“An entertaining informative tour that even the kids will enjoy!”

J3 Private Tours Hong Kong
Ranked #4 of 147 Tours in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: 45 years in Hong Kong - I am the most experienced and most highly rated Private Tour Guide in Hong Kong, awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 6 years in a row, 2012 to 2017, I take bookings up to a year in advance with NO deposit or pre - payment required. I do take last minute bookings - subject to my availability! I'm English and I am a private tour guide - I offer premium quality private tours of Hong Kong. That's right - tours personalised to your custom specifications. Going local with Jamie who has lived in Hong Kong for 45 Years! and your Private Tour with a local Hong Kong Resident starts right here Amazing Hong Kong, the former British Colony from 1841 - 1997 My private walking tours are perfect for couples, families with kids (of any age!), cruise ship passengers, airport layover passengers, friends, solo traveller's and private groups of up to 8 people. Jamie's private tours - no ordinary experience
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a great private tour with Jamie! He was full of information that he delivered in a funny and informative way. I felt like we really got to know Hong Kong through his eyes. He answered all our questions and made us understand how people live here. We brought along 3 kids ages 7,11&15 and they all thoroughly enjoyed the tour. He even made visiting the temple fun for the kids! I love how Jamie took us on the tour via the public transportation system. That is really the way to go. He taught us how to navigate it and we felt comfortable taking the train ourselves afterwards. We also rode on the bus and the ferry. We booked a 5 hour tour and by the end, we were all exhausted from all the walking, especially the younger kids.

I had to change our tour time and length several times before our appointed date and Jamie was very flexible and easy with the changes. He was also flexible with the tour as we went along. This was my only complaint- during the middle of our tour, I realized lunch is not factored in the tour and my kids were starving. Jamie led us to a pizza shop near the stock exchange and it was actually pretty good. However, I would have appreciated eating some pork buns or other authentic Cantonese food. He made up for it though when he showed us the best egg custard bakery in Hong Kong island. Yummy!

We asked about tour guide prices through the hotel and apparently Jamie's is the going rate. But not sure who we would have gotten through the hotel. I am so glad we chose Jamie! He has a great personality and talks to you like an old friend. Since we were only in Hong Kong for 3 days, we really appreciated the private tour. Thank you so much Jamie!!

1  Thank Ninninny7
j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Hi Ninninny7

It was a real pleasure to show you and your family around Hong Kong, we had a great time did'nt we!

I appreciate the comments on the food emergency we had, I need to increase my knowledge of local eateries around the HK Stock Exchange that offer dim sum type offerings, I will attend to this as soon as is practical and thanks for bringing this to my attention...I do concur about the egg tarts, they were superb and I need no excuse to eat a few!

I am very, very happy you enjoyed yourselves and thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review, it is greatly appreciated

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My friend and I arrived in Hong Kong following a trip to Japan plus a 14-day Asian cruise which ended in HK. Eight months prior to our arrival, I searched Trip Advisor about tours in HK and after I read 10 reviews for Jamie's tour, I booked our spot immediately...especially after reading that one couple wanted him for a full day tour with Jamie and had to settle for an evening tour because his day tours were all booked up by the time they contacted him. After coming from a cruise ship and 7 different group tours on shore excursions - where we usually had to run to keep up with the tour guide because unless you were in the front of the group, you couldn't hear the tour - we were looking for a different kind of tour and Jamie's tours are exactly that...very personal and designed to what YOU want to do in HK. Neither of us had been to HK before and Jamie showed us where to buy the Octopus Card that would let us ride the Metro, the bus, the cable car and the ferry. He took us to many places in HK all the while telling us about the history and the culture. Jamie's been to these sights many times and has an "in" with the people who work there so you get to go to places not everyone else does. While we were at the largest temple in HK, he made sure we got to observe and participate in all the rituals (learning about the fortune sticks was fun). He has a wealth of information about HK; when we mentioned at the beginning that we prefer Western toilets (no holes in the ground) he told us where to find them (hotels and malls) and took us to one halfway through our tour. By the end of our tour, we had been on the Metro, the ferry, the bus and a cable car and felt we could navigate them and would be able to go anywhere during the rest of our time in HK without Jamie...but that's not all. When Jamie got home that night, he emailed me exact directions to everything we had wanted to see (including photos) - 10 different destinations in all. I took my iPad with me the next day when we took the Metro, changed trains, got off and went to the street, hailed a cab and showed the cab driver - who did not speak English - my iPad with the photo Jamie had emailed of the Chinese street sign outside the Jade Market and he was able to take us straight there...no miscommunication. We saved a lot of money on cabs by taking the Metro as much as we could and using cabs or buses when there were no Metro stops near our destination. Had a backpack so it was easy to carry my iPad around to refer to when we were using Jamie's directions (he should write a book). By the end of Day 3, we were zipping around with our Octopus cards like HK natives. They say, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime." In addition to taking us to some amazing sights and sharing funny stories, Jamie taught us to fish (aka use the public transportation around HK) and now I can find my way easily in what used to be a strange city. He's the best!

