“Nicely modernised room - good once inside!”

The Bauhinia Hotel - Tsim Sha Tsui
Ranked #158 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
London, United Kingdom
“Nicely modernised room - good once inside!”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was a very last minute booking when we failed to get on our ongoing flight whilst in transit in HK. I didn't have much time to research but know the Tsim Sha Tsui area and this seemed to be the best deal for the price.

The taxi driver had problems finding it (as did others in the reviews) and we directed him using our map. I was a bit shocked at the location in what looked like a bit of a shabby back street up a steep, if short hill.

First impressions were not good as the hotel doesn't have a proper reception, just a side doorway into a lift lobby. The lift was in the process of refurbishment and was lined with plywood and tape - rather depressing! The reception on the 9th floor was just a very small area in front of the lift and there were virtually no facilities other than a very small bar/lounge area which I couldn't have imagined spending time in.

The room was pleasant if compact and the bathroom an attractive but unusual design which rather dominated the room. Definitely not for anyone who values their privacy. It looked new and was very nicely decorated.

I would really put this more in the category of an apartotel rather than a hotel. The staff were pleasant at the desk but other than check in/check out there was no service or facilities to enjoy. The dual aspect views from the windows on our very high floor were great. I was envious of the large public pool complex in the park below. The free wifi was a bonus, a major irritant when it's lacking or charged for.

The area seemed very strange at night. We ventured out for something to eat, by this time very late at night and had a bad experience in the local traditional chinese restaurant (didn't note the name) but they appeared not to understand English. Even though I carefully pointed out and confirmed my dish I was brought something totally different containing lots of fatty pork (I don't eat meat!) the waiter just walked off when I objected and asked for it to be changed. By this time I was too tired to bother. Incidentally this was the only bad meal I had in HK.

The next day the area appeared less seedy and and turned out to be very convenient for sightseeing. The free airport bus at the bottom of the short hill was a real bonus.

I wouldn't plan to stay again at this hotel, though if it was the cheapest in the category I might be swayed. It was however preferable to the BP International where we stayed the following night.

1 Thank turkeyfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have stayed at many other hotels in the same price range while staying in Kowloon- this hotel had the nicest rooms by far. (That being said, I had a deluxe room with a great view of the harbor). The location is great and you can walk to the MTR in about 5 minutes. There are countless restaurants and bars in the area.

The outside of the building isn't too impressive, but once you are inside the lobby you can see that the place is well taken care of. (One elevator was being worked on while I was there and while it was obviously under repair, the space was still clean).

I would happily stay at the Bauhinia again. Also, every single staff member I came in contact with was extremely helpful and polite and seemed genuinely concerned about making my stay enjoyable. (this has not been true for me at other hotels in the area).

Room Tip: ask for a harbor view and get a deluxe room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Great room with excellent facilities, bathroom clean and well-equipped. Chose the hotel due to price and location, and was not disappointed. Would go there again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This boutique mid range hotel exceeded my expectations. Brand new, clean, chic and competitively priced.

Staff were amazing, even greeting me by name in the reception area which I don't expect in this class of hotel. Yes, the hotel is up a bit of a slope, but it's no "big hill" like some other reviews stated. Drycleaner / laundry (overpriced, cheaper options nearby) opposite the hotel as well as a couple of quiet bars.

Arrived early but staff were more than happy to look after my bags. Lobby is on the 7th floor. There is 24 hour security at ground level also. You need your keycard to access guest floors in the elevator.

Room standard size by Hong Kong standards, spotlessly clean. Lovely soft bed, spacious bathroom, AMAZING shower, LCD tv, iPod dock (nice touch).

Basic hotel, but very modern and chic, has the basics, what you need, nothing you don't.

Plenty to do even in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, 10min or less walk to MTR station. Knutsford Terrace just around the corner (literally), which is a strip of terrace style restaurants. Some excellent dining. This also backs onto the Miramar shopping mall. Cheaper eating also found in a number of places on Kimberly Road also around the corner.

Hope to stay again on my next visit to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for stunning views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank renegado_12
Clear Lake, Iowa
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, starting March 9th, 2012. This is a great hotel, very clean, the room was small but had everything we needed. The bathroom and the room were spotless; checking very fast. We did not know about the free bus shuttle to the Empire Hotel (which is basically accross the street) so we took the train from the airport (70 Hong Kong dollars which was about $9 US/per person) to one of the subway stations by the hotel, then taxi (appx $5 US) from the train station to the hotel. The location was perfect, everything within walking distance; very easy access to subways and the ferry which takes you to the other part of the island.
In Hong Kong, if you want grocery store with European/Western food, go to either the Elements plaza (by the Ritz Carlton) or to the Queensplaza - you can access both locations very easy by subway. The Queensplaza had an excellent restaurant (in the basement/ in the grocery shop) that served western type breakfast and lunches, very good price as well. We had a great experience and absolutely loved this hotel. We will definitely stay at this place again while in Hong Kong. Great value for your money. If you have time, go see the Gold Coast in Hong Kong - you can take a bus or subway to Tsun Mun-great resort community and we had a fabulous time at the Marina and Yacht club. Would recommend the Gold Coast Hotel while on the gold coast.

2 Thank 355John
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This hotel is a great value. Rooms are somewhat small but to be expected for Hong Kong. Decor is modern, wifi is fast, and the bathroom was fabulous. My bathroom was actually about 2/3 the size of the bedroom.

I think the hotel is less well known so taxi drivers don't really know where it is. It is perhaps easier to tell them the Stanford Hillview Hotel which is about 50 feet away - as you approach the Stanford the Bauhinia is on Observatory Court which is a small road to the right.

As for how steep the hill is, it's really not that bad, no worse than anything you might encounter in the Haight in San Francisco or any number of neighborhoods in Seattle. I was able to easily roll a 70-lb bag up and down it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jtwang
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This was an excellent hotel - the view from our room was lovely - especially for New years, I would recommend just booking a room here and having a great view of the fireworks! (we made the mistake of thinking we could walk down to the water for some nice views, but never made it as there were too many crowds - so with hindsight, bottle o wine and the view from our room would have been an AMAZING new years).

The hotel is modern and clean, staff are nice and helpful.
Strangely the bathroom is in the middle of the room and there's less privacy than I'm used to.. so that would be the only complaint about the room... if you are staying as a couple or with a friend, you may wish for more privacy than is offered by the bathrooms...

I would stay here again - we loved the location - enjoyed being in the area where locals are and it was an easy walk or metro ride to where we wanted to go for tourist destinations.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple