“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel ICON
Ranked #4 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was at lost while trying to choose a hotel to stay while in HK. A friend of mine came across Hotel ICON on TripAdvisor and recommended that I have a look.

They have a great website which was easy to navigate. The price seemed pretty steep but in retrospect, it was well worth it.

The recent review by kid_at_heart17 really hit the nail on the head - Hotel ICON really looks into the little things that makes for a memorable stay. As my bus touched down at the doors of Hotel ICON, staff were already at hand to manage my luggage. Reception was efficient and the unexpected upgrade was a real bonus.

The room was clean, the design modern, and the view of HK city and harbour simply stunning. The wifi was fast and stable. The complimentary bar with Nespresso machine and the quality toiletries were perhaps the highlights among the well thought out amenities. The gym was nice but you really can't use the treadmill without having a pair of sunnies on as the late-morning glare comes right through.

Their free shuttle dropped off at a strategic location and was timely. The walk to the nearest MTR was only about 10 minutes away, and you're never far from anywhere in HK with the MTR. The buffet spread for breakfast at The Market was exquisite.

All in, two thumbs and an all round recommendation for anyone going to HK.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Foodosis
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Foodosis,
We love doing what we do and are so incredibly happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope to be able to look after you again in the not too distant future.
Please do keep in touch and let me know when you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.
general.manager@hotel-icon.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've been cautioned in getting a hotel that's had fabulous raves because in reality, it may be just pure hype. Choosing the right hotel has been like walking on a tray of eggs. You really can't be too sure if what everyone says is what fits the kind of hotel you really like.

The Hotel Icon was chosen for this particular trip because of a few considerations - Hotel Intercontinental was fully booked on Dec 31- Jan 1 and only Hotel Icon had rooms available for the New Year countdown with a full view to the spectacle from our room (without having to gather to the waterfront).

So what were the plus sides for this hotel?
1. It smelled good. Really smelled very good - from the lobby to the room to the restaurants...it smelled so fresh that stepping back into the hotel after running around the city was truly refreshing.
2. I loved the leather chair that swiveled to face the harbor. you could cuddle in it and doze off looking at the view from your room...
3. The ambience of Market restaurant was cool and the food was excellent. Not too much in your face presentation and freshly prepared!
4. The decor is hip, the bed is heavenly, the stationaries provided are useful and top class, the sundries in the bathroom are always refilled and they don't scrimp on amenities, and oh yes..you're not seeing double because the mini bar is free - even the beer!!!
5. The staff speak English - which is not frequent in a place like Hong Kong.

Now the downside...
1. It's quite a distance from the shopping mecca along Nathan Road and the Mongkok areas. Of course, they compensate for it with a shuttle that runs every 20 mins around the clock from morning till 10PM. Thereafter, you'll either have to walk going back (about a good 30 minutes walk) or take the MTR (to the East Tsim Sha Tsui station to Hum Hong then walk back to the hotel).
2. The elevators take forever to move up or down especially during peak hours
3. Whatever I do, the sunlight peeks into the room at dawn - which means, it's time to wake up. No matter how much I desperately try to draw the curtains, it just won't block all of the sunshine coming into the room.
4. While room service isn't that bad (they forgot my Miso soup on my japanese meal and I had to call them for this), there isn't enough space inside the room for breakfast for two. It becomes cramped after they set one meal tray and there are no seats for in room dining.

Overall, it's not a bad hotel...and if you're after all the smaller things that matter and the finer things in life, this hotel won't let you down.

Room Tip: choose the top floors and the harbor view
3 Thank Benjamin C
Dear kid_at_heart17,
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the team and I am pleased they were able to deal with the little “hiccups” you experienced. We will make sure that everything is perfect next time.
Next time you visit, please email me directly and I will see if we can provide you with a great room at a special discounted price.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for 1 week in Icon for New Year's with the family. 4 rooms in all.

The Pros:

- Very good service - They endeavor to give you everything that you ask for (within limit, of course).

- Nice rooms with complete amenities - Everything is well thought out in the room. Little things like tape, post-it and paper clips are in the room. Small things you never thought you would need when you travel but find very useful. The rooms are quite spacious too, specially for Hong Kong standards.

- Free minibar - what else is there to say?

