“An outstanding contemporary hotel of style, substance & superior service”
Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #5 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Ballarat, Australia
“An outstanding contemporary hotel of style, substance & superior service”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Hotel Icon is, without question, one of the very best hotels I've had the pleasure of staying in, over my past 15 years of business and personal travel globally. I put it right up there with The Hudson in NYC, but actually it's a whole lot better than that: much more spacious, far superior service, carefully appointed and 1,000 times cleaner and more considerate of guests in almost every way...
The focus is wholly on customer service and all staff deliver on this commitment (except in the area of beverage service). All staff were attentive, charming and flawless frankly, but the stand-out individual for us was 'Cody' on concierge. He was friendly, helpful, upbeat, respectful, knowledgeable and just perfectly helpful.
This is a hotel and educational enterprise that sets the bar very high, and shows all of us how it should be done. We loved every moment. Its sophistication is heavenly, as is the discretion and polish. Room service here is the best quality food I've ever experienced in all my years of hotel stays (and 5 star industry experience). You can order the very best from the in-room dining menu and they do not drop the standard at all - I applaud them for this, and have waited 15 years to experience this sort of quality continuity. We also dined at the ground floor restaurant and the design of that space is a knock-out. So hip, yet still welcoming and comfortable. Exquisite food.
Our room and view was to die for - The interior design and appointments are hip and contemporary with a warm and personalised feel. I loved the bathroom so much, I’d like to recreate it at home one day: it was a dream. The King sized bed was soft and lovely and there was plenty of room for the 3 of us (my hub, myself and our daughter). The leather chair by the window was a fave spot for my husband to sit and relax. There was ample room for all our luggage and purchases to be laid out and inspected too.The pool, bar and gym on the 9th floor are divine. The whole place is a sanctuary.
The location is fine – The courtesy mini-bus leaves every 20 mins on the dot and efficiently whizzes you about on a loop to TST station and Harbour City. It’s so easy and pleasant to wait for the return pick up at the end of a day of sight-seeing. Taxi fairs to the Kowloon night markets nearby are very cheap, and we would highly recommend Hotel Icon. We can’t imagine why you’d want to stay anywhere else, unless you specifically wanted to stay on HK Island, of course.
The only big weak spot is beverage service. The rant I'm about to go on here is put forth with good intention. While I recognise that this is a training hotel, they really do need to lift their game in the critical area of bevvie service. So, here I go...
When we had dinner on The (absolutely gorgeous) Green, having just arrived, happy but highly jet-lagged, I was made to feel 'weird' for asking for a glass of wine with my meal, and thereafter they simply forgot all about my wine order. So well after my meal arrived I had to hassle politely for the wine. I wondered if there was something implicitly wrong or taboo about asking for a glass of wine. Their behaviour around the topic of wine was really odd. It eventually arrived, after I'd finished my meal (and I'd waited so long for it that my meal went cold in the meantime), so then I was stuck with a very small quantity of wine (by Australian glass size standards) that I'd paid AUD$11 for, and my daughter and myself just wanted to go to bed. If this sort of slackness occurred in an Australian restaurant we would not have been charged for the insanely late and therefore irrelevant glass of wine. I still feel they should have removed it from our bill. They obviously knew they'd done wrong, as they gave me a feedback form to fill in - after a 9.5 hour flight and about 3 hours commuting either side, with a child, I really did not feel like filling out a feedback form, but when I did, they still had the opportunity to offer me that irrelevant and tiny glass of standard wine gratis, but did not.
When I ordered a glass of red wine with room service the following night, they made the decision to switch my choice to a white wine without consultation, and then when I queried this they informed me that as I had a fish based meal I really should have ordered a white wine. Excuse me? Who is the customer here? How knowledgeable do you assume that I am not? I know my own tastes and needs, especially given that my husband is a fine wine professional. How dare staff decide to switch my drink and then charge me for it? Difficult situation, but I decided to accept it as I was weary from a day of sight-seeing, and did not want to ruin what should otherwise have been a lovely relaxed ‘in room’ meal after a long day out.
Another annoying slow bevvie experience occurred on our last afternoon, prior to leaving for the airport, which caused us a bit of anxiety. We thought the idea was to chill out before heading off to the airport. It took the staff 35 minutes (no kidding!) to make our 3 drinks (for 3 people), yet there was no-one else in the pool side or bar area at all. The beverage service and capacity at Hotel Icon is sub-standard and stands in stark contrast to every other aspect of the hotel staff conduct, which is outstanding in ALL other areas. I began to think that maybe the hotel management and supporting school actually disapprove of alcoholic bev service - Can that be true? So bizarre... In most cases, the biggest profit margins are in bev service, but here it is definitely the lowest priority. I even began to wonder if there was some cultural norm we were breaking by even requesting a drink from the menu - Very 'Twilight Zone'.
That BIG hospitality blunder aside, it is still a great place to stay. Were it not for this inexplicable objection they have to delivering a simple drink order to a stone cold sober adult customer, I would like to say that in all other respects this is the most gorgeous hotel we've ever stayed in. I guess this whole thing illustrates that there's no such thing as a perfect place to stay - Alas.

