“Great hotel with a great value”
Review of The T Hotel

The T Hotel
Ranked #7 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Cairo, Egypt
“Great hotel with a great value”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed there as part of our honeymoon and the hotel was really great, its not at the center but its really easy to transport from and to the center. The bus stop is right in front of it. Big rooms for Hong Kong standards

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank akasmaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are fabulous and very clean. The staff are very friendly and try their best to accommodate your needs (though their English isn't the best and at times things need to be said slower or repeated - but this is to be expected as they're training) They genuinely try to impress.

We only stayed for a night, it's a little out of the way but easy to get to by bus or taxi. We spent our time on the buses and enjoyed travelling with the locals and ex-pats and it wasn't a very long journey into the city.
Overall we'd definitely stay here again - perhaps for longer next time. Good service, a super clean room that is a decent size and at a great price - what more can you ask for?!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Syd05
Indonesia
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We are family with 5 y-o toddler and 7 months baby. We're lucky that the hotel can put 4 of us together in one room (with a cot for my baby) thanks T hotel for arranging this only in less than 3 weeks booking! Communication via email was so easy and smooth, and definitely FAST! I even didn't have to make any phone calls to do the reservation, which made it comfortable since we're not Hongkong residents.

First, the bed was superb. We also stay in Disneyland Hongkong Hotel afterwards and I have to say that T-hotel bed is far more comfortable. Room was excellent. Clean, big, bathroom was very clean (with a flat TV!) and they even provide digital weight scale which I normally found only in 5stars-hotels. It's very nice to go back to this excellent comfortable room after the whole day exploring the city. Oh towels are so comfortable too! (Again comparing to the other hotels')

Second, service. Some trainees were a bit limited in english. We tried to ask some questions but after talking with 2-3 people we decided to talk directly to the supervisor. This is not a big problem for us, anyhow we are also not an English native speaker. But we found other guest was a bit annoyed with this so maybe this is something you need to consider.

Third, location. This is more into my mistake. I read all the reviews which mentioned that the location is a bit far from the city, I just didn't expect it was "that far". With limited time to explore the city and small kids travelling with us, it's a bit difficult to go back to the hotel for a quick nap and go back to the city without at least sparing 1-2 hours for all the fuss. We tried to take the bus to go to the city as suggested by other reviewers, but unfortunately it's not as easy as expected (or maybe it was just not our luck) After around 20 minutes waiting in the bus stop with windy-cold weather (we went in dec), we decided to take taxi which was not that cheap for a quick trip. Won't be a problem if you plan to go since the morning till night (particularly if you're a single traveller or travelling with friends).

Fourth, food. Breakfast was ok. A lot of choices and the greatest part was they even extended the breakfast til 10.30am, noticing us coming late with the kids. And they even let us know (even more than once) which food would be put aside first etc. Very considerate. Had dinner at the hotel and it's good. Unfortunately the in-room dining was not that great, we ordered sandwich and it came without any garnish at all, just a very plain sandwich with chips. Maybe because lack of salada etc? But nobody informed us anything about that.

Fifth, don't worry about taxi. As long you asked the card from the front desk and showed it to the taxi driver, you won't have any trouble going back to this hotel. But you really have to have that card.

Hope this review helps.

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank monikatanu
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a great place to stay in Hong Kong. It is a little out of the way but that is only an issue if you happen to arrive after 10 p.m., as we did, and have to depend on room service for dinner. There are no restaurants near by. The hotel is very new and the rooms are gorgeous with all the amenities of a five star hotel. We especially enjoyed the well equiped fitness room. There are over 200 students training at this hotel and some of them are as young as 15. Don't go there expecting polished service-these students are there to learn. What they lack in polish they make up for in eagerness. Sometimes you have to smile at their enthusiasm. I have never had my napkin refolded so many times during a meal. The breakfasts were great with an enormous selection of fresh fruits, baked goods, an egg station and just about anything else you could think of. The view from the restaurant out over the ocean was lovely. We had asked for an ocean view room when we booked six months earlier but were told on arrival that none were available. I don't know how far in advance you need to book to get an ocean view but six months ahead did not do it. The only negatives were the two evening meals we had there. The first night we ordered from room service because the dining room was closed. After a half hour wait I got a call to tell me there was no lettuce for a salad. I changed my order and half an hour after that my sandwich showed up minus the chips and garnish which I was told they had run out of too. My husband had dinner by himself one night and was really disappointed. He said the house wine was so bad he could not drink it. The appetizer resembled cardboard and the main course was just adequate. I would highly recommend the hotel but would visit one of the many wonderful restaurants in the city for dinner.
Reviewers have said the hotel is a little out of the way but the public tranportation system in Hong Kong is so good that the location is really not an issue. Buy an Octopus card at the booth in the airport as soon as you arrive . Put $200 Hong Kong dollars on it and then use it for the train from the airport, the subway, the bus, the ferries and even the food courts. It can be topped up at any Octopus desk. The bus comes by the hotel every ten minutes or so and will take you downtown to connect with subway or ferry. When you leave visit the Octopus desk again and they will return any money left on the card except for a very small administrative fee. Cabs are also readily available and very cheap.

