“Not queue-worthy, buy fish skin instead!”
Review of Jenny Bakery - CLOSED

Jenny Bakery
Type:
More attraction details
Owner description: Moved to new location
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

It was the most un-Hong-Kong thing I've ever heard of. Wife biscuits, Wontons, Fish skin crisps, Yes! Butter cookies? Hmmm. So we decided to check it out. There were no queues! Amazed, we dashed into the shop. The winter sun had just set and the cookies have already run out. Only cranberry nougats left. (They're better than the cookies by the way). Two extremely sullen young ladies were at the counter. They answered in monosyllables even when we spoke in Cantonese. Can we place an order? Nope. Can we sample the cranberry nougats? Nope. What are the other varieties available? They pointed sullenly to the chart behind them. I'm not coming back I declared. My fellow traveller however did the next day and queued for a full 30mins. Her friend returned three weeks later and queued for three and half hours!! Verdict? They taste like freshly baked cookies do. No big deal. Yes those with nuts tasted of freshly toasted nuts and the coffee flavoured ones were fragrant but certainly not addictive and certainly not queue-worthy. Don't bother if you see a long line. You would do better to stroll along the streets and buying up big bags of deep fried crispy fish skin.

5  Thank ShirleyGoh55

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The cookies are delicious!!!

When I reached the shop, the lady told me to queue outside the TST MRT to wait for the turn to get the "ticket" before I can enter the shop to buy the cookies. It was quite long queue. The lady from the shop will come out to give each of us a pink ticket as a "pass" to enter the shop. When we entered the shop, we need to queue again to place our order.

I bought 3 small 4 mix and 1 big 4 mix. On the day, 8 mix was not available. The small 4 mix is HKD65, big 4 mix is HKD120. Two days later, i passed by the shop about 6.30pm. It has not many buying the cookies so we can escape from queuing outside the MRT. I wanted to buy the 8 mix small. I thought the price is the same as 4 mix. It is more expensive, HKD105 small 8 mix. As my cash on hand is low, i need to reserve some for others so i decided not to buy it :(

There are "stall" selling the same Jenny Bakery cookies at Mansion Building without queuing. But the price is much more expensive.

I will go back to grab for 8 mix in my next trip to HK.

5  Thank SookWee
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Have been a great fan of jenny cookies for years... it has never failed to make me excited when i managed to find its outlets. I must be the lucky one, no q when i was at TST outlet on Monday afternoon and managed to purchase both 4mix and 8mix.

i simply love its buttery taste amd the fragrance of the coffee cookies! Hope it continues its standard forever!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went to the new Tsim Tsa Tsui store (Mirador Mansion) location. The waiting is crazy. You first need to line up to get tickets then you have to line up again, with the tickets, to actually purchase the cookies. The first lineup is outside. This lineup is not marked or organized.

These cookies are the hottest regional gift. Speciality is their butter cookies which are rich and decadent, really to die for.

However there is no one monitoring the first line up and it at times gets a tad unruly. There needs to be more staff to organize the line ups.

They also are very cheap about their bags. We purchased 10 gift cans and they said they will only give us 8 bags - made a stink and they relented.

It is not cheap - average price per tin of cookies is over 100 HKD. People were purchasing huge amounts and stuffing huge luggage full of tins.

3  Thank CanuckJames
See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I actually went to this place to do forex which gives very good rates than all those other forex along nathan, haiphong, and perpendicular roads. Before the turn towards the forex, i saw this bakery with a huge line, and a sign saying limit of 10 cans per customer.we went back a 2nd time for another round of forex, and still saw a long line! my wife and i decided to come back another time, but it would be to buy, not to do forex. When we returned, the line was still long and this time, the security guard told us the line is now at the other corner, outside the street already. On our last day in hong kong, we decided to drop by again, around 1pm, and we were surprised no one was lining up. We were able to buy several cans of 4mix, 8mix, and walnut. Macadamia cranberry was out of stock. After we finished buying, we turned around and saw over a dozen people now lining up. Talk about being lucky.

Among those we bought, it was the 4 mix that was really yummy, similar to other reviewers' comments

1  Thank al22tecc