The Cons:

- Robotic service - Yes, I know i mentioned good service above, so this is not really that much of a negative point, but if the staff would have added a bit more sincerity and warmth, their service would be perfect.

- Wifi phone - They have a "wifi phone" in the room, which I thought "Great! A phone I can use around Hong Kong!", but it turns out that the phone can only be used inside the hotel. I don't see a point for this phone. I stayed in another Hong Kong hotel where they give you a smartphone to use while in Hong Kong (see my other review), now that was very convenient.

- Cleanliness - They made up the room well each day, but you can see that it was not really vacuumed and counter tops and desks were not wiped down as dust seemed to settle. Not a big deal, but it could have been better.

Lastly, location is a bit of a toss-up, as it is not really in the centre of Tsim Sha Tsui where Nathan road is, but there are a lot of convenient places around too, such as the bar street by the waterfront. Also, they have free shuttle every 20 mins that takes you to Tsim Sha Tsui and Harbour City, but getting a ride back isn't as easy as there is no bus stop for the shuttle. Hence, you would have to wait for the shuttle and wave at the driver as he is approaching and immediately jump in when and wherever he stops. If not, the 15 to 20 minute walk back to the hotel is always good for your health.

Would I stay in this hotel again? Maybe, as there are also lots of good hotels in Kowloon, but Icon is definitely in the top 3 on my list.

2 Thank Kenny C
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Kenny C,

First of all, I thank you for choosing ICON for your visit to Hong Kong and for sharing your experience.

Naturally, I am delighted to hear that the team and the service were able to deliver an experience that received such high praise even though you found it a bit ‘robtic’.

In terms of your wifi phone, as you know, we have a very strong commitment to keep our room product completely up-to-date and we go through an extensive and well-thought innovation programmes in order to ensure that ICON is always presented at its best and in its full glory. I am pleased to say we are almost there and will be introducing a portable free phone for city wide use in the next few weeks.

As I said, if you would like to get in touch with me directly I would be very pleased to hear from you and plan your next stay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I wasn't going to write a review for the Hotel Icon. Other reviewers have done a very good job raving about it, but I thought that since we stayed for 12 days, longer than most, that maybe I could speak to what its like to spend Christmas and New Year's in this lovely hotel.

First of all, we sprang for a Suite which we booked and paid for months in advance. We wanted the extra room since we knew we'd have frequent visits from our son and his family who are living in Hong Kong.

The package we got was amazing! It included a small daily laundry allowance, free wifi, free minibar, free breakfast, tea in the afternoon and cocktails or wine with hors d'ouvres in the Above and Beyond Lounge on the 28th floor.

We had a choice of having breakfast in the Market downstairs or the Lounge. We tried The Market once, found it to be crowded and noisy and a little understaffed so we went daily to the Lounge for breakfast. It was perfect. Great food. Good service. Gorgeous views.

Our room was very attractive. Lots of light. Nice Nespresso machine. Well equipped desk. Semi-circular seating for watching the flatscreen TV, a standing iPod holder and a good music system. The closet in the bedroom, however, was large but only had 3 drawers so we emptied the drawers in the living room which gave us plenty of places to put our stuff. No one wants to live out of a suitcase for 12 days if you can help it. We called Housekeeping for more hangers, and we were all set.

Having that second bathroom was a Godsend. I'm a night owl, the opposite of my husband, and I didn't have to wake him up when I cranked up my electric tooth brush. The bathroom in the bedroom has no door to the vanity area.

Our bed was very comfortable. So were the pillows. But get this---if you're not comfortable, if you don't like your mattress or your pillows, they will replace them with ones more suited to your taste. How's THAT for service!

Speaking of service, this is a teaching hotel, affiliated with the School of Hotel and Tourism Management, part of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University so its well staffed with service people, eager to please.

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Icon. We've stayed at many hotels all over Hong Kong, and this is our favorite. We liked the fact that its not on top of all the hustle and bustle of Tsim Sha Tsui or Central. Its a great neighborhood. Get yourself a map of the MTR and an Octopus card, and you can go almost anywhere in Hong Kong from here, easily.

P.S. I never mentioned the heated swimming pool and gym facility which were superlative, according to my husband and my grandchildren. It was a little too cold outside to swim for me, and I'm not a gym person. I did a little yoga in my room. Unfortunately, not enough...

1 Thank Panda3403
Dear Panda3403,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful impression of your stay at ICON.
The team and I thank you so much for your compliments and we send our best wishes.
Do keep in touch and let me know when you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Hotel and room look great and very pleasant to stay in. It was amazing seeing Hong Kong's beautiful skyline in the morning (our bed faced the window). Friendly staff. Excellent restaurant. The only comment I have is circumstantial - we had to stay in the hotel because of a storm. That meant eating at the hotel restaurant which is very pricey. It would have been nice for them to offer some sort of rebate - because it wasn't our choice to be there. Other than that- perfect stay!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cairon2k,
I am glad to read that all in all you had an excellent stay and your particular praise about the service is gratefully received.
I have also taken careful note of some of the details of your stay and reassure you that they will be addressed.
Please let me know personally if you are coming back and I will do my best to reserve a nice room for you.
With warm regards,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

After reading all the great reviews for this hotel my partner and I were looking very forward to our three night stay at the highly rated Hotel Icon!
Prior to our arrival we decided to upgrade our room to a club suite 65 room specifically asking for great views of the harbour and a high floor level. At arrival we were dismayed to hear that they could only accommodate to floor 17 and our room only had partial harbour view. (Even though we paid an additional amount over web pricing for the upgrade!)
The advantages to the hotel: the best cuisine at "above and beyond" with the best chef in the city, in club level rooms a beautiful breakfast is included and a special tea service once a day.
The disadvantages: although it looks to be close to everything the shuttle or a taxi to shopping and the markets is a must, keep in mind taxis are also never readily available, and the hotel has no heat! (The staff sent us a floor heater to try to warm our room.)

All in all this hotel did not meet our expectations and we will be staying elsewhere when we return to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Make sure to book a club level room or suite with a harbour view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Erin B H
Dear Erin B H,

Thank you very much for your comments. Next time you visit please be in touch so we can assign a room facing the harbour.

Incidentally the review by Panda3403 whose review is just above yours...from
Washington DC, District of Columbia, Senior Contributor - “OUR 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS, A "SUITE" EXPERIENCE!”

This guest straed in suite # 1811 the same room you did …” And speaking of views, our room (Suite 1811) had a very nice water view, full on in the bedroom, semi in the living room. On New Year's Eve, we were perfectly situated for watching the fireworks which are spectacular.”

Notwithstanding the above, I look forward hopefully to welcoming you back soon. The hotel has many different rooms and I am sure we can find your preferred one – as we do for everyone.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Had one night in Hong Kong and chose Icon because of reviews on TA and it's Kowloon location. The price was also good compared to other 5* in this city.

When checking in front desk staff informed us we've been upgraded to a suite on the 17th floor. We first booked a standard room with harbour view. I'm not accustomed to hotel suites but I've tried a few and this one was by far the most spectacular one thus far. A large livingroom with work desk (equipped with all stationary stuff you could think off), ginormous sofa and minibar (free). A guest toilet by the door. Walk in closet next to the livingroom with connection to the bathroom with separate toilet, rain shower and large tub by the windows overlooking the bay. Bedroom with comfy bed and corner view of the Hong Kong skyline. Flat screen tv's in bedroom, livingroom and by the tub. Everything in the room oozed of the future. So modern, so fresh and crisp. Simple and minimalistic design.

Unfortunately we did not have time to enjoy the room for long cause of the busy schedule during our 24 hour stay before going back to Bangkok. When checking out we could use the hotels departure lounge on the 19th floor (by the pool). Free drinks (coffee, tea, soft drinks) and use of showers. Just a great way to let people change before leaving for the airport.

Location-wise Icon was not in the thick of it but a short cab ride took you to Harbour City. Their shuttle service is also recommended.

Did not try breakfast or any of the restaurants but all staff we met we're very kind and helpful. When we come back The Icon is without a doubt our choice. Easy one of our best hotel experiences.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mozzer22
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Mozzer22,
I am extremely pleased to read that you were satisfied with your choice of hotel for your Hong Kong stay and that we at Hotel ICON provided excellent services and facilities. Our Management and staff appreciate your compliments and pleased that they were able to assure you this was an excellent choice of hotel to add to a memorable visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your future visits to Hong Kong, do feel free to contact me directly for room booking.