Room Tip: Book as early as you can. This hotel is very popular.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank almonte
Shoeburyness
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here recently as a result of the Tripadvisor rating.....we weren't disappointed. Rooms are simply stunning, staff cannot do enough for you - the trainee style adds to the experience, the dining is inexpensive yet very good. On returning on our last night, we were greeted with a red carpet and all the staff in traditional oriental outfits - the trainees were clearly learning how to receive VIPs....and that included us! It is not in central HK or Kowloon, but there are multiple buses into Central or the other way to Aberdeen if you fancy something different......or cabs are under HK$100. From the airport, take the express train and then get a cab from Central.

Couldn't fault the stay at the t hotel....for about a fifth of the price of a 5 star elsewhere in HK.

Room Tip: The views over the South China Sea are breathtaking......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank patnsue
malaysia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Other hotels are hard to meet our expectation after staying in this hotel. Indeed it lives up to the number 1 rating in Tripadvisor. We were lucky that we managed to get the Ocean view room as the view through the window glass panel is breathtaking. Everything in this room is of quality. You do not need to bring any of your toiletries as everything is provided, including a loofah! The bed is extremely soft and comfy. Each night when we got back, we were greeted with a bucket of ice cubes and the room is arranged as though we were royalties. My son looked forward to the rubber toy, chocolates and cookies that the hotel provides every night.
The room service dining is fantastic. Not only is the price reasonable, the presentation is as though you are eating in a restaurant.
A word of advice to those who want to stay here. Pokfulam road is very long. So, make sure you get the phone number and the address of the hotel ready as some taxi drivers do not know this place. There is also no sign outside the building. Our taxi driver had his GPS but even with that he had trouble finding the place. So we called the hotel and ask for direction. Secondly, be prepared to take bus or taxi if you stay here. It is not difficult to take a bus here as they are many buses plying this route. Ask for the list of buses from the reception. If you want to take a taxi, the staff will walk out to hail a cab for you and they will tell the driver where to drop you.
There are so many good things to say about this hotel that I can go on and on. I will go back to Hong Kong again and it will be because of The T hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank yellowie8
Toronto, ON
Reviewed November 30, 2012

In November my wife and I brought our 1-year-old son to Hongkong. We have stayed in the T-Hotel for three nights. Unfortunately our overall experience with the hotel was only OK, but not "excellent" (as claimed by many other posters here). Here is why --

* Location * Sort of cast away in the southwestern part of the Hongkong island, a hilly area occasionally reminding you of what Hongkong might look like many decades ago. A cab ride from the airport takes 40 minutes and sets you back HKD350 (including HKD60 for taking the Western Harbour Tunnel); also available is airport bus A10, get off at the Pok Fu Lam Village stop (HKD48 one-way), from there it's a five-minute slightly uphill walk to the hotel. A bus ride to Central takes about 15~20 minutes. By the way, the actual hotel is located on the sixth floor (or maybe the seventh, depending on how you count them) of the Chinese Cuisine Training Institute (CCTI or in Chinese 中華廚藝學院) building. Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0.

* Facilities * The reception, located in the lobby on the ground floor, appeared some kind of make-shift setting, though the lobby itself well decorated and appeared nice. Sizeable (250~350 sqf or about 30 sqm) and well-appointed rooms. Our bathroom came with a separate tub from the shower cabin. A small LCD TV set mounted on the wall above the tub ensures no miss on news or shows while enjoying a bath. Lights can be controlled through a wireless panel on your night stand. Free in-room Wi-Fi, also available was a mini Panasonic stereo. Didn't try the gym, while the business center was small yet functional. Two minor complaints during our stay: 1) Quite large gaps (about half an inch or near 1.5 cm) between the shower door and the walls, frequently causing water leakages on the bathroom floor. 2) The hair dryer blew either too hot or too cold, had a hard time for both my wife and the baby. Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0.

* Dining * Tried the breakfast only. The breakfast had a medium-sized spread, choices including both Chinese (rice congee, fried noodles, preserved-vegetable buns, etc) and Western (bacon, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, hash browns, cook-to-order omelet, etc.). Add on top was the run-of-the-mill stuff like cereals, bakery, salads, cheeses and fresh fruits. No Cantonese-styled dim sum, though. Quality-wise all reasonable, though nothing to write home about. Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0.

