“Best Hotel Experience Ever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #4 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Houston, Texas
“Best Hotel Experience Ever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hotel ICON for one night during a trip to Hong Kong. It was possibly the best experience we ever had at a hotel. From the moment we checked in and until we checked out, we had nothing but smiles our faces due to how friendly and courteous the staff were and how impressed we were with the hotel.

The hotel, itself, is stylish and trendy. It is a training hotel for a university's hospitality college so many of the interns or employees are actually students learning their ropes in the hotel business. As a result, we thought the service was even more exceptional and outstanding.

We booked a suite so we checked in at the club floor (I cannot remember which floor). We were taken to our room and was amazed by the view of the harbor and Hong Kong Island.

Room:
Fantastic. Large. Spacious. Clean! They literally thought of everything. The rooms even come with a free minibar. I had to call the desk to confirm it because I had not seen anything like that before. The room even came with a free mobile smartphone to use in the city.

The gym was on the smaller side; however, it was a beautiful view to see the harbor while running the treadmill. The pool was a bit smallish too, but again, it had a great view. Free wifi in the hotel.

Restaurants:
We dined at Above and Beyond, which is a Chinese restaurant on one of the higher floors. The food and service was fantastic. We also had breakfast, which was free, at the Market. We were blown away by the food lineup. Everything you can think of from Western food to traditional Chinese. The fruit and juices were fresh. Even the pastry and dessert section was exquisite.

Service:
I couldn't believe how friendly and courteous EVERY staff member was. It truly made for a memorable stay.

Location:
Right in the heart of Tsim Tsa Tsui. Close to the famous shopping centers in Tsim Tsa Tsui, and the hotel provides a free shuttle that takes you to the Peninsula hotel and the shopping center by Harbour City. The hotel is also a quick subway ride to Mongkok and other spots in Kowloon and is a short cab ride to the ferry station if you need to get to the island side.

Overall:
I had high expectations going in because of reviews. However, those expectations were exceeded. I will definitely stay here again if I could.

Room Tip: Book early if you want to make a reservation for the Market buffet for lunch and dinner. I was told...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zizouzidane
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear zizouzidane,

We love doing what we do and are so incredibly happy that you all enjoyed your time with us.

We hope to be able to look after you and your wife again in the not too distant future.

Please contact me directly and I will make sure you and your family get a great room at a special rate.

general.manager@hotel-icon.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,502)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Monza, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

What to say, my second time and I preferred to enjoy the gym and the pool instead of having a walk along the river... Top decision: great view, outdoor swimming pool and technogym machines.
The concierge service is very good, ask for James chow , he knows the best choice in case of doubts!

Stayed July 2014
Dear ilaria f,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback following your most recent stay with us. All of the team here at Hotel ICON take great pride in delivering the service that we are famous for, it is just so encouraging to hear such positive comments. Jason Chow at concierge in particular was thrilled you remembered him.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon for another memorable stay. Feel free to email me directly for any future booking.

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous hotel with very friendly and helpful staff! Happy to recommend to all. Beautiful hotel, comfy beds and club lounge is a must with outstanding views :-) would Defiantly return If I ever go to Hong Kong again! Good location right near the harbour

Stayed February 2014
Dear queenstown02,

Thanks for your fantastic feedback regarding your experience at ICON.

When you book your next stay with us please drop us an email and we will take care of your booking.

Fort McMcMurray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a teaching hotel, beautifully appointed and well run. There was no shortage of helpful staff to meet every need or question. At times there was a language barrier with housekeeping and laundry staff, but all other staff were excellent in english. I would recommend the club floor with included breakfast. The breakfast had a wide variety of Asian and western food and many dishes were gluten free (including excellent muffins and cereals). The club experience also includes cocktails, cheeses and cold meats and warm appetizers served between 6pm and 8pm on the 28th floor. Afternoon tea is also available and the complimentary min bar is restocked to your liking twice a day. We had no problem getting around, either by their mini bus or by cab. A great hotel experience which I hope to enjoy again

Room Tip: We were located in a club room on the 26th floor facing the city. The room was quiet and beautifull...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear maureen c,

Thanks for your post and positive feedback about your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you liked ICON. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again in the near future.

Please feel free to email me directly if you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hong Kong was the first port of call on ourHong Kong/Japan trip and we stayed at the Icon for 5 nights, we had a harbour view and we were fortunate enough to have 5 clear and sunny days in hong Kong so we woke up each morning with a stunning view of the harbour and it really brought a smile to mine and my wife's face first thing in the morning. The selection and standard of the food on offer for breakfast at the market was fantastic, the room was very spacious with a big bathroom and the free phone was so handy for locating places. Although it has been highlighted that the Icon is not in the best of locations we didn't have any issues with it, we walked back twice from Nathan road and it took only 10 minutes and we actually enjoyed the walk. However the best thing about the Icon is the staff without the great staff you don't have a great hotel.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view, you won't regret it
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cheung L,

Thanks for your exceptional review regarding the stay at Hotel ICON and I am glad to know that you liked our rooms. Our staff has always been the greatest asset and it’s good to see that you have enjoyed our ICON hospitality. Hopefully we will see you again soon staying with us.

Do feel free to email me directly if I can assist with any travel arrangements.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is a delayed review as I've stayed twice at Hotel Icon, once in Jan 2013 and April 2014. Absolutely LOVED it. Each and every staff, from the Concierge to the waiters in the restaurants were tremendously helpful and had such passion for what they were doing. You can see it in their smiles.

In terms of location, this is located within East Tsim Sha Tsui. It is a "little" away from the main Tsim Sha Tsui stretch that is along Canton Road. However, I welcome the fact that it's slightly away from the mad hustle and bustle. The Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) MTR is about 15 min walk from the hotel. You have a choice of using Hung Hom MTR or East Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station, my suggestion would be to do the 15min walk as it allows you to connect to more lines faster.

In terms of rooms, I loved the well sized rooms which is at least >400sqf. This is pretty huge given that typical hk hotel rooms are <250 sqf. The view of the harbour was brilliant. The minibar is FREE. Yes, that's right... FREE. Hence, you can drink as much as you can... but please note they are all non-alcoholic beverages. They refill it daily. That made my day! There's a printer, full stationery items and a long table which was perfect for working. The bed was firm yet soft (I hope I'm making sense?)... one of those amazing comfy beds you wished you could bring home.

The room service menu and restaurants within the hotel were delish! The Market - you should head there for their buffet lunch (I would strongly suggest to make a reservation as the waiting list is often a month in advance), the international spread was absolutely lovely! Right across the road, you would also be able to find local cuisine in Tsui Wah, Tai Heng (BBQ pork/Roasted Goose)... There's two 24 hour convenient stores right across the road too, just in case you need some mid night snacks or drinks beyond the mini bar.

Also, Hotel Icon is pretty famous within HK hence have no fear when you're taking the taxi's and wonder if they understand English or know where they're going. Most taxi drivers know where the hotel is, if anything you can just tell them its across Chinachem Golden Plaza on Mody road. Access to the airport - you can take a taxi to bring you to the Kowloon station where you can take the Airport Express, I would recommend this as it would cost about HKD$30-40 to get to the station and HKD$90 to get on the Express train that takes <25min to the airport. You can take the taxi all the way to the airport, that would take about 30-40min (depending on traffic.. esp. between 6.30pm - 8pm Austin road gets pretty jammed up so you may be stuck for quite awhile) and that would cost anywhere between HKD$220 - 300. Also, taxi's in HKG charge a surcharge of HKD$5 (either $5 or $8 I can't recall the exact pricing) for each piece of luggage.

If you need any last minute shopping, there's also a huge DFS store right across selling chocolates to luxury goods. If you like science, the HKG science museum is just 5 min walk from the hotel.

P.S: If you can, make time for the pool and gym! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: The corner suites have amazing views of the harbour.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cordeeeeeelia
Dear cordeeeeeelia,

We are humbled by your compliments and are truly delighted that you enjoyed ICON in your own special way.

We will never sit still and will constantly strive to improve what we do.

Please let me know personally if you are coming back and I will do my best to reserve a nice room for you.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

beautiful well thought out hotel a little off the beaten track in Hong Kong. Well appointed rooms
with complimentary smart phone to make free international calls (not to all countries) and use to guide you around Hong Kong. Free mini bar. Club lounge is welcoming and well run with charming staff.
restaurants, serve delicious food. Well equipped gym and not bad sized swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear cathy4563,

Thank you very much indeed for the lovely review.

We are most grateful to you for sharing your experiences at Hotel ICON, especially the "Handy Phone" and the Club Lounge. I hope we can see you again very soon.

Let me know personally if I can assist with your travel arrangements next time.