“Hotel Icon....Awesome”

Ranked #4 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
“Hotel Icon....Awesome”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here for three nights and it is one of the best hotels we have stayed at. Big modern rooms.....very friendly staff....free shuttle bus....great food and service. Will only stay here when in HK...Ten out of Ten Hotel Icon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Radhatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear JMartin270,

Thank you so much for your very kind review which I know the team will receive most gratefully. With all good wishes,
Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,502)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2013

While the property itself seemed a bit dated, what really set this hotel apart was the excellent service. From the moment we walked in, the front desk was exceptionally helpful and kind in assisting us through the check-in process.

But Carlos, our concierge, truly went above and beyond to help us, and I've yet to meet another concierge at any property that understood my requests so well. My wife and I were looking for a very particular type of restaurant, and we did a pretty poor job of describing what we wanted. Nevertheless, Carlos understood and pointed us to the best meal that we had during our entire time in Hong Kong.

In addition to Carlos, I felt that the entire staff really went out of their way to be helpful, and I will definitely be staying here the next time I come to Hong Kong.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dietboost,

Many thanks for the feedback. Carlos and the team at concierge was delighted to know you had mentioned his name.

May I please ask you to reach out to me by email with more details about your impression of the hotel feeling 'dated'.

In the meantime, I wish you safe travels,

With all good wishes,

richard.hatter@hotel-icon.com
europe
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I booked this hotel in november while traveling end march only
apperently the hotel was not full and they were offering the rooms at same rate but incl
breakfast , while I booked without breakfast. I informed them by email and after insisting they
upgrade me to club-floor incl breakfast.
The rooms and specially the showers are GREAT
The outside pool was open.,with warm water and I had a delicious lunch at the poolside

Room Tip: worth wile to pay extra for harbour view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Radhatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear jhonnyhome

We are all very happy to hear that your stay was special and thanks very much indeed for the wonderful review.
Hope to see you again soon.

With best wishes,

Canberra
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I booked the Hotel Icon for my stay over the Easter Holiday period after reading the rave revues on Trip Advisor. I had an Icon Harbour View Room (1119). My thoughts? Too be honest, I am really not sure why the hotel rates as highly as it does on Trip Advisor. In my opinion it’s an expensive solid quality four-star hotel, in fact it costs as much as a five-star hotel. It’s a very modern design with unremarkable rooms and an equally unimpressive lobby. Perhaps I didn’t do my homework properly; it was simply too modern and trendy for me.

The positives?

Big comfortable beds; gym with a great view, nice swimming pool also with commanding views of Hong Kong Island. The restaurant on the ground floor is great value for money; a friend and I had a meal, which was not much more than 500 Hong Kong Dollars for the two of us. The Icon’s staff were very friendly and obliging and the WiFi always worked well. The chef made great breakfast omelets.

What didn’t I like?

The rooms were soulless and didn’t have a lot of character. The lifts also drove me mad. For access to the rooms you must swipe your room key in the lift. The swipe is not clear at first sight and is at an awkward height. I found on a few occasions I had to swipe several times before it would lock in my floor number. The lifts were also always very busy and it was not uncommon to wait an extended length of time to catch a lift. One evening I had the buffet dinner in the Market Restaurant and was horrified by the price, over 700 Hong Kong Dollars for one person. I only realised what it cost after I sat down. The buffet did have a good selection, but I was clearly paying for expensive food such as seafood that I don’t eat. They also charged me 64 Hong Kong Dollars for a bottle of water, which is a complete rip-off. As it was Easter there were many families with screaming kids everywhere. Had I known it was going to be so expensive, I would have gone back to the restaurant on the ground floor, which I was quite happy with. The free in room minibar is simply a gimmick, there’s not a lot in the minibar and it was only restocked once during my three-night stay.

Overall the hotel was OK, but I am surprised the Icon is so highly rated on Trip Advisor. Would I stay here again? Perhaps not, I’ve stayed previously at the Intercontinental Kowloon and that’s a better option for nearly the same money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AllanCanberra
Dear AllanCanberra

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel ICON. As an establishment who strives to exceed each and every one of our guest’s expectations we are sorry that on this occasion we have not fulfilled your requirements.

You specifically commented on our hotel room design and atmosphere. As I am sure you can appreciate, architecture and interior design will be perceived differently by each and every individual who encounters it.

Our decor is contemporary and bespoke and although that may not be suited to your personal taste, the majority of our guests choose to stay at our hotel for the interior design alone.

Our website is very visual in showing our guests exactly what each space looks like in order to help them to make an informed choice.

It is unfortunate that you found our restaurants busy and expensive, but the price is very reasonable by Hong Kong standards which is why they were full. However the staff's choice of table allocation away from families might have been better and we have taken your views into consideration and have briefed them accordingly.

We appreciate any feedback from our customers, so we are unsure as to why you did not approach any of the management team regarding your dissatisfaction I am sure we could have sorted out a few issues. We cannot deal with any problems if they are not brought to our attention. We would have been more than happy to deal with these issues had they been mentioned.

We have never said that we are five star we say we are 'upscale' and our room tarif prices are considerably less than a Five star hotel.

Allan, we value your custom and are sorry that you felt a disservice from us on this occasion.
All of your points have been taken into account and we will address each one of them.

Thank you for your feedback. Hope to see you again soon and, next time do contact me first to handle the arrangements, and let's have lunch together.
With warm regards,

Hotel ICON
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Of all the hotels that we have stayed, this hotel was one of the best. We have stayed at 3 different hotels and one cruise ship during this trip to Viet Nam and Hong Kong.
Pros.
Great location. Free shuttle bus to Peninsula hotel and harbour city where all shops and restaurants are. My wife and I took the shuttle bus there and walked back to the hotel. Only take about 20 minutes walk. A lot of shops such as clothing stores, restaurants, high end Hermes, Chanel, LV, etc., jewellery stores along the way so the walk was very nice. The whole area was like a big giant shopping mall stressing for multiple blocks and the the habor city view is ver nice st night. Close to MTR and subway. We learned that subway in Hong Kong means walking under ground. Silly us from the US THINKING it was by train. MTR IS a train. It is very easy to use. Hong Kong people are very friendly and helpful. Sometimes, we stop and asked for directions, and most people speak English very well. You can also take a taxi for about $ 3 us. Most taxi drivers are very nice. I felt ribbed off from the taxi guy taking us to the airport from the hotel. The meter showed 208+ and I gave him $500 bill in Hong Kong money and he gave me $200 back in change. He was helping putting the luggages on the trolley so he probably felt h deserved a big tip. I would have preferred getting the correct change and tip him myself but we were short on time so I didn't bother. A lot of people walk the streets around the areas from the hotel to the shopping areas so we felt very safe.
Great Concierge service. You can ask them where to go or places to eat. They gave us excellent recommendations. Try the street Market at night. Very fun. they have crabs, and seafood there. We noticed a lot of tourists there. Similar to street market in Viet Nam at night time. Cheap souvenir. Make sure you bargain. Major mark up.
Great and speedy service if you need something from your room. They brought us mutliple water bottles right away at no extra charges at different times. We felt really bad calling them. I was drinking a lot o water one night because I had an allergic reaction from something I ate outside of the hotel. Free mini bar. Brought us a transformer for our iPhones and iPads. Wow! Staffs Always smile and so polite and someone always stand near the elevator as u get out and say hi.
Great bed and bed sheets.
Great toiletries. They have everything you need. Great shower, very clean, tv at the tub was nice. Have safe and need key to access your floor so very safe.
We did not use the pool or spa or gym so can't comment. Did see a few people working out. The view looks decent during the over cast day.
Buffet was great to us because we were into chinese food on this trip. Nice dimsum. Western and Asian buffets. Great croissants: almonds, chocolate, plain. Great variety of baguettes. Tipical western buffet such as bacon, eggs French toast, omelette, salmons. Great Japanese selections as well. Also had falafel and humus. Fruits were great but wish there were some papayas. Overall, we were very happy.
There were fruits on our dresser when we checked in. Only one other hotel did that for us during this trip or any other trips.
We have traveled to many different countries and stayed at many different hotels and I have to say that this hotel offers the best values for your money, and no money can substitute the smiles and the willingness of the staffs to do whatever it takes to make your stay a pleasant one. Thank you again. And we had already recommended our aunt to stay here on her next trip to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Depend on whether or not you are going stay in your room a lot or not. We didn't so we figured w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear funtravel4210,

Wow the Team and I are really very delighted with your incredibly detailed and complimentary review.

Of course these reviews are of great benefit to other travelers and in particular when they are from world travelers like yourselves who obviously have impeccable taste and understand upscale service and design.

Thanks again and do please contact me personally and I will be happy to handle the arrangements for your next visit.

With Best wishes,

With warm regards,

Richard Hatter F.I.H.
General Manager & Adjunct Associate Professor | Hotel ICON
Hotel ICON - Hong Kong

richard.hatter@hotel-icon.com
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Congratulations Hotel Icon your service is second to none. We Four are staying at icon and we are all impressed beautiful hotel rooms and the most comfortable beds stylish well equipped bathroom fantastic views of the harbour from our rooms the shuttle bus is an excellent service running every 20 minutes to the Center of town you couldn't ask for more highly recommend this hotel to any one

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John H
Dear John H

Thanks very much indeed for the excellent feedbcak.
We strive to make your memories special over easter.

With all good wishes,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for our 10 year weeding anniversary in February. We paid extra for the limo service & were picked up promptly from the airport then personally greeted at the hotel & taken directly to our room for in-room check-in. We were also given a full description of the hotel services & also given tourist information & brochures. Staff were attentive, turn down service at night, bed made in the morning, continuous restocking of bar fridge, delicious breakfast. Both ,y husband & I have nothing but the best things to say about the staff & the hotel itself. Make sure you have evening cocktail drinks & give afternoon tea a try - the views are to die for!!

Room Tip: Club 38 Harbour View - very spacious room, comfortable bed, fantastic harbour views, allows you to g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vicken142
Amazing review many thanks the team will be really delighted.
I will be happy to personally handle your future stays.
Please contact me in person.