“Great Boutique Hotel in Central HK - location is great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butterfly on Wellington

Butterfly on Wellington
Ranked #42 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York City
“Great Boutique Hotel in Central HK - location is great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Went to Hong Kong for the weekend and needed to be relatively close to the mid-levels/central Hong Kong area. This hotel is great both for location and for the overall quality of the hotel.
The room size was relatively large (for HK standards) having attractive modern decor in the room. The bathroom/shower was all glass (very nice) giving the room a feeling of a upper end hotel.
Extra's such Free internet and ipod/iphone docking station were good.
Conceirge was helpful in getting taxi's when needed. Cost was surprisingly low for HK for a good hotel in great location.
Can not comment on the restaurant as I did not try it (not even sure if they had one) but there are plenty of choices outside for restaurants.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Maxing, Manager at Butterfly on Wellington, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is true that there are many famous restaurants and local eateries in the area. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at the hotel last week and had an excellent stay. The hotel's location is fantastic, very convenient to the mid-level escalators and just a 5 minute walk to the MTR. The staff was professional, friendly, and courteous. They were always available to answer questions. The lobby is a small area with comfy chairs and free coffee in the morning...it was a great place to meet fellow travelers. Rooms are small, but this is Hong Kong, and that's pretty typical for most small hotels. It's a small price to pay considering the location of the hotel. For single or two person travelers, room size shouldn't be a problem.
If I could change one thing, it would be the lack of wi-fi in the rooms. You had to go down to the lobby to access the free wi-fi they have, which was fine, but a tad bit inconvenient.
Some previous reviewers noted a smell problem. We didn't notice it. In fact, the hotel interior smelled positively fresh and flowery compared to the marketplace outside.
To sum up, for the price this hotel is an excellent value. A fantastic hotel for travelers looking for a bargain.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank brabisum
Thanks so much for your encouraging review! We will continue to seek for improvement in different areas and we hope you will find Butterfly On Wellington even more impressive during your next stay.
Osaka, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I've been to HongKong many times, even used to live there. So, I know this city and I know what I want there. I found this new hotel might be a good match for me when searching on this TripAdvisor, and it really was.

Good:

-Decorated with modern-chinese interior. Simple and sophisticated.
-Great location! Easy to come from & go to everywhere. From airport, just take Airport Express, which directly arrives at HongKong stn, the nearest stn. Also, convenient to take the subway(MTR) to both HK island side and Kowloon Peninsula side.
-Many choices for eating-out. From early morning to late at night, many reasonable local restaurants are available around.
-Close to both business / shopping area, which means good for both business traveler /
individual sightseeing.
-The staff are very helpful and work efficiently, which is quite HongKong-ish I think.
-No many group guests are staying.

Not good:

-In the guest room, bedroom and bathroom is not well divided. It's hard to explain, but, in the superior room I stayed, the bathroom is just a corner divided with glass door. it's very unique and stylish, even use the limited space efficiently at maximum, but still I suppose some will not like it.
-Some smell comes out from the drain. I guess because it's surrounded by local shops and restaurant, still again, some will not like it.

Well, in HK, you have bunch of choices regarding hotels. I would stay with this hotel if they keep their room rate when they've started, but seems not. (I checked their latest rate on their website, seems a bit higher than when I stayed.) I will try another one next time, but might come back here again depending on their rate.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank akiko_nnn
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

As HK is one of my transit stop, I had been staying here several times this year. I feel so sorry that my experience has not been positive recently. I was really disappointed with the room tidiness and hygienic situation. There is nothing I can say about this basic housekeeping service except that I hope to see some improvement.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
We are very sorry to hear that our room condition did not meet your expectations. We value your comments and the concerned department has already made the effort to ensure the usual high standard of cleanliness. We sincerely hope that you will provide us the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future. Please feel free to drop us an email when you plan for your next visit.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed for a few nights at the Butterfly, in terms of location you can not go wrong.
It is in central close to Lang Kwa Fon and a 1 minute walk to the escalators.
There is free internet access included in the room which is a nice touch.
Unfortunately on our level as you come out of the lift there is a damp smell, I believe there are ongoing works and this didn’t effect our stay. The room and small and cosy
But there is little in the way of privacy – the bathroom pane door is almost see through and there is a lack of sound proofing so you can here EVERYTHING when someone uses it. No problems with the service since we didn’t ask for much and spent a lot of time outside of room. We would always have breakfast outside and never spent an evening indoors there This is a perfect location for those wishing to explore at a good rate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

What a great stay. I was in Hong Kong for a 26-hour layover, and this was a random choice after only an hour of research on TripAdvisor. What an excellent, excellent decision!

When I arrived, the greeter whisked my bags away, and showed me to the reception area. The gentleman that checked me in was friendly, helpful, and more than happy to explain all of the evening activities I could enjoy during my brief stay in HK.

The room...fantastic. Comfortable beds, spacious and elegant bathroom, rainhead shower...just top notch. Internet is included, and little touches, like slippers and a power converter, really made me feel like I was in a 5-star hotel.

The neighborhood is fabulous. A quick walk to the amazing Lan Kwai Fong nightlife district (which puts Cancun to SHAME!), a US$3 cab ride to the Peak Tram (amazing night views), and a nice walk to the botanical gardens and the docks.

The concierge / reception staff were so helpful, and helped me pack a lot of activities into a little amount of time. A BIG thank you to the staff!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad that you found Butterfly On Wellington an excellent choice though it’s just a very brief stay. We look forward to welcoming you again for a longer trip soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

HK is first stop of my Asia trip. Though it is a small city overall I prefer to stay in somewhere convenient to save my time traveling back to my hotel everyday. This hotel is just 2 blocks away from the famed Lan Kwai Fong area, me and my friends ended up chill out ourselves everynight there in different clubs, which cost us quite some time for sightseeing since we need to hang over a bit each morning.

By the way, the hotel itself is excellently designed in some stylish oriental mood, it's exceptionally clean and comfortable. Staffs speak perfect English and helpful. Might come back again when I come to hk again with my family next year

• Stayed July 2011