“An Island Of Tasty French Bistro Food In The Heart Of HK”

Bouchon Bistro Francais
Ranked #231 of 8,054 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Take a stroll through with the tastes of Paris within the unique atmosphere of Bouchon. Cosy and comfortable with great cuisine and wines in the true French style. Choose from a superb selection of Hors d'oeuvres, La Charcuterie, Salades, Soupes, Cocottes, Assiettes and Garnitures and Desserts with Specialties Maison daily. A superb collection of French wines is available.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“An Island Of Tasty French Bistro Food In The Heart Of HK”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

It was the first full day in town for Soul Mate and she wanted to do a walking tour. So we hoofed it around Central to check out some of the unique architecture at buildings like the Bank of China and HSBC. While there, we thought it might make sense to take the tram up to the top of Victoria’s Peak and do a little walk on one of the paths. All of that walking worked up a good appetite, so, we headed over to Elgin Street to see where we might grab a bite to eat.

I had been to Bouchon Bistro a handful of years ago with a business colleague and we had a very enjoyable lunch. So, we decided to give it a try. We both started with a salad, which was fresh and tasty. She had a bowl of French onion soup which she liked quite a bit. It had an ample dose of melted cheese on top – so much that at first she couldn’t find the French bread in the bowl of soup. I had the steak frites. A nice, tender piece of beef. The fries were good – my first inclination when I have fries these days is to compare them with what one can get in Brussels, which isn’t fair. These were good.

I had ordered a glass of Cotes Du Rhone and was disappointed to learn from the waiter that they were out of that wine. I was a little surprised because it should be a staple at a bistro. But my disappointment quickly turned to pleasure – the bartender decided to open a bottle of St. Joseph and they allowed me to drink that by the glass. It was wonderful and a very nice touch by the restaurant. Needless to say, I ordered a second glass…

We didn’t make it back there again on this trip – but we will certainly return on future visits.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Ricky R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Manhattan Beach, California, USA
“Random lunch”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We came across Bouchon after our first choice was so loud because of street drilling. Lucky for us!!

A very cozy bistro in SoHo and we got the front table. Perfect day for a bit of French food. The waiter came right up with soft drinks and we both had the prix fix 2 item lunch! $11 dollars!!!!

My wife had a goat cheese salad and I started with pumpkin soup- both fantastic. We then had the steak frites and salmon!! Wow! Score on both. My steak was a bit rare for me and I sent it back with no complaints. Perfectly redone with great frites and a wonderful bernaise sauce.

I would go back over and over if I lived here. Wine next time!!!

Hong Kong, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simple and Good”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Bouchon is one of my favourite place to go when I want simple and good food!!

The location is nice and when is possible to eat outside is even better.

All the dishes that I tasted were very good and well executed!
Simple and fresh ingredients cooked in gently french way, nothing too heavy.
Tartar, foie gras terrine and mussels with wine sauce: three great options!!

Not to miss the bearnaise sauce for the steak and the cheese selection.

Service friendly and polite, specially the manager.

• Visited January 2014
San Francisco, CA
“Hope the 3rd visit will reveal good news...”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Went here for a New Year's eve dinner. Was brought back by a great first time experience in terms of food (as one of the reviewers notes, this place had a traditional brasserie menu) and drink. Unfortunately, no menu ordering as the evening's meal was a set menu with some choices. All the food was excellent and atmosphere nice despite the cramped feeling (hard to avoid at most restaurants on Elgin street). Service was spotty--obvious a number of the staff did not want to work. I really hope when I next go back the restaurant will indeed have its "old menu" back. Note: the average value rating was because of the high price for the New Year's eve set menu (though this is a common opportunity for restaurants to charge more).

• Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Authentic Bistro”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We chose this restaurant just by walking past. It seemed unpretentious, with quite a few diners, so we entered and weren't disappointed. From the greetings, to the friendly & helpful staff, to the authentic dishes made with flair, we had such a lovely experience. I know you can't choose your fellow diners, but our neighbours also raved about their meal, and then when you are joined on the other side by an actual Parisienne craving home-style cooking, then you can't really go wrong. You know they are doing something right when everyone is talking to others like regulars who meet at this restaurant on a regular basis. Loved it & we can't wait to visit Hong Kong again, just to go back to this restaurant. Definitely look it up if you are visiting Elgin St, Hong Kong.

• Visited January 2014