“Average chain "Italian"”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

After a long walk, the Spaghetti House seemed like the best choice in the area. The restaurant was very crowded and it felt like we were shoehorned into our seats. The menu is vast with all sorts or Italian come Eastern cuisine and I was left a but confused with the choice of concoctions. Settled for the mashed potato and meatball starter followed by the banana and chocolate crumble. The meatballs were cooked well and had some flavour but the banana crumble left a sour taste in the mouth as the fruit wasn't quite ripe enough. Service was slow and some waiting staff preferred to walk round talking into their mics than serving the customers. Tried another location in Causeway Bay later in the week and found it rather pleasant and not too crowded this time round.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

It looks like the ordinary family restaurant, but the pasta it offers is extremely good. Spaghetti is al dente, salad fresh, soup steaming hot. That's enough to describe it a good restaurant. Moreover, the price is affordable

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Another great place if you are not a lover of chinese food. A varied menu and reasonably priced. Drinks and main course for two was roughly £20.

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Food was good but quantities were very small and extremely expensive. I ordered a linguini and a juice and my friend got a small minestrone soup and a hot Chinese tea and we paid HKD 220.
In order to lure me back, the restaurant would have to double th quantity and reduce the price by 25%

Reviewed July 26, 2012

1) I ordered the seafood risotto, thinking I was indeed ordering risotto but was very disappointed when the dish came. Frankly I think they should rename that dish - 'Arborio rice with sea food'. It did not have the smooth, creamy texture or consistency of a genuine risotto dish. It was more like a combination of fried rice and saffron rice. When I expressed my disappointment to the waitress she seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. Eventually she asked me to choose something else. I opted for the Lasagne. And this brings me to my second complaint.

2) When the bill came I saw that I was billed for the first meal (with the risotto) and I paid with a $500 note. However, when the waiter returned my change I noticed it came with a different bill and my change was short of the correct amount. I queried the newer, and higher, bill. He said I had ordered the lasagne and that was why I was given the higher bill. I told him, I did not in fact 'order' the lasagne, I ordered the risotto but was dissatisfied with that and my waitress told me to choose another dish, which I did. I argued that I should not have been billed for the lasagne since that was offered as a substitute for my first choice (risotto). Eventually he gave in with obvious ill grace and refunded me the correct amount.

For these two primary reasons I did not enjoy my meal, and I would therefore hesitate to recommend this restaurant to my friends. I can't honestly say what was served to me was risotto. They might have used the correct rice grain from what I can tell, but the chef definitely added his own twist to the recipe. All well and good, because it was quite nice as a rice dish with seafood, but it wasn't risotto and it shouldn't have been advertised as risotto! I can't believe I'm the first person to point this out.