“menu descriptions are misleading”
Review of Koh Thai - CLOSED

Koh Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed April 23, 2012

we went with a couple of friends for dinner at the Wan Chai location, and it was a fairly good experience. ambiance was good, prices were decent, portions were relatively generous, and service was fine. however, a couple of our dishes did not meet our expectations. we chose the spring rolls with "crab meat" -- and it turned out to be IMITATION crab meat. we also ordered the pad see ew with WIDE FLAT noodles (as described in the menu) and they turned out to have the thin rice noodles like you find in pad thai. definitely not what we ordered. when we complained, the server said something about talking to the chef but didn't offer to take the dish back or anything.
however, my friends really liked their red curry and the pomelo salad was pretty great. they also gave us a free brownie with a birthday candle for my friend's birthday, so that was pretty nice.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Visited the Wan Chai location in a party of 4 for a friend's birthday dinner. Overall, the meal was strong, but marred by some issues with service that were really unexpected given how the restaurant presents itself.

Walked up around 8:30 with no reservation, where the maitre d' immediately tells us there are no tables, we persist and she relents by showing us to a perfectly adequate table for 4 on the outside patio, in view of several more available tables (still not sure what she was playing at...)

Ordered the crab spring rolls, which we later found stuffed with imitation crab meat, a grave no-no in HK! Later, we had to ask for the check twice before they remembered to bring it around.

Faux-pas aside, the good stuff --

1) pomelo salad was excellent, juicy fruit, nicely spiced, with shredded chicken
2) red curry was creamy and flavorful, side of steamed rice was fresh and fluffy
3) pad see ew was pretty good
4) bottle of pinot noir from NZ was delightful
5) complimentary birthday brownie delivered with candle was delicious way to wind down the night
6) restaurant itself was nicely appointed with thai-inspired decor that is not over the top, a good place for an evening meal, and easy to have conversation

overall price for 4 was around 1100 HKD

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have eaten in many Thai restaurants in HK and for service, cost and taste this is one of the better choices. The pomelo salad is perfect, the green curry fragrant and the mango and sticky rice is not only a delight but is very generous in size too. Staff are courteous and as mentioned is very reasonably priced.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Attractive modern ambiance with a rooftop patio for warmer weather. Best tables are at the windows on the quiet street side. Some of the tables have high chairs, which are not as comfortable.
We ordered a Pad Thai with chicken and two red curry dishes. The Pad Thai was a little bland but could be spiced up if desired with some chili peppers. The red curries were flavourful and just spicy enough.
All the servings were very large.
Tea was served in a nice little pot, which is how I prefer it.
Staff were courteous and friendly.
The meals were ready so fast, it was truly amazing

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Koh Thai has a number of restaurants in HK and I visited the small one on Mosque Street, Mid Levels. This restaurant has only about 10 tables and due to its small size, its difficult not to have a table seated by the front door, the bar, the kitchen or the toilet. They do have tables on an open terrace upstairs however as this was January and cold, I did not venture to look. The food was reasonable priced and there were some innovative dishes (Lamb shank in massuman curry sauce was good). Portions were small/average. Staff were not as slow and unattentive as other reviewers have indicated. Dishes are generally not as hot and spicy as traditional Thai dishes in Thailand however, this is probably done to cater for the large Westerner population in the surrounding area of this restaurant. However, one real negative item was that this restaurant may have an issue with ventilation. Due to the small size, the staff are very keen to open up the front door as much as possible to provide air to combat the smells/heat from the kitchen. As the weather was cold, rainy and miserable on my visit to Koh Thai, I needed to constantly tell them to "Shut that door" as my guests and I were being bombarded with gusts of cold air! As I endevoured to make sure the door was kept shut most of the time, I did have the restaurant smell on my clothes for the next 5 days!