“Utter Class”
Review of Hullett House

Hullett House
Ranked #31 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed September 14, 2011

In a city that seems to keeps its older history tucked away, and where the modern and 'now' rules, Hullett House offers a taste of colonial splendour mixed with taseful innovation that is guarenteed to delight, impress and charm the visitor.
The building was once the police headquarters. Built in the late 19th century, it has a courtyard in a city where every square-inch is at a premium. It has a number of beautiful bars where peace and quiet can be found amongst the vibrant city life around it- and a couple of the prison cells have been left as a reminder of its past use!
The staff are absolutley charming and could not be more helpful and the food and drink match the quality of their surroundings.
There are a number of bedroom suites that are decorated in a unique theme. We stayed in a room decorated in a traditional Chinese style which looked out towards the harbour and gave a feeling of being splendidly superior and luxury - which was probably how the original occupiers wanted to feel.
Hullett House is a very special hotel. We were very well looked-after and our time there really added to the whole Hong Kong experience. It's a perfect choice for anyone looking to add an extra dimension to their city-stay or for a romantic stop-over that will be remembered for the fact that no one else in the world is staying in a room quite like yours - or if you're not a resident - the resturant & bar service is worth visiting in its own right.
Without overstating the point... It's a unique and beautiful destination that made us feel very welcome. Thank you!

Room Tip: Visit the website for more info on the suites and / or ask for a description of those available. Re...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank James W
Raymond S, Manager at Hullett House, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Thank you for staying with us. I would be delighted to pass your compliments to our teams. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

-Raymond

There are newer reviews for Hullett House

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We recently celebrated our Anniversary with a stay at Hullett House and were delighted to fine such a rare boutique hotel experience in Hong Kong. This heritage building has been beautifully restored, and with just 10 hotel rooms, each has been designed with a different Asian flavour. Our Lido Suite was decadent black and gold, lovely balcony overlooking the Cultural Center, and a 4 claw bath tub. We rounded off our visit with an excellent breakfast at the Parlour and walked away happy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmandaO-HongKong
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We've been fortunate to have lived in Hong Kong for the last few years but, sadly, have just left. We decided to spend our last night in a special hotel and we considered the usual options - Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Conrad etc - and had we chosen one of them they would, I'm sure, have been excellent. But we decided that we didn't want big and impersonal, however good, and opted instead for Hullett House Hotel. It's part of 1881 Heritage in the former Marine Police headquarters - a rare thing in Hong Kong where redevelopment seldom means anything other than knocking down old and replacing with new. The building is grand colonial and we had eaten at some of the restaurants and drunk in some of the bars. There are just ten very large rooms in the hotel which open onto a wonderful terrace. Despite the featureless Cultural Centre opposite blocking the Harbour from view, there is still a glimpse of the magical skyline of Hong Kong Island. We chose the Stanley suite as we wanted something soothing rather than the sensory overload of the decor in some of the rooms, and it was perfect. The bathroom, like the bedroom, was massive with a wonderful bath and separate rainforest shower. Service was faultless. We had a problem with hot water which was corrected immediately. With just ten rooms it is very quiet and we hardly saw any other guests. This wouldn't suit everyone but it was just what we needed after a frantic few weeks. Location is great, a short walk from the Star Ferry and from Tsim Sha Tsui underground station and right beside Harbour City shopping centre - with prices a bit less eye-watering than those in most of the shops in 1881. Access is a bit unusual. The entrance is on Kowloon Park Drive from where you take a lift to the reception. Someone came down to collect our baggage but it did take a little while. When you're not checking in or out you can enter through 1881. Hullett House is very different to the other 5 star offerings in Hong Kong. We found it the ideal escape for the hustle and bustle and will definitely stay again when we're back in the city.

Room Tip: They are all unique. Check out the website before you book.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bowendips
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed there for our honeymoon and it couldn't have been a better place to live: the hotel is the oldest building of HK and now a superb boutique hotel which has kept all the charm of its history and heritage, while being very modern and artistic in its interior design.
Huge rooms/suites, terrace, it is extremely quiet, you feel transported a century ago thinking you are a King and a Queen! The bed and huge room and high ceiling was a dream, in a word: a dream!
On top of that, it is perfectly located right next to ferry going to Central and at 30 seconds to HK shopping center, and 2mn from Tsim Sha Tsui subway.
We went to the French restaurant on the first evening which is pure refinement in atmosphere, food and service. Breakfast were also top notch!
This hotel shall definitely be 'The' hotel in HK: it offers such a different perspective and feeling than other 'standard/branded' 5*hotels. Go for it you'll be amazed!

