“Great food - awesome price!”

Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists
Ranked #69 of 8,054 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
“Great food - awesome price!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

After reading trip advisor reviews, we decided to visit Tim Ho Wan at about 4pm. We waiting less than 5 minutes for a table, and filled out an order card whil vwaiting (ordering most things on the menu). The restaurant is small/ cramped, but you're not there for the ambiance - just the food. The pork buns were the highlight.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
“Unbelievably cheap”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

For this food I think people would pay double, triple or even more this price, it really is incredible, the food is perfect and just shame its small place but no they start to open more branches I hope quality stays the same, I wouldnt mind paying a bit more even.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Mike K
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
“YUM! Great dim sum, fast service and a smile”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We opted for the Fuk Wing Street (Sham Shui Po MTR) location over the Mongkok and were happy we did. At 5PM on a Sunday night, there was no wait, we were seated immediately! We were given a simple checkbox menu (in both Chinese and English), selected a broad cross section of 5 different items, and waited in high anticipation. We were not disappointed:

Very quickly we were given totally yummy and pipping hot steamed shrimp dumplings and BBQ pork vermicelli. I have never tasted dumplings and vermicelli that fresh and tender before. They melted in your mouth -- not the least bit tough or chewy, YUM.

Our other selections arrived quickly after overwhelming us in yummy smells and different options.

As many before us have said, the signature port buns are awesome and clearly different than the usual steamed or baked options. The sweet exterior reminded me more of a dessert than a savory snack -- I licked my fingers to catch every morsel.

The fried meat dumplings were good, but the steamed options much more tasty. The meatballs had a delightful flavor and the serving size was just right to get a good tasting.

The service was amazingly fast. If anything, we would have preferred things to be delivered a bit more slowly so we could appreciate the different tastes more as different "courses", but we know the mode here is fast turnover. We were not at all rushed and took our time sampling the different dishes finishing every bite.

Though we were content, we had to order again to seal the taste in our minds: shrimp vermicelli, more steamed shrimp dumplings, and an order of pork buns to go. I am still stuffed.

The location was a bit obscure: Exit B off the Sham Shui Po MTR. Go straight through the market -- then a right in Fuk Wing street. Walk about 3-4 blocks to the end of Fuk Wing street. Restaurant on the right side. No sign in English (that we saw anyway). We knew we were there based on The "Michelin Star" stickers on the door.
9-11 Fuk Wing Street,
Sham Shui Po

Staff did not speak English, but were very nice and ordering was certainly easy 'nuf. The fact we clearly enjoyed our meal and said thank you was appreciated. The atmosphere is pretty basic -- bring your own napkins (or purchase for 3 HKD), hand written signs taped to the walls, simple tables, close together. But the rest room was clean and had soap. And the meal was delicious and inexpensive.

All in all -- a great experience! We will certainly be back. Next time we might even try the original Mongkok location.

• Visited October 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Tips for your visit”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

RECOMMENDED: Good food and worthy experience as other reviewers have noted. Let me focus on the procedure.

The best time to visit is late afternoon after 3 pm but before 6 pm. The crowd thins down. It's faster to get in as a group of 2 as most of the tables are in fact set-up for 2 (hence if you're a group of 4 you may wish to split up). Arriving at the restaurant, there will be a group of people milling around. Go to the little desk out front, grab a BLUE menu sheet. When the front man/woman emerges you need to get them to write down your queue number of this sheet.

Once you have a number, you can relax a bit. You will order BEFORE you go into the restaurant by marking on the card (so bring a pen or pencil with you). They will call your number when ready.

When your number is called, hand in your BLUE menu sheet (it's in English), you'll be seated and food automatically entered. Hot tea will be served to you..

NOTE: Like most Chinese restaurants there are no napkins. So bring a package of tissue (a good tip to always have while in Hong Kong).

HINT: You can also order take-away from here and likely shorter wait time. A nearby park on Soy street might allow you some outdoor eating spot.

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank roadwarrior30
Chicago
“Best baked pork buns. Ever.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

While in HK, a colleague at work told me that Tim Ho Wan was THE place to go for dim sum. So on a Saturday morning we headed up to Mongkok to wait it out. Although the queue is pretty long (we waited about 45 minutes, I'm told we were lucky), the process is orderly and efficient! You receive a number and a menu to write your order on so that it's all set when you walk in the door. They fly through those numbers - when people aren't around to meet the call, they move on, which made our wait shorter.

We ordered vermicelli rolls, shrimp dumplings, steamed pork ribs in black bean sauce, spring rolls, and probably other things I can't remember! The baked pork buns are seriously out of this world. Like BEYOND. One of my favorite things I have ever eaten! My friend loved the shrimp dumpling as well. The rest of the dim sum was so-so. When I find myself back in HK though, I will go back just for the buns!

Oh, and it's amazingly cheap - you can stuff yourself for almost nothing!

• Visited September 2012