“Love the BBQ Pork Buns!”

Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists
Ranked #72 of 8,549 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Love the BBQ Pork Buns!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

With an entourage of 8 adults, 1 preschooler and 1 toddler, we know it's quite impossible to queue, wait for 1-2 hours, and squeeze into this small dim sum place, but we were so eager to try the 1-michellin star dim sum, hence, we cheated and ordered take- away. Mind you even for take-away, we had to wait for 1/2 hour for them to prepare but I'm not complaining. Meanwhile we ate in one of the Char Chan Teng near this establisment to kill time and to partially fill our stomach while waiting for them to churn out hot dim sums.

We went to Yau Ma Tei, it opens at 10am, but queue started way earlier. We filled up the order form and pay and came back 1/2 hour to collect. Service was prompt, nothing friendly and we somewhat expected that, after all we are in HK!

The tricky part is to look for a place to eat. I'm not going to give you any suggestions here as we did it quite 'illegally'. Back to the dim sum, MUST order are the BBQ pork buns and the Osmanthus jelly. Turnip cake is forgettable and har gow and siew mai are above average.

According the staff, there is few branches around, IFC Mall, Sham Sui Po, North Point, but nothing beats this original Mongkok Branch.

To get here, alight at Ya Ma Tei MTR or if you are taking bus - stop at Kwong Wah Hospital.

If you are in HK, you gotta eat dim sum, and if you eat dim sum, it gotta to be Tim Ho Wan for its affordability and its taste. Afterall, when do you get to eat a 1-Michellin star restaurant for a fraction of price?

• Visited December 2012

• Vietnamese first
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Michelin Got it Wrong”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

OK, I am a gweilo (westerner living in HK), but have been living in HK intermittently since I was an exchange student in 1984. Married a local HK girl along the way and living here now

In those 29 years (can it be so long?) I have become somewhat expert in all facets of Chinese cuisine and have to offer my opinion that Tim Ho Wan does not really deserve the 1 star that it has received and maintained.

In 2013, Michelin took away a star from Yat Dim Sum while Tim Ho Wan kept theirs. Just absolutely wrong!

Well, the dim sum here is not bad, it is good, but with the exception of the Char Siu Bao (GREAT!) (everyone romanizes Chinese differently)--the other dishes were not really so special. My wife and I came here last week and came away disappointed. We do not eat large quantities of food, so usually 4-5 plates of dim sum is enough for us to share for lunch, but since the plates here are so small, we had to order 8 dishes to feel full. This is not bad in itself, in fact in some senses is better, since you can sample a larger variety of dishes without gorging, but we could not help feeling that the portion sizes were just too small.

In particular, the ha gao, (shrimp dumplings) were tiny, only 3 in the plate and usually normal sized portions, you can get 2-3 bites out of, these were single bit sized. The shrimp were too chopped up--like a paste and not so flavorful. When you eat the same dish at Yat Dim Sum, the flavor is better, you can see the shrimp pieces and their quality and the portion is about 2X as large.

We ordered Lo Mai Gai (sticky rice in lotus leaf)--this was a nice sized portion, but could have been steamed in the leaf a bit longer to infuse the rice with more of the leaf flavor.

Nothing was bad, it was all OK, but I guess we had high expectations since the restaurant managed to keep its Michelin star. In the end, we left disappointed and will probably not return and go to Yat Dim Sum, even without its star--maybe the wait will be less.

Perhaps with any rivalry, there will always be those who feel Tim Ho Wan is better or Yat Dim Sum is better. Nothing written can ever settle this debate--you have to visit both restaurants and decide for yourself.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank richardg6409
“I know its not about the service but they didn't have to be rude”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I know its traditional to serve tea, but I stupidly asked for water. I got told to 7/11. Very embarassing. Pork buns were as amazing as everyone else says. None of the other dishes we ordered were to our tastes but thats because we aren't used to those flavours.

1 Thank Stacey D
Leicester
“Best Dim Sum we have ever had”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This scruffy looking café hides staggeringly good Dim Sum.
The first challenge is getting a table but once you know the system it is not as daunting as some reviewers found. If the restaurant is full you are given a menu and told when to come back. It is advisable to make your selection before returning. I would always have pork bake buns one serving of 3 each! These are magical apart from that everything on the menu is good.
By the way the tables are very small and you do not have much room but its worth it for the best dim sum my wife and I have ever had

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank mostly_b9
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Dim Sum in the Sam Shui Po branch”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Excellent food as always. I skipped the hotel breakfast and visited this branch for the fantastic dim sum. Make sure you order the Chee Cheong Fun, Carrot Cake, and the Char Siew Pao.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank daoyang_lin

Been to Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists? Share your experiences!