“Nepalese dining in Hong Kong”
Review of himalaya

himalaya
Ranked #682 of 8,953 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Nepali
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Description: +852 2527 5899
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We arrived at peak dinner hour, without reservations and with a party of six. The hostess was very friendly, and had a table set for us in about ten minutes. The dining room was plain, but comfortable, and the noise level was fairly low for a single, large room.

The menu is extensive and authentic. Prices are quite reasonable by Hong Kong standards, both for food and for drinks. The food quality and presentation were excellent and portions were reasonable. We did have to ask a few times for some drinks and sauces, but, overall, the service was friendly and efficient.

Given the quality of the food, Himalaya offers good value for money in a city infamous for high priced cuisine. We will be back...

There are newer reviews for himalaya

Reviewed May 1, 2013

There are so many excellent Indian restaurants in Hong Kong - several in Wan Chai, this not one of them. Service took forever (only 2 tables had customers). To take the order too long, then starters took forever. The kebab tasted as if it had fallen into a charcoal pit and the fish was deep fried in the thickest most doughy batter we have seen. After another long wait before main course (in a restaurant who does not use aircon) we paid for our starters and walked out - thankfully not having to taste main course.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Tucked away on the 1st floor of a non-descript block on Tai Wong Street East between Johnston Road and Queens St E in Wanchai Himalaya serves Nepalese food. On a Saturday afternoon I ordered the Nepalese Mustang beer (HK$32) and the daily set lunch (12:00 to 14:30) for HK$ 75. Tables were cleanly laid out with tablecloths, silverware and glasses, but service was relaxed and my hopes were not high especially as there was quite a long wait after my order during which the waiter partitioned off half of the dining room- he obviously knew that the large Indian family party would be noisy. I was pleasantly surprised when the chiken tikka, lamb curry, mixed vegetables, rice and onion kulcha arrived on one metal thali. The food quality was excellent and I'd certainly be happy to eat there again. The waitress told me that my credit card had been declined by the bank, so I paid cash. My bank told me that there had be no requested transaction from any merchant that day, so it looks like Himalaya may need to check their equipment.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The food is light. The service staff is less but efficient. The menu has a variety of options both for vegetarians and non vegetarians. However, they donot provide chappatis.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is one of the better Indian Restaurants in HK. It's much better value than similar places in Central.

Prawn Vindaloo is great (..and V hot), Chicken Tikka is also good..

Steer clear of the lamb / mutton, it is tough as old boots.