spectacular view of Causeway Bay, and partial view of Victoria Harbour.

We receive comments from some guests about the room size. Allow us to share with travelers that hotels in similar location with spacious room size would cost two to three times more. Our objective is to deliver location convenience, friendly and efficient service, free wifi, and value for money accommodation experience to our guests, which most of our guests appreciate.

It seems that you spent good amount of time to explore the hotel surroundings. Yes, there is a popular fruit market in two minute walk, a few convenience stores nearly, more than 30 local food stores in five minute walk and many reputable fine dining restaurants in Time Square and its surrounding. I just hope that you have a chance to take a tram ride tour around Hong Kong which could be fun. Ocean Park is only a driving distance of 8 minutes.

Our staff at front desk and restaurant can speak fine English. Some room attendants do have room to improve their English.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and look forward to warmly welcoming you again in the near future. Please ask for rooms above 15/F floor.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Hotel is an a dirty and unkempt street. Two doors down is a recycling company with all the charms of a rubbish tip
The layout of the hotel is beyond bizarre with the concierge at street level in what appears to be a former loading bay complete with lorry turntable, the reception is on level 3 and the breakfast room on level 6. WTF!
When you get to your cell you find that only Tolkein's Hobbits could live in them. Not enough room to swing a gnat let alone a cat:-
no wardrobes or drawers hence crumpled clothes = grumpy guests
bathroom so small as almost suffocating
No chairs for sitting
mini bar that can hold two small bottles of water and has no ice

The buffet breakfast is beyond bland. Even budget travellers would moan about the grub.
Staff are just about OK under the circumstances knowing that they work in a hotel where all guests will complain about something. I hope they get paid well and if they are not then they are either masochists or are having counselling.
No taxis pass by this hovel, so you are cast into the street to either stand on a corner or walk 10 minutes to the nearest rank at Times Square. Talking of taxis, getting back is pot luck as most cab drivers have never heard of the place.
MTR station is miles away and directions to it are poorly signed

Additional amenities:-
Bar, Lounge and Coffee Shop - none as the management obviously decided that guests should not enjoy their stay
No doubt if these were provided they would probably have rip off prices just like the rooms for which my friend and I paid US$ 900 for 4 nights.

Conclusion:
Location - beyond parody
Comfort - non existent
Facilities - Er no!
Value for money - I don't think so
Recommendation - Not even to my worst enemies

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else

Dear guest

We are sorry to learn about your comments on a few areas.

The hotel is located in Bowrington Road in Causeway Bay. Round the corner are two main roads namely Morrison Hill Road and Leighton Road. Causeway Bay MTR subway station at Time Square is five minutes’ walk from the hotel only.

Our express buffet breakfast provides green salad, bread and toast, cereals and a few hot dishes including items such as sausage, ham, egg.

Our bellmen do offer assistance to our guests to take taxi at a drop off point which is a few steps’ walk from the hotel. It might take a bit more to catch a taxi during prime period in the morning and evening.

From the price and the date this comment was made, I believe you traveled during the period when there were Rugby Seven and Asia Pacific Leather Fair held in Hong Kong when demand is extremely high. Hotel of four stars with more space would cost as high as US400 per night in the area. But right after these two events, we have promotional offer in the range of US$100 to US$120.

We aim at delivering friendly, efficient, location convenience and value for money service to our guests.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

You will love Hong Kong :)

You will not like Best Western :(

From the Urban Caseman !
The location of the hotel is really good in the centre of causeway bay and near times square that has all the shops and restaraunts you would require. Easy access to all the the main areas such as wan chai (walk) centre and kowloon (tube) or tram .
The hotel is entered from on one side a small side street and the other side from what resembles a market during the day and a waste disposal site at night.
Both doors lead to two lifts , looks ok.
Get in and can only access to third floor (funny) get out at reception , looks ok . can now access the eating room this is by no way a restaraunt or bar (dont stop at this floor). You may now proceed up to the twenty odd floors and find your room.
As big as a phone box with no where to hang your clothes (keep them in your case ) only option available.
The wash basin is in your room as you enter , bit weird ! But the tiny shower room and toilet are very clean and efficient as are the room maids.
Windows are screwed shut so get used to the air con buzzing or the best tip would be to go out in the morning and stay out as long as you can all night would be best , you can the pop back and enjoy the shower !
Hope this helps you . i wish some one had told me, i would of gone to the Excelsior as i will next time.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same (small) it should be called the Best Goldfish Bowl. Two people WILL NOT sque...

Dear Sir

Thank you for your comments posted on Tripadvisor.

It is great to learn about your compliment on the location where the hotel is situated. Yes, it is a walking distance of five minutes only to the Times Square where there are hundreds of shops and restaurants nearby. There are buses, MTR subway and tram that connect you to most of Hong Kong’s popular attractions and commercial areas. It is only a few steps away from the main road namely Morrison Hill Road.

We have a dining room on 6/F where breakfast and pasta is served. Of course, for guests who want to experience many other cuisines such as Japanese, Korean, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc, there are many choices in the area.

Although our rooms are not spacious, it is functional and clean, with WIFI access. Space, especially in Causeway Bay, is a luxury in Hong Kong. It is an ideal choice for travelers who look for value for money accommodation service in prime commercial and entertainment location.