“Great Hotel, Great Value”

L'hotel Island South
Ranked #113 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 12, 2012

My first time stay was a good surprise. I had to go to Hong Kong for a short trip and booked this hotel on Expedia. I was extremely surprised. I arrived late in the evening but managed to have a great dinner at the restaurant. Check in and check out went smoothly and the staff at the door were extremely helpful to get a taxi for the day. They helped me negotiate with a taxi driver. I always found it difficult to find a taxi during peak hours in HK and therefore decided to book ataxia for the whole day including the trip to the airport. The rooms are clean and of good size.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for L'hotel Island South

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Even though the location might scare aou off at first, I can definetly recommend this place. You can be in the city center in 10-15 min, there is even a shuttle bus provided by the hotel. The gym and the pool are a basic, but nice. Something the hotel is missing, is a relly good restaurant and bar. There are plenty of better options in Hong Kong. Besides that, the rooms are very nice and clean and the staff was always helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank robirob15
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Stayed here in mid-December at a cut-price rate which made it reasonable value. My husband was taken ill so we had to stay an extra night for which they charged us full price - extortionate for what it was. The room was large and well equipped but the noise levels ridiculous. The people in the room next door seemed to run water every hour during the night and it was as if they were in the room with us. Also a great deal of noise from people arriving in the middle of the night and going out early in the mornings. We did not have one night of unbroken sleep.
Prices in the restaurant were high although we only had breakfast there a couple of times. After that we brought in our own food for breakfast and found the fridge very useful for this. We chose to stay in this hotel as it was near to where our family live but would probably go further away next time to find a better hotel.
The staff were eventually helpful when my husband was taken ill but initially did not seem interested. I found it difficult to arrange for a doctor to come, send faxes to the insurance company and so on and we were unable to arrange a late checkout on the day we were leaving for a midnight flight from the airport. The most helpful staff were on the garage level where they were unfailingly polite and helpful, opening car doors, dealing with luggage, operating the lifts and calling taxis when needed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We visit durning Chinese new year, so hotel is expensive in HK. This hotel offer better price but in a more remote location. Very busy , too many visitor but services are ok.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night before surgery in HK.
The hotel has no character and really it is an example of
a fantastic website that kind of doesn't t match the product.
It is quite isolated with nothing close at walking distance. Food is ok ( overpriced like in all 4* hotels). My toilet got blocked in the morning I was leaving, no toothbrushes...
I will certainly not be back.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Milloscampeon
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed here for 10 days before Christmas 2011 with a friend. I found the hotel clean and comfortable but the staff was a bit "distanced" the first few days. I took an extra breakfast and minibar included and in the end that payed off. I had free snacks and coffee in the lobby bar from morning to 8PM and that was nice. The hotel is located a bit off the beaten track but taxies are easy to obtain and cheap.
Just about 4 min walk is a place that is worth visiting for those people that dare try a different dinner experience. Its called "Cooked Food Marked" and I found it interesting and the food was good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2012

First of all, the subject is by no means negative.

Seems like a very boutique hotel with many floors and right smack in the middle of an industrial area. Easy to find by cabbies from Wan Chai or Causeway Bay as it tends to be the only hotel in the Aberdeen area.

New hotel that is nearby to some places of interest like The Peak, Ocean Park (within walking distance) and Stanley Market.

Pros ; Rooms are clean and very up-to-date. Internet speed is good and area tends to quiet down by evening. You can have a full day at Ocean Park and just walk back. Shuttle buses to Hong Kong station or Causeway is great. I didnt have problems with cabs but I would imagine that may soon be a problem to get at the hotel if you miss the shuttle. Light behind the mirror and a magnifying mirror (for the ladies) is a nice touch. Check-in was quick and fast without hassle. I think because the hotel is new, it does not seem busy yet.

We did have a bad experience as the bus leaves once its full. Did not expect to get to the waiting bay 10 minutes earlier and was told that the bus to Hong Kong station (going back to airport) has already left. The bus was a 16 seater minibus only. Ended up taking a cab to the airport.

Cons ; Food eating places are hard to find from here. Conveniences are at a minimum like 7-11 as it is an out-of-the-way kind of area. The blinds that cover the bathroom is controlled from the room side. I find that baffling, and I dont understand the reason for it. A hotel I stayed at in Macau has the blinds controlled by the bathing person in the shower, not leave the showering man at the mercy of the blind being pulled or open from the room side, albeit by accident. If you take a cab, you have to bear with the Aberdeen tunnel traffic and have to pay the toll charges that comes with it when you go to and from Causeway Bay. Forget about MTRs, none nearby but I think they are building one in front of the hotel.

But overall I like this hotel with things like security access and docking stations (iphones of course). I might consider staying here again on my next business trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room or else you'd be staring at a hill behind.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family