“Mind the caveats”
Review of The T Hotel

The T Hotel
Ranked #9 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have to agree with all those who recommend this hotel. I didn't ask for but got a room with a harbour view. The hotel is located quite high up on the side of Hong Kong Island, so the view is breathtaking. The rooms are large and five star standard, and are immaculately maintained. The mini bar prices are not the exorbitant prices you get elsewhere.

But the caveats. First, it is out of the way. There's a former infirmary next door for Catholic priests that is now a film school, and the start of a walking track up to the Peak not far away, but apart from that, it's hop on a bus (or in a cab) to take you downtown.

Second, it's a teaching establishment. The students are keen and want to be helpful, but not yet expert in their jobs. People have pointed out that at breakfast, the coffee and tea don't always arrive as asked, and so on. When I was there, no-one seemed to be watching the buffet to if a food item was close to running out, to order some more from the kitchen. What would happen is that (say) the scrambled eggs would run out. Finally, a student would notice or be told by a guest. Then there would be a wait while the student sent word to the kitchen, the kitchen cooked a fresh batch and it was sent out. A much better system would be for a student to be keeping watch when a food item was running low, then notify the kitchen in advance to start cooking. Overall, service was reactive rather than proactive.

Second, there is not the give and take that you get with making up a room that you get in a four or five star hotel. The supervisors seemed keen to get the students making up rooms as early as possible, even while guests were still at breakfast. This happened to me, and I also saw another couple come back from breakfast only to find a team of students making up their room. In the end, I just extended the end of my breakfast with coffee and a newspaper on a lounge while the students set to work.

So those are the caveats. If you can live with them, it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Veejay497

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at T hotel & it is still great! Hotels are not cheap in Hong Kong & for HK$880 a night without breakfast, where can you find a super clean & spacious hotel with interior fittings of a 4/5 star hotel? The only downside of T hotel is their location, which I feel that taking a bus in Hong Kong is even better than their MTR! Service might be a little slow, but at least the students are sincer & are very willing to go the extra mile to help you! On the day I check out, I need a cab to the airport express station but there was an amber storm warning and there were no cabs at all. The students were so kind to help us flag a cab outside VTC building, so we will not be wet! I will certainly recommend anyone coming to Hong Kong to stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank valtripadv
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I would recommend this hotel anytime. If you are aware that the location is a bit from downtown (although it is no hassle to reach downtown with the local buses or taxis) and that it is indeed a training hotel you cant go wrong staying here. Spotless large rooms with a view to die for and very attentive staff - because of the trainees maybe sometimes too attentive :-) On my birthday the staff even sang for me, so bottom line ... I would surely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mutyacha
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We can only support all that has been said before about the quality of service and size as well as quality of the rooms. It is also a very quiet spot. So no worries for those who are sensitive to noise.
We knew it is a training place and found it only fair to spend some time letting the students do their job as they learned it. We found the hotel to be particularly good value for money for tourists who come for a longer period of time or business. The reason is that it is located a bit away from Hong Kong center. So it takes a few days to get accustomed to the local bus service, finding out which line is the fastest to the desired destination and where the stations are located in town (we recommend to use the homepage of citybus http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/ - it is the only one we found to provide all required detail information about the bus lines).
If you are tourists who stay only for a couple of days trying to see a maximum of things in a minimum of time you should consider paying more and book a room nearer to Hong Kong downtown.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fkwinter
Reviewed May 11, 2013

As it is a training hotel, I understand that the staff can't all speak English well, and they might ask you 3 times if you want a coffee before you get one, so I should have been expecting that one. But the main problem I had was that the hotel didn't really have enough facilities. It's a little way out from any of the shops, which means it has a great view, which means it would be great to stay at and just relax. But it needs a few things:
1. A movie channel (pay per view or anything, I don't care)
2. A spa with beauty/massage services (please without training people!)
3. A swimming pool/sauna/spa or any of the above

There were a lot of channels, so they do subscribe to some cable tv, but the tv guide for the channels was wrong. This made it tough for me to find the right channels, of which I think 2 or 3 were in English.

I booked 3 nights there, but it's really not the kind of place you can stay at all day, unless you bring your own book and have managed to book the ocean view room (which I understand has a great view).

The price is great for Hong Kong, the rooms are large, and some of the rooms have an amazing view, but there are a few things missing before you can call it a real hotel (not just the well trained staff).

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room if you want a decent view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ShaneUllman
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I travel around 8 weeks a year so have stayed in many hotels. The T Hotel is special as it's the first training hotel I've stayed at. I know this when I made the booking and I did read some of the reviews on tripadvisor as my research.

The hotel room is very large, well designed and convenient to use. We got the sea view as a bonus. As it's located on the south west side of the island, it was very quiet at night. We stayed four nights and used both bus and taxi to go out or come back to the hotel. There are many buses so taxi is not really necessary.

We had breakfast at the hotel for four mornings and the food is very good. There are probably too many students for training at the breakfast bar and some of them haven't got enough experience yet. So their timing is a bit off at offering your tea or coffee or cutlery, etc. But overall, it's not an issue and everyone is good natured and keen enough.

The room is very clean and bed well made. I'd prefer it better if they could put a recycle bin in each room for empty bottles and paper. There is also no need to have so much hygiene supply in the bathroom.

It was a very hot and humid day when we checked out. Edith, who was working at the lobby asked us if we'd like a bottle of water each on the road. We accepted and she rushed upstairs to get them for us and we were so touched. I've never been offered anything before after I checked out a hotel. Edith and everyone else at the T Hotel do genuinely care about you. That's what really mattered!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SongbirdMelbourne
Reviewed May 8, 2013

When I see all these other reviews with 5 star ratings and positive comments, I was expecting an amazing hotel which would be easily compared with the likes of the Conrad or the Four Seasons hotel. What I encountered was no more than a student-run training hotel way out the back of beyond of Hong Kong. The rooms were surprisingly large, with the food tasting delicious. But the students often sounded more rehearsed in their words and often did not understand English. The exterior of the Hotel building looks more like a hospital than anything. Beware, fellow reviewers, of the often over-rated reviews.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family