“Something unexpected and special in HK”
Review of Hullett House

Hullett House
Ranked #15 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Shenzhen, China
“Something unexpected and special in HK”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Lobby is terrible, feels like the entrance for deliveries. Two cases I needed help from font desk, but they had been on the phone, just one person working there. Layout of hotel is kind of confusing.
Rooms are very spacious and very tasteful decorated, but a little worn and aged. Our room Stanley had a very big bathroom. The rainforest shower was not really working due to low water pressure. The absolutely best is the large private balcony of about 25 sqm. Terrific view and amazing in HK, especially in spring. Free mini bar with great wines. No spa, no gym, no pool. Breakfast okay, but bad for a 5 star hotel. To sum up, if you are looking for hotel in the best location, very nice and spacious room with large balcony, get it ! Book over Agoda, not worth the full price. If you look for more, get the Peninsula right next door.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hullett H, Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hullett House and taking time to share with us the opinion of your recent stay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

It is always a disappointment for us when the guest satisfaction could not be met, in particular to lobby area, breakfast quality, service, in-room features and facilities. Therefore we are taking necessary steps to ensure this experience remains an unfortunate exception. Please be assured that your feedback has been noted, and appropriate actions have been taken.

Leo Ho
House Manager
Hullett House
leo.ho@hulletthouse.com
852 3988 0000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Decided to go to Hullett House for a 'staycation' in Hong Kong. As there are not many boutique hotels locally, Hullett House looked like a good option. A small number of rooms, each with their own theme and located in the middle of Tsim Sha Tsui. I had been to one of the dining venues at Hullett House just after the complex opened, and it was hit and miss (luxury prices, average service, standard food) - but after a couple of years I had assumed that they would have overcome their teething problems. Unfortunately I was wrong.

The rooms are very spacious and the coffee served at breakfast was good. However, service was at best 'bemused' and at worst flustered. The staff was not well informed, and not hugely helpful. The room rates are 'luxury' and comparable with the Peninsula nearby. However the rooms themselves are not well appointed, decor is shabby, there were two flat screen TVs in the room (two? why?) and one of them was broken and had to be fixed. The chandelier lamps had lost a few crystals, the bathroom exhaust fan was noisy and intrusive. The hotel was empty save for one other group - whose conversations I could listen two when I went out on the 'private' balcony.

Saying that, almost everything can be forgiven if the service is good - but it was terrible, and this is the downfall of the hotel. It took a couple of calls to fix the TV, and the staff seemed to do everything they could to avoid talking to you. When a hotel is empty, you'd hope the staff would be attentive - and you wouldn't have to chance them down.

The last straw was breakfast. We were served eggs (just about the only thing that was fresh), a measly serve of baked beans from a can, a flaccid sausage, a limp piece of bacon with almost no meat on it (only fat), one dry hash brown from a packet, some tomato sauce and one cherry tomato. It was the last straw - I tried to eat breakfast but failed. We checked out early and checked into the nearest hotel (which was large, 'luxury', half the price and with excellent food and made it in time for breakfast).

I would not recommend it to anyone - there are many other places nearby which are much better. All these little niggles are very disappointing when you are paying an arm and a leg. You can get better real estate at cheaper prices. There are no amenities, no extra facilities (like a gym) and you wouldn't want to eat there. So why bother? Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere if you want a good room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HKFrog
Hullett H, Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, April 4, 2014

First of all, please accept our sincerest apology for your unpleasant experience at our hotel. It is always a disappointment for us when the guest satisfaction could not be met, in particular to breakfast quality, service, in-room features and facilities. Therefore we are taking necessary steps to ensure this experience remains an unfortunate exception. Please be assured that your feedback has been noted, and appropriate actions have been taken.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and like to apologize again for the challenges you encountered with us. We do hope you would consider Hullett House as a “staycation” option again and give us a chance to win your confidence back.

Warm regards,
Leo Ho
House Manager
Reviewed December 12, 2013

By FAR the WORST SERVICE I have ever received in a hotel. I have worked in the Service Industry for 20 years, have traveled extensively around the world, stayed in every type of lodging imaginable and have gotten better service in a US$10 a night hostel in Vietnam than this 5 star boutique hotel.

The lowlights of my experience…
•An elusive Front Desk- when can finally be found, is staffed by people who could care less about guest service.
•Clueless, inept, slow and rude Restaurant Staff
•Getting into a yelling match with a bartender on the night of my wedding.
•A bathtub & shower that needs an instruction manual and floods the bathroom when used (When we called for help, even the housekeeper didn't know how to use it!)
•Fire Exits being blocked in historical landmark
•Attempting to charge HKD$12,000 to take photos inside the room

To top it all of, I sent a formal complaint letter to the General Manager, Food & Beverage Director, and Hotels of the World 7 days prior to this posting and have not heard a word back from any of them.

