“Many perks - too pricey now :(”
Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #3 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Icon for business 4 times for 1 night each. Price was very decent, about 250-300 USD/night, however it is now 400-500/night ! Icon, you are good but relax...

Pro's:
- Great outdoor rooftop pool. The views are spectacular and glamorous. Clean and well-appointed changing room with choice of saunas.
- Free mini-bar! Includes beer and snacks.
- Great location for shopping and free shuttle that passes every 20 minutes to popular area.
- Service good. Not the warmest but definitely polite and knowledgable which is fine for me.
- Room is well designed, especially bathroom. It's not a huge space but they maximize on it by way of design.
- Very good bath amenities -- quite varied, i.e shower cap, buds, comb, toothbrush.
- Always got room upgrade. Love that.

Con's:
- Um, the price is crazy now. I can't return as its now out of budget. Even W Hotel is cheaper!
- Reception area is beautiful however VERY cold and uncomfortable. Went in July. Not a deal-breaker...
- Uncomfortable experience at Spa for basic massage. Was just awkward...
- Had breakfast once but a la Carte. It took 30 minutes to get a 5 minute egg. Just do the buffet if you're in a rush.

Although the PRO's definitely outweigh the Con's, unfortunately that *one* of severely increased price prevents me from returning. I know prices fluctuate for hotels, especially in HK, but it has been like this since July, it truly is a shame... I'll keep a lookout because it is a superior hotel.

Room Tip: Ask about room upgrade. All rooms seemed fine to me regardless of floor / facing side. No street noi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear ,

Thank you for sharing your views. I am confident that our pricing is at the right price point. It may be that the room type you requested was unavailable.

Dear Heart12345,

We will take your feedback on board and whilst our Angsana Spa is extremely popular and much loved I realize and regret that we did not create this wonderful memory when you visited it.

I would not wish this to be your lasting memory and should you ever wish to reach out to me personally to discuss a rate please do not hesitate to do so.

My e-mail address is general.manager@hotel-icon.com

All the team sincerely hope that you will give us another try.

With all good wishes,
Richard Hatter

Write a ReviewReviews (6,327)

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on a business trip and from the moment I walked in the door, the service was impeccable. I was greeted by my name before I even made it to the check-in counter and was promptly taken straight to my room. Room was spacious (for HK) and well appointed and loved the touch of complimentary mini bar. Also, loved the TV over the bathtub to relax.

Nice gym with great view of the harbor. The lounge in lobby was great and again, great service. I sat down and the waitress noticed I was cold and offered me a shawl!

Don't forget to try the Above and Beyond restaurant. Of all my trips to Asia, this was my favorite Chinese meal.

Great hotel, good price and fantastic service. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Gymdoll,
Thank you so much for your kind and generous review.
I send you the regards of the entire team. We wish you safe travels and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With all good wishes,

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor and their rating and cannot share the enthusiam of fellow travellers.
First, I booked 4 nights via booking.com and did not realize I had signed up for a nonrefundable deal. My fault admittedly. Due to family reasons it would have been more convenient to travel one week later, so I emailed the hotel if my booking could be ammended. No luck there!
So we ended travelling on the intended date only to find our flight cancelled due the recent typhoon, which made us arrive one day late in HK. Of course, there was also no regard or understanding from the hotel management, when I brought up the issue of a refund due to the missed night (yes, I told them 24 hours before that we would not arrive in HK until a day later). I felt ripped off quite frankly and any decent hotel would have been forthcoming in some way or the other.
We had booked a harbour view room but I would call it "if you bend your neck harbour view" and is a misrepresentation. I brought this to the attention to the front desk but again, no understanding or forthcoming.
Overall it is a nice, clean hotel, but certainly not superb. The room design is beautiful and the bathrooms are simply stunning. Beds are comfortable and we slept well. Facilities and overall decor is nice. The pool, sunterrace and gym facilites are average. And the advertised free mini bar a joke, two cans of beer and a few soft drinks. Our room came with breakfast buffet, which was a mixed bag, some nice things.
Location was ok, but not ideal and a bit off track and the walk to the station proved to be annoying in the end, especially in the heat.

Overall, I think this hotel is overpriced and lacks the sophisticated feel of similar priced hotels. Customer care is severly lacking. At AU$380 a night, I expect more. I regretted not checking into the Langham. No repeat customer here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Elisabeth D
Radhatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Elizabeth D,

Thank you for your comments here on Tripadvisor, You booked and paid for a special rate package with Booking.com, and as part of the reservation agreement, you accepted that the room under no circumstances could be cancelled, amended or refunded.

Our team attempted to minimize your loss by trying to re-sell your room to a third party. Regretfully, we did not succeed to sell your room to anybody else. Consequently, we are unable to make any refund.