Room Tip: We had a Harbour 36 which I had anticipated would be much smaller than it was. In fact it was very g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear MissDebonair,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay and share your experience with the online travelling community. We were thrilled you chose to stay with us here at Hotel ICON with your daughter and welcome you as our guests.

We are continuously striving to offer a personal service that each of our guests feels at home whilst staying with us, and so it was truly a pleasure to read your feedback. We believe that a memorable experience starts with a team that is dedicated to doing all we can to enhance your time with us. Your kind words regarding our team, and everything during your stay lets us know that this ethos has led us to meet your high expectations.
Should you be returning one of our team here would be delighted to provide a bottle of wine with my compliments !
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Richard Hatter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,583)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Quick check-in, friendly and helpful staff, nice furbished room, distinguished design bathroom, super nice view from the room and from the outside, heated swimming pool as well. The food was really good, breakfast is outstanding and should not be missed. Location is the only negative for walkers, but you can easily get a taxi or use the shuttle bus between the hotel and downtown.
Really enjoyed staying here, I will definitely choose them next time as well.

Dear bankutizita,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel ICON. We were thrilled to welcome you as our guest. It was such a pleasure to read that you were so impressed with our team during your time in Hong Kong. We continuously strive to create a truly memorable experience for you, our guest. Your kind words let us know we are succeeding, so from all of us thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the travelling community.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful 5 night stay in Hong Kong and through research on TA and my company, we concluded that the Hotel ICON was right for us. Indeed it was.

First, the location cannot be beat if you are staying in Kowloon. One could walk to the Avenue of the Star which is approx. 10 minutes away by foot or there is a shuttle that runs from the hotel every 20 minutes with stops at the Peninsula hotel (embark to the Ave. of Stars) or to the 5 minutes walk from the ferry terminals. This made traveling to the main departure points a breeze.

The property itself was superb. The lobby is very open and contains a huge living wall which was always nice to walk into. The rooms (we stayed in a Icon 36 room with Harbor and City view). The entire Hong Kong Island side with its plethora of illuminated skyscrapers was impressive.

The room itself was large for a major city hotel and the bathroom contained one of the best rainfall showers we have come across. The bed was comfortable and the layout of the furniture was very minimal with a Karuselli chair that looked out of the floor to ceiling windows.

Additionally, the mini bar was included and refilled everyday...

For dining options, we had a few of our breakfasts in the hotel restaurant, the Market with its variety of western and Asian options. A fresh Dim Sum station was available as well as a noodle soup station serving udon, ramen and the such. If we were looking for something outside of the hotel, there is a numerous amount of restaurants across the street in the New Madarin Plaza complex.

All in all, it all wrapped together because of the staff. As this serves as a business hotel, there were a lot of guests that were here on business and although the hotel felt as if it was near full capacity, the service of the staff members never lost its fluidity.

Highly recommend if you are looking for a centrally located, nicely designed business hotel that has a welcoming staff with style to spare.

