“Wow, some meat!”

Neighborhood: Central
Hong Kong
“Wow, some meat!”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Once in a while every man has a craving for red meat. Some can afford it (in terms of money, calories, cholesterol or some other personal reasons) every so often, while some can only afford it a few times a year. For me, red meat is one of those cravings that once I have some good beef, it can satisfy me for months.

That time has come last evening - an occasion for celebration with a few good friends, and with some good wine to dispose of. I wanted to stay on this side of the harbour instead of going back to my long time favourite in TST. So glad that I did!

Booking a table was a breeze, and the re-confirmation telephone call on the morning was both courteous and professional.

The location is easy to find, the only drawback seems to be the walk up the hill from Central carrying the wines!

The decor was inviting but with the tables a little too close to my liking. Especially when the place was rather quiet on this Monday night, they could have put us further away from other patrons as we had a rather big group while the other diners were mainly couples.

The wine menu is more centered on the old world, on the higher priced French ones which no doubt reflects on the clientele. As we had wines of our own, we were gently reminded of the corkage fee of $300/bottle unless we also ordered at least one of theirs.

Our group had a variety of both hot and cold starters, and we all seemed satisfied with our choices even though there wasn't much to write home for. We hadn't expected less, nor more from a restaurant of this calibre.

Then came the beef - our only purpose of eating here. Wow, what could I say! The aroma and the texture of a perfectly grilled steak told me that this restaurant would displace my other favourite as soon as I walked out. By comparison, the beef here appears more refined, the taste more 'basic' and the grilling technique more polished than the other steak houses in town.

The dessert menu was rather limited but rather appealing. By that time, we were all so full that all we wanted was the chocolate cake to be shared. It was heavenly made and coupled with the vanilla ice cream, the perfect way to end the dinner.

No doubt Opus will stay on my radar for the foreseeable future, and I look forward to tasting some of the other dishes that I have missed out on this occasion.

Visited June 2011

hong kong
“Disappointing food, inattentive service...and at these prices??!”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Dinner at Opus Grill last Sat. Its glossy website hyping its dry-aged steaks etc raised our expectations. Turned out to be mainly hype. Started well enough with a well-made martini. But downhill after that. The beef tartare was very average, not even as tasty as the one in Cafe Gray Deluxe or Frites (Belgian restnt whose specialty isn't beef). My partner's rib-eye was served medium (he'd asked for rare) and charred, neither juicy nor particularly tender; he grills better steak at home. My barramundi was fairly dry and tasteless, though the 2 scallops were ok. Best thing about the meal was the side-dish of spinach with pinenuts & raisins. Even the bread tasted slightly stale and wasn't warm. The sommelier professed to be "changing stocks" and could offer only rioja or tempranillo by the glass - not even merlot! One cup of coffee arrived half an hour after we ordered it, following several reminders. I had to keep asking for my water glass to be refilled. The French sommelier kept raising his hand and calling out "service! service!" while ignored by the local waitstaff, who chatted among themselves - quite comical but not designed to impress diners. Next time we want steak we'll go back to Morton's - never been disappointed there, and the prices are a tad lower too!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank lantauloafer
New York City, New York
“Exceptional steaks”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Went to Opus Grill with a group of four. A bit of a splurge, but we had a pleasant expereince and I recommend this place for all steaklovers. There is nice bar to wait with some rare spirits on offer. The restaurant was fairly crowded, but they gave us a quiet corner which was good. The decoration is pretty good, nothing spectacular but nothing pretentious or intrusive and music and overall ambience was good for relaxed dinner. Service was prompt and friendly. Food was a bit pricey, but everything was tasty and and not too heavy for a steakhouse. Highlights included the Five Elements Prawn cocktail which was creative flavour pairing, Tartare which was really flavorful and I loved the matchstick fries, Chopped Salad was decent, the Sagabuta Pork was wow tender, and the steaks were exceptional, especially the Flannery Rib Eye, which was among the best steaks I've ever had. For desserts which we shared, the grilled mint pineapple was excellent, but the brandy raisin nougatine, while interesting for first bite with salt and sweet toffee hit, was a bit rich for my taste. The wine selection was good and the staff made some nice recommendations, which fortunately weren't too expensive.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank DanteWang
HONG KONG
“STAY AWAY! MANAGER WAS AGGRESSIVE, ABUSIVE AND THREATENED US!”
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Stay far away from this restaurant, we spent NYE there, and it was a disaster. we were the biggest table there, 14 people, spent 30,000HKD , and one meat of the steak was smelling very bad, another was asked to be cooked rare and was cooked well done.

Plus the manager is very rude and aggressive, first we asked to add a chair as a friend was joining for a drink and he tried to make us pay 500HKD just to add a chair. then my friend got a bill for 7,000HKD on his credit card, and he asked to see the breakdown. the manager (which i suspect was a bit drunk as he said he was taking whisky shots) told him no he wasnt allowed to see the breakdown then he and my friend started pushing each other. getting very physical

i then proceeded to tell the manager that if he continues behaving like this with clients, he will have the place close down within a few months. he then told me to [-]...and threatened me by saying- watch out i have lived here many years.

VERY VERY SCARY! PLEASE STAY AWAY!

1 Thank HongKongD_d
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I tried out this place due to good reviews on TA. The reviews were spot on.

You have to visit the bar when you are here. The bartender is great. I have never seen a bottle of vodka encased in ice. I guess they filled a pail of water and put the bottle in and froze it, then removed the pail. So when they make you a vodka martini, they pour the very cold vodka from this ice encased bottles.

The prices here are also reasonable. They served me a very very good iberico ham at the bar, priced at HKG 170 per 50g, but he said quietly -"I'll cut you extra, but not a lot coz its very expensive". Next day I was at Yaohan department store and iberico ham sells for 300 bucks per 100g (and they served it at 170 per 50g). Not expensive !

I had the Flannery Private Reserve Ribeye. Nice! costs about HKD 680 for a 16oz cut. They also give you a section of bone with marrow inside. Nice and tasty touch.

My whole meal, for one, including 2 imported beers, the ham, a scallop apertizer, the ribeye and tips plus tax and mandatory service charge cost HKG 1400. Service was 5 star.

3 Thank maic