“Simply Excellent”

Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
United Kingdom
“Simply Excellent”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was recently voted in Hong Kong's top five Oysters restaurants by Time Out, and we would certainly agree and suggest that the only other reviewer from nearly three years ago returns to see how great this place has become.

Our Oysters were fantastically fresh and the waiter advised us correctly as to the best order to go through our first and second helpings. The oysters are currently on a special offer with wine drinkers and this makes the cost considerably less than anywhere else in TST, almost half the price so I don't know where else the other reviewer is eating but certainly I would disagree with his view on the cost of good wine. We had two wonderful bottles of Sancerre and Pouilly Fume.

We managed mains of fettuccine and Barramundi. The Pasta was rich and full of flavour and the fish was perfect. I am fortunate to eat in fine restaurants across a couple of continents and I have to say that I can't remember too many better meals that this.

We were the only non locals and the restaurant was pretty much full. The local's gain is clearly the tourist's loss. My only criticism would be that the wine list is a bit short on lighter reds.

I will definitely return. Either the place has changed considerably or the other reviewer has some beef, because we had a fabulous dinner and overall experience. I am with the Time Out review team, this is a great little place.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank John F

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
“Please please don't go to this restaurant... It's spectacularly terrible!!”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

As a food lover living in HK, I would be mortified if anyone went here when there are so many wonderful options nearby.

The list of negatives is long, but here's a summary:

- The oysters are very expensive and for some reason extremely salty. I almost wonder if they are adding salt after shucking them
- The house wine is expensive and bad. About $250 hkd a bottle and you would do better in a 7-11. If you take your own they charge $200hkd corkage per bottle.
- As for the rest of the food... Forget it. Steak was fatty, poorly cooked and had no flavor. No sauces or seasoning are offered. Sausages were out of a packet. Pasta is ok but very unexceptional.
- Actually it's more of a BBQ than a restaurant. They call the dishes 'mains' but actually it's just meat. No veggies, rice, bread or anything else is available.
- The restaurant does not have any toilets. They send you two floors up into the adjacent shopping mall.

In the end a group of 10 of us spent 600 hkd each. Yes it was over 6000 hkd! And we left hungry. For that amount of money... Well enough said.

To be fair, environment sitting outside was nice. Though you are sandwiched between two buildings.

In summary, it's a scam. They try to present themselves as a fancy oyster bar but in reality it's way overpriced and has terrible food. If you want oysters, there are so many other better choices. Please don't try this one...

1 Thank Mintaka1976