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Stanley' suite, it has a georgeous terrace overlooking the harbour!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Richard79087
Reviewed March 20, 2011

All suite marketing is false as they are large rooms, not suites. management is completely confused an the service is terrible. refused to recognize my leaders club card and give me the amenities. Rude staff. should not be a leading hotel under any circumstances. no 24 hr room service. things don't work. internet painfully slow internet. Rubbish hotel at exorbitant prices.

• Stayed: March 2011
8  Thank kssahni
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The rooms are totally amazing. The staff is lovely but young and not yet polished. This property is so unusual that it could be a very elegant hideaway in the bustle of Hong Kong but it falls a bit short in delivering the quality of experience that you would expect to get when paying the kind of money you are for this hotel. My flight arrived pretty much on time but my driver was not there to greet me. I had to make a call to the hotel to get the driver to come to the arrivals hall. From there it was smooth sailing. Check in was interesting....the lobby is small and tucked away on the first floor but the bellman (boy) met me at the entrance and escorted me upstairs - I would never have found it on my own. The hotel was very empty. Only 2 rooms were occupied. VERY quiet. I was upgraded to the Lido Suite....absolutely breathtaking room and bath. Huge tv screen. All kinds of options for electronics such as ipod, dvd, cds but impossible to figure out. I tried to get my things to work but no luck. If I had called down someone would have been up in shot to help but I did not. I had other things to do. I think the person who brought me to the room should have showed me a little more about the amenities. She was young and although extremely pleasant - inexperienced. I had a package that included a restaurant credit and American breakfast. The food was amazing!! I had dim sum lunch with my friends on the first day and on the second day by myself. It was delicious and the credit was very substantial. Breakfast was delivered promptly to my room and it was hot and delicious! Attention to every detail on the cart.

The room itself had 3 balconies - one of which was usable. The other 2 were unfurnished. The bed and bedding were divine. Towels and amenities were excellent - of VERY high quality. The bathtub (with feet) was purely decadent, however the faucet sprayed all over when turned on......a little disappointing but I "McGyvered" it and got it filled. The rainshower was fab!!

This is a lovely property, most unusual and situated perfectly with a view of the Harbour (you can peek through the Star Ferry building and see the water a bit). With time and attention to training and marketing - it may develop into a very unique hotel but it surely lacks the finishing touches to make this property worth the $$$$$ you pay now.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank princess416
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Do you know the feeling of waking up in a hotel room and not remembering “where” you are?
Do you also hate the generic look of hotels that leave you wondering “why” you bother travelling at all, for the rooms all look and feel the same? – I most certainly do!
Last time I came to Hong Kong, we wanted something “different”, so we stayed at the "Hullett House" boutique hotel.
It’s an exclusive boutique hotel located inside the former Marine Police headquarters, cleverly restored without sacrificing any of its former glory I suspect. We were particularly charmed by the pigeon holes in the court yard, which used to house carrier pigeons. (The manager explained all this to us while he gave us the "grand tour" of this amazing building. There's so much history; I never knew this about Hong Kong...) Best of all, you’re right in the heart of this vibrant city. And while being touched by the ancient history, you remain thankfully untouched by the noise and madness that is Tsimshatsui.
The hotel has a selection of spacious suites, each of which are completely different, representing a different period in Hong Kong's history. We chose the suite called “Shek O”. The splendid and somewhat sinfully decadent decor, paired with the superb service really brought back the magic of travel that we've been missing for so long.
The suite we had gave us a stunning view of the Hong Kong skyline from your own private balcony (already this feature made our stay worthwhile). Their staff was utterly charming and the manager really went out of his way to help us book the perfect table for a special occasion at one of their lovely restaurants, the “St. George” (an excellent choice, by the way!).
I can honestly recommend this hotel; it made our last stay in Hong Kong just this much more special.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple