“Hong Kong's own Amalfi Coast”
Review of Stanley, Hong Kong

and up
Hong Kong Island Half-Day Tour
Ranked #24 of 818 things to do in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: Stanley is very different to other parts of Hong Kong, or completely different from what you think about Hong Kong. Stanley, located at the southern of Hong Kong island, is much more relaxed with beaches, hills and coves. You will find the western atmosphere in this small Chinese town.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Folsom, CA
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Hong Kong's own Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is such a change of pace from the other side of the island. Where HK city is faced paced and crowded, Stanley is relaxed and relatively laid back. Some come here for the shopping. I came over for a relaxed lunch and a stroll along the quayside.

If you have the time, you can get to Stanley by taking the MTR Island Line to it's end at Chai Wan and catch the 16M minibus. The bus fare is $10HK which can be paid in cash or with the Oyster Card.

Visited April 2013

• Vietnamese first
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best outing place with beaches”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went this place in the morning and was quite impressed by the way it looks like a decent place with lots of pedestrians walking around. we had our dinner at Chungs cuisine, a great place for chinese food. is a combination of mall park and beaches and shops. my wife picked up some quick clothes from the stanley market and then we went to enjoy inside the beach.. the only cons is, there is not proper bathrooms for changing. males are okay in shared bathrooms but for ladies it quite shameful to change their clothes in a common bathroom. However, I was lucky to see the beach babes which are found very rarely in asian beaches. Excellent place and a must visit for every traveller.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Abhinav-Jha
New Hampshire
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great day trip!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We took a cab to Stanley the day after we flew in from the states so we were very jet lagged so my memory is a bit hazy on it, but I do know it was a beautiful! We were visiting my sister who lives in HK so she was a good guide for the day. Had a very nice lunch outside on the water, we relaxed and sat for a while watching people and the junk boats on the harbor. The market was full of kitschy trinkets.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Lauren G
Vancouver, Canada
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Nice getaway from the crowds, but overpriced.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to Stanley with my boyfriend during our 3 day trip. We took the #40 bus from Causeway Bay. The area is quite nice and definitely a nice change of scenery from the busy streets in other parts of Hong Kong. I did find things to be quite expensive in the area. My single small scoop of gelato was $5 and a small box of chocolate covered almonds was $15. It is a nice area to walk around in and there's also a lot of public seating if you would rather bring your own food and drinks. There is also a small playground for children.

London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A nice getaway but the market is a little junky”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

A 100 $HK cab ride away ( $16), Stanley is an easy getaway from the concrete jungle. The waterside promenade has an easy family friendly vibe with a variety of restaurants to please any palate.
The market is a bit of fun but don't expect to find anything particularly interesting as its a collection of kitsch and touristy trinkets.
Overall, I nice break from the city.

Visited March 2013