1  Thank Sandi M
j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Hi Sandi M

Thank you for the glowing review, it was a real treat meeting you both, we did have a lot of fun didn't we!

The public facilities in Hong Kong leave a lot to be desired, the Government is making a real effort to add more and renovate existing facilities but they have a long way to go, stick to hotels and shopping malls.

One of the best places for the facilities is the Peninsula Hotel in TST, you get to walk up the famous stairs and view the 107ct yellow diamond ring in Graff ! what could be better.

I am glad you found my instructions informative...

I am very, very happy you enjoyed Hong Kong and I hope to see you both again

thanks

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Jamie seems to know every niche and corner of this city. Ask him the most obscure fact, for sure he has the answer!

We did several tours with him, all excellent, however his value extends beyond that, since he's happy to extend his knowledge to things you might want to to do beyond those places he's taking you to.

For us it was our first Hong Kong experience and Jamie set us on the path to having a very full HK agenda and even found for us some of the best food we've had in ages. Thoroughly enjoyable, great to be with and a real font of HK knowledge, use him - both you and he'll love it!

Hi Friggykeith

It was a real pleasure to meet all 3 of you on your recent trip to Hong Kong and thanks ever so much for the great review.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the American Restaurant so much...!

Hope to see you all again soon

Thanks again

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have you to thank for making my time in Hong Kong so amazing, Jamie-I can't thank you enough. I know how busy you are with just keeping up with your business details, so taking all that extra time to take/send me the photos is truly "over and beyond", as they say. It was so very, very kind of you to do it and I am just thrilled that I will have some photos to remember my Hong Kong visit by. All the pics are terrific, but I have to say, there's something special about that chicken!! Thanks again for everything, after my three month tour of South East Asia, your tour of Hong Kong was by far my favourite experience!

j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Hi Gscott

Thank you so much for the lovely review, I very much appreciate it and all your kind comments, my you where away quite a while!

I agree the chicken photo is a classic. I often look at it and have a good laugh

I am so happy you enjoyed your experience.

Thanks again

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I recently had a city tour of Hong Kong with a friend of mine. Jamie came highly recommended to me by another friend. When I wrote to Jamie I mentioned things that were of interest to me, and Jamie did his best to incorporate the things I wanted to see into our tailor made tour. Its obvious that Jamie loves Hong Kong, and loves his job, there's not much he doesn't know about this exciting city, he is the font of all knowledge !!!!

By best thing about the tour was that we had a good laugh! he is really funny, we shared the same sense of humour, as we are both from Blighty! Would recommend anyone going to Hong Kong for the first time to book a tour with Jamie.

j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hi Sallyanne O

Thank you.

It is always a great feeling to get such a nice review.

I do love my job. Hong Kong is such a fabulous city, by no means perfect but I could not live anywhere else!

I really enjoyed our time together!

My best to you both