“Solid hotel in the middle of nowhere!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of L'hotel Island South

L'hotel Island South
Ranked #136 of 697 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver,BC
“Solid hotel in the middle of nowhere!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had to stay here for two nights, as I had meetings with a supplier in this area. In fact, they had recommended this hotel. I go to Hong Kong 3 times a year, and so am quite familiar with the area and hotel standards. Off the bat, I knew this was going to be a frustrating time, as the hotel is rather secluded on the south side of Hong Kong Island.

Arriving at HKG airport, I took the train into HK station. The next hotel shuttle wasn't for another hour, so I opted for a taxi. Took almost 50 minutes to get to the hotel (around 6:30pm, so it was rush hour). Taxi cost ran HK$130--pretty steep. As others have said, lots of construction in the area--normally not that big an issue except for two things: first, during peak times the construction and its detours makes traffic a big problem. Second, if you are in a "Kowloon" taxi, they will not know how to navigate the detours, so good luck! Hopefully, when the MTR is finally constructed, (the reason for the construction), the hotel will be easier to get to.

Upon arrival, as is typical of most HK hotels, you take a elevator to lobby. The guys at the bottom are typical frosty Hong Kongers--efficient, but not friendly, and certainly never a smile. The check-in process was efficient, staff were professional, but again, no smiles, no warm welcome. One VERY odd thing was that at checkin they demanded a HK$1,000 deposit. I have never had this happen at any HK hotel before. Typically, they swipe your card for incidentals, and then charge it at check out. But this hotel insisted charging me the full amount, telling me it would be refunded upon checkout. It's been two weeks, but the amount hasn't yet been refunded on my CC--hopefully this won't become an issue. The hotel is nice, the lobby clean and welcoming. Everything looks modern and wonderful.

I had the cheapest room, and despite what others have said on this site, the rooms are actually very good size for Hong Kong. They are well laid out, comfortable, with good solid furnishings. Yes, the wood flooring is scratched and a bit old, but not a big issue. The bed is very comfortable, the pillows a good mix. All the mod-cons you would expect: lcd tv, mini bar, iPhone dock, multiple sockets for power, etc. However--this was very frustrating--there was no work area?? No desk or chair! Sucks for a business hotel. But then I think this particular property caters primarily to the leisure travelers looking to get away to Ocean Park. Bathroom is very good size for HK, plenty of space to move around. Minor issues were not enough space around sink to put your toiletries, and the shower curtain didn't look very clean. Also, the towels weren't super nice--looked a little raggedy.

Housekeeping was efficient, but a little slow. I came back the first day at 3pm after my meetings and the room still wasn't cleaned. But once cleaned, it was done nicely. I asked for some ice, it was brought up immediately. Room service a little overpriced, but good quality. I had drinks at the bar/lounge downstairs. Service was friendly and quick--prices were actually reasonable for Hong Kong.

All in all, it was a decent stay. I would probably rank this hotel as a 3.5 star property--something akin to a Doubletree or Four Points in North America. Not more than that. It was comfortable, clean with professional service. And it was rather reasonably priced for this caliber of hotel in HK (booked for $165 on cheaptickets for two nights). On the other hand, it was in the middle of nowhere--nothing immediately around the area either. The nearest gas station is difficult to get to, because you can't cross the road. And if you miss the odd timed shuttle to HK station, you have to get a cab back and forth to HK station. So going into the tourist areas will typically take you from 2 to 2.5 hrs round-trip--a waste of time.

Would I stay here again? All things being equal, the answer is NO. I would rather stay closer to the main city or tourist areas, and simply visit the suppliers in the area. Having said that, once the MTR is built, and assuming the rates don't rise too much, this may not be such a bad option--especially if you plan on visiting Ocean Park.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank averagejoe75
lhotelislandsouth, Director of Sales & Marketing at L'hotel Island South, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear averagejoe75

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, and we are sorry to learn that our hotel shuttle service was not able to accommodate your travel concerns during your recent stay with us. Indeed, with the extension of the MTR metro system in the Southern district of Hong Kong, it will definitely bring more convenience to our guests in the future. On your next visit, please feel free to reach our concierge staffs for recommendations in exploring Hong Kong!

Thank you for your constructive feedback once again, and our team and I look forward to another opportunity to regain confidence with us in the future.

L’hotel Island South

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have spend 5 days with 2 children. Everything was really good. We've been upgraded to 29 floor with perfect view and spend a lot of time in swimming pool. Connection with the city on free shuttle bus was easy and smooth. Overall good experience. Only lack of dinning options around would be some negative aspect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eigirdas
Dear eigirdas

Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to learn that you and your family have had a wonderful stay with us! When you plan for a revisit, please feel free to check out our latest accommodation and dining offers available on our hotel website! Our team and I hope to see you again soon!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at L'hotel Island South for two nights as I was a speaker at a nearby convention center. I find it very interesting to have the hotel entrance and lobby be in different floors. The hotel lobby, located on the 4th floor, is very modern and bright. Check-in was smooth and the staff is very helpful.