* Service * Many folks here have posted a great deal of glaring words about the hotel. However, I want to apologize to everyone first before I beg to differ somehow. Service is probably the area which has set the T-Hotel apart from many other hotels but also clearly shown that, compared to a real four- or five-star hotel, it’s still got quite some room to catch up. As mentioned by some peer travelers, there are usually several trainees on duty/in training at the same time, so you will find yourself frequently being escorted and served by a group of bodies. The enthusiasm was obvious, so was the positive attitude; but from time to time we have found that the skills, especially the professional manners, due diligence and the language skills, were the part missing, critically.
Example 1: Our evening flight arrived at Hongkong at eight something. By the time we got to the hotel it was late at night (around 10:30) and we had two tired adults carrying a sleeping baby. After checking in, a group of five or six trainees escorted us to our room and insisted that we be shown around everything. The whole show took about 15~20 minutes while my wife hiding in the hallway just so the baby able to sleep uninterrupted. I understood that this was a part of the standard training process for the trainees, however only wished they could have been a little bit more considerate and maybe flexible given the time and situation.
Example 2: In the very morning following our arrival, at shortly after eight we woke up to some persistent yet increasingly heavy knocking on our door. I rushed to the door, only to realize that it was some trainee there asking us if any laundry for him to pick up. Oh well, I’m sure he all meant well but…*sigh* With the baby awakened, my wife was certainly not impressed, needless to say.
Example 3: As my wife was on a special diet plan, she had to bring some her own food with her when going to breakfast. Ten minutes into the meal, while she went to pour herself some juice, a waiter came to the table, not consulting anyone, simply and swiftly wrapped up her personal food, along with other garbage, and sent straight to the trash bin. This time we were not only unimpressed but actually shocked.
Example 4: As traveling with a baby, upon check-in we’ve requested a late check-out, which was granted on the spot. Then on the following day, just to be on the safe side, I went to the reception to double-check with the manager on-duty, who quickly re-assured me again. On the check-out day, someone came to knock on our door at 10:30 am, and once again, in a VERY heavy and hasty manner. Upon opening the door, I was “greeted” by three trainees, “Sorry, are you ready to check out?” Speechless was probably the best word to describe myself of that moment.
Example 5: One night, around nine, we happened to run out of drinking water entirely (even those in our mini-bar). We thought we might just ask some more from the hotel as opposed to going out to find a convenient store. So I called the reception asking for two bottles of water. Ten minutes passed, nothing happened. So I had to call again. Another ten minutes, finally a lady trainee came with two bottles of water. Anyway, once again I managed to keep the unease to myself.
Example 6: We needed to print a copy of our flight boarding pass on the day we were leaving. I explained it (in both English and Cantonese, even though a bit broken) to the lady working in the Business Centre and requested a regular black-white printout. She nonetheless still sent the file to the colour printer, which made no sense but only cost us extra money. The few extra bucks would certainly not break us one way or the other, but the lack of professionalism and diligence was unacceptable.

Many of the hotel staff were indeed professional and dedicated, or at least tried very hard to be so, and I have never doubted that for a second, nor wanted to take anything away from their hard work. Meanwhile, I however still need to point out the issues we’ve encountered during the stay. The fact is, positive attitude and great enthusiasm alone neither mean nor necessarily guarantee high standard of service. Those people on this forum who might have drawn an equal sign between the two risks being emotionally charged therefore potentially misleading other fellow travelers. That said, at least based on my personal experience and in my humble opinion, contrary to what some of the other posters have claimed here, I consider the T-Hotel being only a training hotel with a focus on providing the students with an opportunity to practice what they have learned in the classroom; it is however definitely NOT a four- or five-star operation, at least not in terms of the inconsistent service standard demonstrated by some of the trainee staff during our stay. Rating: 3.0 out 5.0.

Overall our stay at the T-Hotel was an acceptable experience, with the highlights being the nice room and ocean view and tranquil setting while lowlights due largely to the sub-par services provided by some of the trainee staff. It probably remains as an option for us in future visits to Hongkong, however we'll for sure look beyond it as well. And for fellow travelers, I will recommend this hotel but not without reservation. And in my humble opinion, it’d probably best suit single travelers and/or couples/families without small kids. Families with small children or even business travelers may also want to consider elsewhere.

While trying hard to be as objective as possible and speak only out of fact, I’m sorry if my review on the T-Hotel has gone against the seemingly overwhelming “mainstream” on the forum therefore raised a lot of eyebrows. However, I feel strongly about it and will firmly stand behind my comments. Overall rating: 3.0 out 5.0.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family