I love Hong Kong, it is my adopted home. I take pride in the last few cultural icons remaining around the city. I chose to stay at Hullett House precisely because of it historical significance and to celebrate my wedding. It is a pity that such a beautiful property is staffed with such uncaring people that do not realize the value of good guest service.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel if you expect an ounce of guest service.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank McJen
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stopped here for two nights on our way to Beijing and one night on the way back. This hotel is a unique oasis in the middle of the concrete jungle. A quiet, well serviced with beautiful suites. Best of all is the staff who go to any length to make you stay pleasant.
We are already planning another visit and will definately stay at Hullett Hous

Room Tip: Ask for oneof the corner suites. You get your own private balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ampalsson
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed November 10, 2013

There are loads of places in HK where is knwon for gigantic afternoon tray and set.
I also watned to try P hotel's one, but my friend who is local in HK recommended this space instead.
We booked the terrace, nice weather make me feel more comfortable and the afternoon tea set they presented was really good. It was worth the pay. Also my friend wanted to get cheese platter which is not on the menu since he need something to enjoy with his champaign. But they didn't hesitate to serve the platter for us with reasonable price.
However, I saw they are understaffed. We tried to reach waiters & waitress manytimes, but they didn't show up the terrace very frequently. That was only inconvenience I experienced.
But I would like to recommend the afternoon tea here - rich flavour cakes and lovely presentation, the food arrangement was better than I thought.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eun Sil N
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Summary: not cheap but worth the experience! The best boutique hotel Hong Kong have to offer in my opinion.

The hotel is at one of the best location of Hong Kong! Some of the best shops, restaurants and views are within 10 mins walk!

Front desk have good service bit the other staff are just OK.

The hotel reuses an old navy police building and the design is flawlessly stunning! You can feel the history here! Each suites are design uniquely and they only have 10 suites! So getting a suite here is tough but well worth it! Be sure to check out the design of each suite and book with a remark so they will reverse the room for you!

The design and the feel of the hotel over thrown the bad parts I am going to mention.

Now the bad parts...

Problem 1- The interior design looks great but usability is terrible! For example the washroom, there is a forest shower head on top that is weak and shower head that is strong but no wall mount to mount it for shower... There is also no curtain so if you are taking a shower water are for sure going to flood your washroom! I stayed in a corner suite, the suite have almost 1/3 of the space being a corridor and there is NOTHING there total waste of space! I can go on and on how bad usability of space and design.

Problem 2- Maintenance and details! For a hotel at this price range and with such stunning design, is sad to see maintenance and details are left out! Furniture are dented here and there, walls are have marking on it, carpets stains, small cracky ceilings, some minor peeling wall paints... Nothing major but totally noticeable to average eye! At this price range in Hong Kong, the maintenance will be far more superior!

Problem 3: breakfast - this is the worst breakfast I have seen for any 5 star boutique hotel! Seriously 2 options only? Bacon, sausage, egg in any style. This is a breakfast options for a 3 star hotel! A big big let down in this department!

Problem 4: staff knowledge - the front desk staff are great but the overall staff are not good enough to match them nor the hotel! At a hotel like this every staff should be well train to know where is where. I asked a staff where do I get breakfast she have no clue! I remarked for a room I like, when I check in it turn out it wasn't remarked. Luckily the front desk staff was smart and gave me a free upgrade to pacify me.

I highly recommend the place to any one who is looking for a boutique design hotel in Hong Kong! This will be a memorable hotel you will remember!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jeff L
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Lovely little hotel with attentive staff.

Huge rooms, clean, nicely decorated, colonial setting, good restaurants to dine (Stables Grill and Loong Toh Yuen are most noteworthy), nice breakfast.
I was a bit scared about the noise of the traffic - you are in the center of tsim sha tsui after all - but it didn't bother too much. It does make the balcony a bit redundant, for that the noise is too big, but it's a nice plus. Noise faded out as even people in HK do get to sleep after 1-2am, so we slept deep and comfortable.

It is true that it's not easy to find the entrance of the hotel, but ask any staff member you encounter and they'll take you there.

If you're looking for an all in experience with spa, gym and all that stuff, better go elsewhere.
If you're looking for a special retreat in HK, with excellent service and no hundreds of other guest around, then book Hullet House.

Hats off for the staff in particular.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple