“Fast food in disguise?”

Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Port Melbourne
“Fast food in disguise?”
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We ate here this afternoon during the "happy hour" where you could get a meal with soft drink or tea for a cheaper price. My husband ordered the linguine clams and hated it, he didn't finish. I ordered a side of beans to go with the thai pork salad - both were ok but nothing special. It was priced reasonably, $380HK ($47AUS), most of which was for the crappy linguini. Other than the pasta dish, it's a cheap place to get edible food.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Macao, China
“kinda ok”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

the idea was original but.. the food was so-so... i liked that they used the 3 sizes to make the dishes so that the customerscan chhose what size they want and the preise is ok la..

Visited April 2012
Macao
“Interesting concept”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were wondering around Times Square at dinner time and had no idea of what we wanted to eat. My kids always want pasta and I had no idea where to find it. When we saw SML we took a look at the menu and decided to go in.
It was around 20h so it was quite busy.
We thought the concept was different but interesting: you could order the same dish in different sizes, small, medium or large (S, M, L). I thought the small portion sizes I saw in another table is too small for somebody to eat; it is more like a starter.
I also saw that they share tables but we had one table for 4 persons.
My daughter had lasagna, and she said it was good.
My son had a large burger, and I tasted a little and it was very tasteful.
I had a medium mushroom risotto; the taste was ok, not really like risotto; and my husband had medium paella but we didn’t like it. It didn’t taste like paella, but more like Chinese fried rice.
Overall, the food is ok, price is reasonable for medium size dishes but if I can find better options I would not go there.

• Visited September 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Hong Kong 2012”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is in the heart of the shopping district. Very easy to get to from anywhere.You can choose the size of meals to suit you, all tasted fantastic. The staff were all very tentative and friendly.

Visited October 2012
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
“Great concept - Excellent Service”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The service made all the difference at SML. Our overall dining experience was far from perfect, but the attention and care from the staff made it clear to us, that was an abnormality, We dropped by for lunch, but were very much on the late side (2PM) so several of our selections were no longer available. Once we got over the fact our first picks were not available, we adjusted. I LOVE the concept of small-medium-large servings and it allowed us to get just the right serving sizes based on our appetite (but there is one minor downside).

My husband's lunch (a pasta dish) turned out great and he ate every bite. I had ordered a burger, medium rare with no tomato and fries. The fries came and were steaming hot and perfectly crisp. And this is the downside of the SML concept -- I ordered a small which normally would be fine, but they were AWESOME and I was forced to share with my husband who agreed they were great. Next time, I'm going for the medium :-) So, it's a learning experience. lol

The bad part was my burger: it looked PERFECT --hot and juicy but it came with mayo on the bun . The menu did not state that otherwise I would have stated to not include it. I hate mayo. But that was not the deal breaker -- I had specifically said no tomato, I am allergic to tomatoes and get sick if I eat them. The sandwich did not have the tomato, but there were the tomato seeds still on the lettuce. It was clear the kitchen had just taken the tomato off the standard setup. I could not eat it. I explained this to the waitress who was clearly upset we were not having a great ordering/dining experience. She pulled over another guy and they promptly removed the burger and had another one made up fresh. The new burger was mayo-less and tomato-less, but cooked much more on the med-well side. At this point, I didn't want to say anything. I ate it and though not cooked the way I prefer it, it was still really tasty and good.

The staff, especially the waitress, were highly attentive and dedicated to ensuring we had everything we needed. The assorted missteps happen anywhere. It's how the server and management deal with those challenges. SML handled it perfectly.

We will certainly be back -- though will strive to get there during the standard lunch time. And will most certainly order a medium fries... hummm.... maybe a large... YUM!

Visited September 2012