I stayed in a hill view room on floor 26. The room is pretty spacious (by Hong Kong standards), and I find it pretty convenient to have free wi-fi, an iPod docking station, as well as complimentary breakfast as there are not many restaurants around the hotel. The buffet breakfast offers a variety of both Chinese and Western foods.

The only issue is with the location. The hotel is located on the south side of Hong Kong Island. Traveling time may be a concern as this hotel is pretty far from the bustling city center. However, I appreciate the effort in arranging transportation by the hotel. It has free shuttles to Causeway Bay, Hong Kong MTR Station, and other destinations. I would most likely return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dodie C

Thank you for sharing your comments with us via TripAdvisor platform! We are delighted to learn that our hotel facilities and services as well as our chic and contemporary design have lived up to your expectations! Please feel free to check out our latest accommodation and dining offers available on our hotel website when you plan for a next visit to Hong Kong! Our team and I hope to see you again soon!

Auckland Central, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stay at L'hotel South Island every time I go to Hong Kong as it's easy for me to use the bus and mini bus system, however if you have not been to Hong Kong and thinking about staying here, familiarize yourself with the public transit system as taking cabs is extremely costly to other side of Hong Kong island. The free shuttle driver has a good sense of humour and is extremely friendly.

The food is very pricey for your location, I ran into many problems with the room, my drain in my tub wouldn't work constantly, my tv didn't work much of the time, nor did the Ipod/Iphone dock. The wireless internet cut out a lot but it was free.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MJL590
lhotelislandsouth, Director of Sales & Marketing at L'hotel Island South, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear MJL590

Thank you for bringing your comments to our attention, and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Rest assured that your feedback has been shared with concerned departments for follow up actions. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us, and we look forward to another opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited Hotel Island South two times in April, coming from Western Australia.
It was an awesome and magnificent experience.
Staff was lovely, efficient and careful to all our needs.
Food in the restaurant was very good and there were lots of goodies to chose.
The room was not too big, but however it was nice, modern, and most of all very clean.
It's not in a central position but with the shuttle bus we could go everywhere at every time.
Just the position in the city is not so beautiful because there are decaying buildings all around the hotel, it seems an oasis in the desert.
We advice to stay in this great hotel because it's very competitive for service quality and prices compared to the other same stars hotels in the main street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
lhotelislandsouth, Director of Sales & Marketing at L'hotel Island South, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Sara M

Thank you for your lovely comments! We are thrilled to learn that you and your family have had an enjoyable stay with us! When you plan for a revisit, please feel free to check out our latest accommodation and dining offers available on our official website! We hope to see you again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on this hotel for 3 nights.
Strong points:
1. Close to ocean park that is why we stayed here.
2. Clean room and the staff are friendly.
3. I like their restaurant because of the live performance of the singer, he has a great voice.
4. Free shuttle bus
Weak points
1. Rooms are not that spacious, the wood floor have many scratches.
2. The location of the hotel, MTR is under construction.

Overall if you want a hotel close to ocean park then it is a nice place to stay since they have free shuttle bus going there that is the reason why we stayed here but other than that, nothing else.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mulberry_alexa
Dear Mulberry_alexa

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on TripAdvisor platform. We are delighted to learn that you have made the most out of our complimentary daily scheduled shuttle service! Other than our location being close to the Ocean Park, Jumbo Kingdom, Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay and Stanley are simply within approximately 15 minutes taxi ride from our hotel. On your next visit, please feel free to reach our concierge staffs for more recommendations in exploring especially the relaxing southern part of Hong Kong!

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I had the misfortune to spend a weekend at this hotel, and it was an experience I truly hope never to have to repeat. There was nothing redeeming about the hotel, it's staff or the services provided. The hotel didn't have my booking when I arrived [even with my email confirmation of booking from their sales manager], the staff were entirely unhelpful and unsympathetic, the restaurant was fully booked on the Saturday night, and there is nowehere in the vicinity to eat. Breakfast was uninspiring, with dishes and cutlery left out long after guests had left, I couldn't get any cash [nothing again nearby] so wasn't able even to have a drink in the bar. When I complained, the only thing to try to sweeten the experience was the offer of a late check out -- the last thing I wanted to do was stay longer!

Location is terrible, contruction of the MTR is ongoing, cleanliness is suspect - it's the one hotel where I've felt I needed to wear the complimentary slippers. When I went to the meeting I had on Saturday, I found I was the only person staying in this hotel [which had been recommended by the company hosting the meeting] which sums it all up. Stay once, but never again.

Room Tip: Get as high a room as possible to avoid construction noise