We are more than willing to assist you with this in any way that we can, however when booking through a third party, we have limited control of their booking and refund process.

Please contact me to discuss this further. I hope that you will consider staying at our hotel if you return to Hong Kong and I will do my best to extend an upgrade and handle your booking personally.

Lessons to be learned:
It’s always best always best book directly with the hotel. Most third party rates are non-refundable unless you get trip cancellation insurance, you have to understand that you may lose out on that money if for whatever reason you cancel or no show.

We tell people to check the prices/special offers on our hotel's official website, because, like ours you will find good offers and also we are willing to match the rate and we could have probably have worked something out.

So, it’s best to always research the booking policy if you choose to book through an OTA.
Once again thank you for all your suggestions and feedback.

Regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2013

we had missed our flight to Durban south africa and needed somewhere to stay. although it was just for one night it was excellent !
the rooms are very chic and cool.
the staff are uber friendly and helpful.
located in thim sha shui which is very central.
the timeless lounge on the 9th floor is excellent because its free even after you have checked out and waiting for your flight you can lounge around and have tea or coffee.

next time im in hong kong ill definately be booking in for longer !!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear zaheer c,
Thank you for choosing Hotel ICON for your visit. Your kind words regarding our team, and everything during your stay lets us know that this ethos has led us to meet your high expectations.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review and sharing your experience of us with the online travelling community. We appreciate it.
We very much look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2013

It was our first experience with Hong Kong hotel and Hong Kong itself. We chose the ICON hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and here's our experience.

We booked limousine tansfer from and to the airport. At the arrival hall nobody met us, and we had to find the counter ourselves (one point for Langham Place Hotel). Hotel doesn't have personal counter (one more point for Langham). We were greeted and guy showed us the way to parking lot.

We booked Club room with harbour view, so we had personal check in. Lady met us at the ground floor, gave us warm welcome and escorted to the room. She showed us around, gave us map of Hong Kong and marked important places which was very useful.

The room was very big, we really liked it. Large living room, desk with necessary stuff, god bedroom, WIFI is better than in Langham. Worth paying for.

Chose Market for breakfast and Above & Beyond for dinner. Good wine there.

There were only two issues: we ordered a lunch box because we were leaving early in the morning, buy a guy at front desk forgot to give it to us. So we had to go back luckily we hadn't drove off yet. Second our bill was given to us just as folded paper without an envelope - most common practice around respectable hotels. Actually it was first time I recieved a bill in a way like that.

Room Tip: Club 38 with harbour view unless you can afford to pay more
1  Thank SurfRyder
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear SurfRyder,
Thank you for your review; we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us here at Hotel ICON with the online travelling community. We were pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality.
I have also taken careful note of some of the details of your stay and reassure you that they will be addressed.
We look forward to welcoming you very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've struggled to find anything that didn't work for me with this hotel, it was that good. The only thing I can come up with is that the hairdryer could have been better quality! The hotel is beautiful and well-designed - not only does it look good but things work well - the space, the services, plugs and mirrors where you need them, etc. - and the staff are incredibly friendly and professional. Also, wonderful to have a complimentary mini bar of soft drinks and snacks. We ate in two of the bars/restaurants and the food was very good. All round, an amazing hotel that exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: Book a harbour view, sit back and enjoy it morning and night.

Dear Louise N,
Thank you so much for giving us such candid feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I have taken careful note of your comment and reassure you that it will be addressed.
We hope we see you again at the hotel soon and do let me know if I can help with future stays.
Kind regards,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We ended our honeymoon with a HK 2 day stay. Without question, the Hotel Icon was the best place we could have chosen. Immaculate, up to the minute room, amazing bed (voted as best bed by miles of our month long trip!). Lovely white fresh linen and top the bed off with beautiful pillows (all too often a neglected detail in my opinion) superb bathroom and fluffy white towels....
Now, there's also a crazy view (27 th floor) even enjoyed from the pool where we relaxed far from the bustling streets below. In a great central position, close to subway, taxis at the doorstep (very cheap to use cabs in HK) Our trip had been one month in Europe and was missing my good breakfasts, almost inhaled the buffet it was so good! We took a room package that included b/fast, very well worth it. Last night we ate in The Market (where breaky is taken) and had their dinner buffet, fantastic array of food, seems a bit pricey but its not chep to eat anywhere in HK.
Last but not least, excellent staff and service always makes for a brilliant stay, many thanks to staff and management. Ps, free mini bar! Can u believe it?

Room Tip: We stayed in the 27 th floor facing the river, gorgeous!

Dear Kerry F,
Thank you very much indeed for your terrific review.
So happy we exceeded your honeymoon expectations in every possible way. My team and I do and look forward to welcoming you both again next time, please don't hesitate to get in touch to make a booking.
With warm regards,