A definite recommendent

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NXNW1214,

Thank you for choosing Hotel ICON for your five night stay in Hong Kong with your wife.. We were delighted to welcome you all as our guests.

We strive to create a welcoming haven for any traveller; whether you are here for business or leisure your kind review lets us know we are succeeding in our efforts. We believe that the first step in creating a memorable experience is a team that truly cares for your comfort. It was a pleasure to read you thought so highly of us.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

London
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Icon for three nights as part of our Asia trip. After booking at first a more expensive hotel, we found the Icon and booked it instead. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who upgraded us complimentary (I mentioned during the booking process that we celebrated our anniversary) to a higher room category, which was lovely. The room was spacious with a fabulous bathroom including tub and super cool curved rain-shower. The wifi and the Minibar was complimentary which in case of the Minibar I've never experienced before and added a nice touch. Everything was thought through in the room and made the stay very comfortable. We also had dinner at the "above and beyond" restaurant, which was very nice. I pre-arranged a cake and that was delivered as hoped for. Overall I can strongly recommend this property to anyone who visits HK and it's not too far from underground or ferry to get around town. It's also refreshing to see bell staff wearing relaxed uniforms, it added to the cool. Thumbs up!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Chris2041,

Thank you for contacting us directly to make your booking, this way we can tailor make a bespoke experience for you rather than booking 'on-line' though a third party. We are so happy that you decided to choose Hotel ICON over a more pricey alternative for your visit to Hong Kong and for this important anniversary.

We are always delighted couples on special occasions an in particular to welcome you both as our 'special occassion' guests.

We are dedicated to creating a retreat; whether you are here for business or leisure, your kind words regarding our team, the décor and everything during your stay lets us know that this ethos has led us to meet your high expectations.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review and sharing your experience of us with the online travelling community. We appreciate it.

We very much look forward to your next anniversary visit,

Kind regards

Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a modern, comfortable hotel in the heart of Tsim Sha Shui, which for me is perfect. The rooms are not huge, but its amazing how much they can get in there without it feeling cramped, the design of the bathroom is simply brilliant.
There is a good choice of eating and drinking options in the hotel, but just outside the door there are many more options too. You simply cannot go hungry in this area.
Oh, BTW, the mini bar is free!
This is a beautifully designed hotel, in a great area, with great food options, great rooms and views and superb service. I will return!

Dear swagman6111,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We were so pleased to read that our ergonomic room design and so many wonderful restaurants was such an asset during your time with us.

We really appreciate your kind words regarding our team. We are dedicated to delivering a discreet yet personal service which represents excellent value at all times, your comments serve as a real motivator and confirmation that we are reaching our aims.

We hope you will think of us again should you be returning to Hong Kong or recommending an hotel to your friends, by all means ask them to contact me direcltly so that I can arrange a few niceities.
general.manager@hotel-icon.com

Elmley Castle, England
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was only there one night. On arrival was upgraded to a harbour view room and the room itself was great. Large and very well equipped, free wifi and mini bar, great bathroom. Be warned though the harbour view is not what you may expect, it was free for me but had I paid extra I would have been dissapointed. The hotel is right at the end of Tsimshatsui East, so you dont look over the lights of Hong Kong, but the the habour tunnel entrance and and array of building sites with the harbour as a backdrop.. Also be aware all around the hotel the streets are very congested with tour busses dropping off and collecting mainland chineses tourists during the day, so you have to fight your way through a bit. Still once inside its a great hotel with freindly and very efficient service. The market buffet restaurant is very busy but the buffet is excellent. My room number was in room number 2610

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radhatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear tomtom333,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

ireland
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon - we had suite club 80 and it was fantastic. The staff, room and restaurants were amazing. The shuttle bus into the city centre was great and the staff were very helpful. The view from our room was fantastic and we watched the light show from there on the 1st night. Would definitely recommend and suggest this hotel.

Stayed April 2013
Dear neddy,

Thank you very much for choosing Claridge’s for your honeymoon in Hong Kong. We are so pleased that you both took some lasting memories home and hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

With all good wishes,