“Yummy bbq pork bun!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

There were so much hype about tjis restaurant we couldnt resist not visiting here while we are in hk. Visited the restaurant at its new address as stated below. Luckily did some research and realised it has moved to a new location in mongkok!

Nearest mrt will be olympic and is located in a shopping centre at Olympian city 2. Surprisingly we didnt have to queue at all, perhaps because is a monday afternoon.

I guess my favourite will be their signature bbq pork buns as well as the pork ribs. The rest of the food are still ok.

Spent only 270hkd for 4 ppl and we were so full. Enjoyable meal overall:)
New address:
Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists
????????
Unit A, B, C, G72, Phase II, Olympian City
Hoi Ting Road, Tai Kok Tsui, Hong Kong
???????????????G72? A, B, C?
(+852) 2332 2896
Mon - Sun: 10am - 10pm

Write a ReviewReviews (2,728)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We visited the IFC branch at 330pm and was shown to a table without any wait.
Atmosphere - The seating is cramped and result in less than comfortable dining experience.
Service - our tea pot was taken away and never returned. Not sure if we were meant to share with next table. quality of tea is poor.
Food - only average for HK's dim sum standard, very much like fastfood type
We have tasted much better and cheaper in HK Eg go to Che's in wan chai for the best bbq pork crispy bun, Tao Heung chain of restaurants for relatively better value And quality dim sum.
For a truly local dim sum experience, there is a local joint at Hau Wo street in Kennedy Town.
To us, HTW's reputation seemed over hyped and overstated.

2  Thank BC-Singapore
Reviewed April 12, 2013

In a huge departure from $200+ Michelin Star restaurants, we decided to check out this famous gem in Hong Kong. Note that the Michelin Star is awarded only to the Mong Kok location (if I remember correctly) and it is the one we went to.

According to various sources, Tim Ho Wan is the one of the cheapest Dim Sum restaurants, one of the best Dim Sum restaurants, and the cheapest Michelin star restaurant in the world. After trying it out, the sources don't lie.

We went during the evening (7 PM?) so there was absolutely no wait time for us. We got a table right away (but within the restaurant, it was still quite packed, I guess we got lucky). After seating, we got the menu (all in Chinese, I can't read Chinese) but there was also a picture menu. Not all of the items on the Chinese menu are on the picture menu though so my GF helped with interpreting since she can read. Once ordered, the food came, I swear, within 5 minutes. Blistering fast service.

My definition of good service is not necessarily having the waiters/waitresses babysit you because I'm not a stuck-up princess. The speed of the food is the biggest definer of "service" for me and Tim Ho Wan excelled in this area.

We had tons of Dim Sum which I don't remember unfortunately but the notable ones were the BBQ Pork Bun, Shiu Mai (Pork Balls), and Har Kow (Shrimp Dumplings). Simply fantastic, the BBQ Pork Bun was definitely the best of the bunch as the pork literally melts in your mouth when you bite into it. The bun itself had a sugary crisp coating on the outside like a Pineapple bun. The shiu mai and har kow were juicy and made with amazing craftsmanship (the best looking har kow I have ever seen) and tasted the part just as well.

The total damage was... only $27 for 3 of us. That's cheaper than a full McDonalds meal. We were so full by the end that we were stuffing ourselves. I'm by no means a light eater so already it has won the best BANG FOR BUCK award amongst all restaurants I've been to.

I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone that wants amazing Dim Sum. And you could say you've been to a Michelin Star restaurant too!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

No friendly staff, cheap plastic chairs, had to wait, had the menu thrown at me....and the food was fantastic! hahaha this is what is great about HK! and the bill for a huge lunch, not much more than a big mac meal. You can even shout your friends ;-)

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

So glad they opened a branch right in Central station! the Buns with bbq pork and beef meatballs are to die for, and all for 30-50 hkd for a good meal! definitely a must try place when in HK