“Lovely meal and spectacular views”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Gray Deluxe

Cafe Gray Deluxe
Ranked #7 of 7,950 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: International, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Admiralty
Description: Cafe Gray Deluxe, A 21st Century Grand Cafe, Offers Stunning Views of Victoria Harbor. The Restaurant Marks the Return To Hong Kong of Celebrated Chef Gray Kunz, with His Unique Style of Modern European Classics, and Signature Dishes From a Lifetime of Leading the Finest Kitchens in Europe, Asia and America.
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely meal and spectacular views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Located at the top of Upper House, Cafe Gray Deluxe enjoys some of the most fantastic views over Victoria Harbour, Kowloon and the Northern Territories that you could ever hope for!

I had a solo Saturday lunch at the restaurant, which was very enjoyable. I mixed and matched from the set brunch menu and the à la carte lunch/brunch menu.

The bread with, what I think might have been a cacik dip was a beautiful touch. Lovely fresh bread with a beautiful yoghurt and olive oil dip was a lovely quirk to the usual bread and butter offered by most restaurants.

A first course of agnolotti pasta with pea consomme was deliciously fresh and vibrant (thanks to the use of pea shoots and beautiful baby peas). My only disappointment with this course was that it was very small and I would happily have paid more money to have more as it was a wonderful way to start the meal. A glass of sauvignon blanc to accompany my starter was very welcome if unmemorable.

A main course of roasted chicken with asparagus and salsify served with a porcini mushroom sauce and a side of potato puree was simply delightful! The chicken was cooked to perfection and a delight in every bite. The potato puree silky smooth and several hundred calories a bite I am sure. The asparagus and salsify had been beautifully roasted and charred and were lovely although I would have liked perhaps a bit more crunch and depth of texture if I had any quibbles! A stunning half bottle of St. Julien 2007 complimented this dish perfectly and was very well priced - if only other restaurants could offer half bottles at decent prices!

A dessert of raspberry and rhubarb crêpes with lemon thyme ice cream was absolutely delicious. Beautifully tart rhubarb and raspberry was toned down with a lovely filled crêpe and then the layer of savoury tartness from the lemon thyme ice cream made this dessert perfectly for diners like me who don't enjoy overly sweet desserts. This was complemented with a lovely glass of sauternes which really helped to counterbalance the tartness of the dessert.

Coffee and chocolates after the meal were a nice touch. The home made chocolate was absolutely delicious!

Staff were extremely pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable and made the experience of dining alone (never a pleasant thing!) very enjoyable.

I only wish that for weekend lunch the restaurant were able to offer a full à la carte service (some of the items on this menu look very exciting on the website) so that customers unable to stay for dinner could enjoy the full range of the menu!

1 Thank DiceyMorris1978
HowardKuo, Director of Restaurants at Cafe Gray Deluxe, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you so much for the lovely review of our establishment. I myself also enjoy dining alone and to hear that you had such a nice pairing of wine and food is music to my ears! I'm sorry you were not able to try some of the dinner items, however, please do let us know in advance of your visit the next time and we will certainly do our best to accomodate your request. Especially for a foodie like yourself!

Warmest Regards,

Howard Kuo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
“4 meals over 2 visits in 5 weeks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Location is stunning and great for people-watching – clearly a hot and happening venue for the HK cognoscenti!

The food is good and the daily recommendations are worth considering. The evening service is slick, discreet and extremely efficient.

• Visited April 2014
Lois L, R&B Secretary at Cafe Gray Deluxe, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor, it is greatly appreciated.

Needless to say we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

NC
“Incredible dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We cannot find the words to describe what a wonderful dining experience we had. The food was superbly prepared and beautifully presented. The wait staff seemed to read our minds-they were attentive but not intrusive. Oh yes, and then there is the view,which is a nice backdrop for the food. Try the swordfish...wonderful.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank NC-travel19
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Cafe Gray on tripadvisor.

I am absolutely delighted you had an enjoyable experience and thank you so much for highlighting our attentive but not intrusive service.

We all hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Tokyo, Japan
“Worst meal ever....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Not only was it way overpriced but the steak I ordered had no flavor and tasted like it had been rinsed in water then fired up with no seasoning. The bone marrow accompaniment was undercooked underseasoned and tasted like pure lard. The vegatable side dish was oily, overcooked and oversalted. I was appalled by the terrible meal and the service was amateur at best. No serviette, had to ask 3 times for one and was given a funny look when I asked because the waitstaff did not understand what was a serviette. Loud Cantonese chatting when the waitstaff was clearing the tables around me. To top things off, this meal was overpriced when put in context of the poor food and service presented. I cannot recommend eating there, drinks OK given the view but no food.

3 Thank G C
HowardKuo, Director of Restaurants at Cafe Gray Deluxe, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
We are terribly sorry about the dining experience you had with us. We pride ourselves on delivering the finest product and unobtrusive service to match. May I contact you via email or phone so we can discuss the matter further? I would appreciate the opportunity for you to allow me to try and change your rather low perception of our establishment.

With Sincere Apologies,

Howard Kuo
Director of Restaurants
the Upper House

howardkuo@swirehotels.com
hk
“nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

nice foid nice place and nice environment that make me willing to go there again

Your review is much appreciated and thanks for all the compliments.

Many thanks once again for the positive feedback and hope to see you at Cafe Gray again in the future.