“Great little gem for Chinese dim sims”

Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists
Ranked #78 of 8,973 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Just found out Tim ho wan the famous dim sum place has now got a branch at IFC. It is located one floor below the airport express HK station city check in. Limited range of dim sims, very reasonable prices, like USD $2.50 - $4 dollars for each type. It is a no frills fast service type, but just the right place to have a quick bite before heading off to the airport. A tip, just do not go at normal meal hours - long queues, which attest to its popularity.

There are newer reviews for Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My boyfriend and I had read about Tim Ho Wan before our trip to Hong Kong and made sure we had a day free to go there for dim sum. We went to the Olympian City branch, and had to queue for about 10 minutes (it was 12.30pm...get there at midday or before if you don't want to queue!). Whilst in the queue, we filled in our menu sheet. The restaurant is small but brightly lit and quite modern-looking, and there is quite a quick turnaround - the waitresses don't mess around here! But we didn't feel rushed at all. We had crispy prawn wontons, har gau (prawn dumplings), mixed meat croquettes, sui mai (pork and prawn dumplings), pork cheung fun and the BBQ pork buns. I'm a massive fan of char sui bau, but these pork buns were different and amazing! Worth the trip alone! All in all, our meal came to a pleasantly surprising £14 (or around HK$150). I would definitely recommend this - or the other branches of Tim Ho Wan - to others who want to try dim sum, or already love it.

4  Thank Laura K
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Dont bother having your meal here. its not worth the nasty treatment from the staff. They treat you like you are there for a free meal.

1)If you miss your q no, you will be"punished" by their deliberate arrogance ie. u wait longer
2)The wait staff will "dumped" your food on your table. No space for your eating bowl.
3) You will be bumped and pushed if you are seated at the aisles.

Spend your money elsewhere. Anywhere but here. You can have better dim sum elsewhere. Not worth the stress and humiliation.

1  Thank mfunfamily
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Quite easy to find after they shifted to Olympian Mall. It's behind the concierge exit door on the left. The place is modern, good lights and atmosphere. It is no longer the $18 average that I know but $24 depends on what you eat. We took the famous pork bun, shrimp dumpling, pork dumpling, congee n etc. The pork bun and pork dumpling (siew mai) were nice. Vermicelli pork wasn't reaching my expectation, same goes to the shrimp dumpling (har gao). Congee was good, but the steam rice was terrible. Steam rice was tasteless and the meat looks uninviting. Overall it is still good to try the hk dim sum here.

P/s: we went to Kwong Wa street before, which was shifted few months ago. If you happen to be there, take the 12s green mini bus to the last station (big tv) to Olympian Mall.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

As a native Hong Konger, I have been to this restaurant once every week, on my own or with friends. You can't go wrong here - for this high quality dim sum at this price you can't ask for more. For two people, expect below HKD150.

Tim Ho Wan, or literally "Lucky Tim" has several branches in Hong Kong (they have expanded in the last 2 years). I have tried their Sham Shui Po, Mong Kok, Olympian City and Central IFC branches. My first encounter with them was in the Sham Shui Po branch, long before they got the Michelin recommendation when that was their only store. Since then I frequented. Overall there is no big difference in quality, food is always served sizzingly hot. Although my other friends who went complained food was served cold as there were too many people. BUT if you are picky on their famous bbq pork bun, I think the Olympian one pales in comparison with other branches, although still good.

There are always long queues, but slightly less people after 7:30pm in Central IFC. Note their last order is around 8pm; 8:30pm in Olympian.

Now there are many dim sum places opening in Hong Kong. My favorites are Lucky Tim and Dimdimsum. I would recommend going to Lucky Tim for a Dim sum 101, then Dimdimsum for the variety, or "fancier" / contemporary dim sum. A recommendation list for dimdimsum would worth another entry!

If you want fancy setting, these are not the places to go. Go to any restaurants under the Maxim Group.

2  Thank SmokieC